Santander Ferry 3 Jan

johnnerontheroad

johnnerontheroad - 2014-01-01 3:09 PM

Yes we have, not looking forward to it but needs must and better than driving through France in the same weather.

Dave

You are right Dave - needs must and once there any sickness will be worth while I hope. You can't be certain of a smooth crossing at anytime of year. The only time I have ever been seasick was on a beautiful day one May crossing from Caen to Portsmouth! The problem was a cross wind at just the right speed and angle to make the boat roll strangely mid Channel.. The whole boat including a party of French schoolchildren seemed to be throwing up. My hubby gallantly staggered into the Gents to obtain the last sick bag for me! Good luck Friday. I'm sure Portugal will be worth it. Hazel

Iain Strachan - 2014-01-01 3:59 PM

Good luck let us know how you get on please, and where you stay, when you get off? We are on same ferry on 10th! Have a great trip

Sailing on 3 Jan canceled so now going 5 Jan to Bilboa, but just seen weather not much better than tomorrow so lets see what happens.

Iain will not be stopping at locations around Satander now will just head for Salamanca so no info sorry.

Dave

Guest Had Enough

It's worth mentioning that the winter ferry that we went on three years ago was half the size of the one that we'd used in summer. This meant that it was much more susceptible to high seas. Our journey, which we'd done in summer without a problem, was horrendous. I do suffer from seasickness but my wife is less prone than I am but even she was violently ill for about 18 hours. I just wanted to die! The chairs in our cabin were falling over, such was the movement of the ship.

We vowed never to do it again and now go to Calais and drive on toll motorways and arrive at our destination at the same time as if we'd sailed. I console myself that the cost of the fuel and the tolls is still a lot less than the ferry.

The ferry is a good way to go but only if you can guarantee not to be ill! Some people aren't affected and I'm envious of them, as I'd rather have the sailing than the driving through France in winter, but for us, never again!

I must add that this was a particularly bad storm, for which the captain apologised more than once. Perhaps there are winter crossing that are calm? The trouble is you can't book a calm crossing!

Had Enough - 2014-01-02 12:21 PM

We vowed never to do it again and now go to Calais and drive on toll motorways and arrive at our destination at the same time as if we'd sailed. I console myself that the cost of the fuel and the tolls is still a lot less than the ferry.

It's not when you are over 3mts high and 8mts+ long.

Dave

Worst crossing to Santander I've experienced was when we had a cabin near the front of the ship. The bows were lifting up and crashing down into the water and it was like trying to sleep in a lift - up and down and almost weightless it seemed at the top of the upwards movement!

So, if we find we have a cabin near the bows again in rough weather we would try and get it changed to one nearer the centre of the ship. Unlike airlines you don't seem to be able to choose where you sit, so to speak - unless anyone knows a way?

Guest Had Enough
johnnerontheroad - 2014-01-02 12:26 PM

Dave

I'm sure you're right. Another reason why I shall be sticking to moderately sized motorhomes under 3500kg! (lol) And just before the usual suspects jump in I'm not criticising your choice. I can see the pros and cons of larger or smaller 'vans. We each choose our own motorhoming lifestyle. My ideal 'van would be 5 metres long on the outside and 8 metres inside, but so far Tardis.Com hasn't entered the leisure vehicle market! ;-)

Had Enough - 2014-01-02 12:54 PM

johnnerontheroad - 2014-01-02 12:26 PM

Dave

I'm sure you're right. Another reason why I shall be sticking to moderately sized motorhomes under 3500kg! (lol) And just before the usual suspects jump in I'm not criticising your choice. I can see the pros and cons of larger or smaller 'vans. We each choose our own motorhoming lifestyle. My ideal 'van would be 5 metres long on the outside and 8 metres inside, but so far Tardis.Com hasn't entered the leisure vehicle market! ;-)

.....Frank.....but it has produced a 6mtr one. Arguable the star of the NEC show a few months ago.

http://www.hayesleisure.co.uk/used-motorhome-pilote-motorhome-132

Incidentally, when we came Bach from Spain to Portsmouth mid-December 2012 the crossing was like a mill pond and very competitively priced as everyone was heading in the opposite direction ;-)

Iain Strachan - 2014-01-02 2:36 PM

Tnx Dave, have safe and good journey we have just checked, its too early to say what is happening on the 10th! Could be a long stay on the quay at Portsmouth.

Cheers Iain

Iain,

Just changed to 10 Jan so would you like to meet for a drink on board? Looked at the weather for 5th thought to rough to sail and tried to get on 8 Jan to Bilboa but no cabins so plumbed for the 10th.

Dave

I have spent a fair bit of time at sea in vessels of 20,000 tons down to 12 ft long and so far never been seasick and a few times been the only person aboard unnaffected.

However I still think the bumps in the road down through France will be several sizes smaller than the ones on the sea across the bay of Biscay. The thump on the flat bottom of a big ship when she comes of the top of a big wave can be a tad worrying.

Bon Voyage.

Yes we have, not looking forward to it but needs must and better than driving through France in the same weather.

Dave

Have you ever been through the Bay of Biscuit in January before ?? At least in France you will be on 'Dryish' land. ;-) Ray

Rayjsj - 2014-01-02 8:18 PM

Dave

Have you ever been through the Bay of Biscuit in January before ?? At least in France you will be on 'Dryish' land. ;-) Ray

Last 2 years no problems and France also gets floods *-)

Well John will be on the ferry today so wonder how it worked out.

In terms of survival, the ferry is probably a million (literally) times safer than driving down through France with windscreen wipers at full speed in torrential rain.

DavyS - 2014-01-05 12:24 PM

Well John will be on the ferry today so wonder how it worked out.

In terms of survival, the ferry is probably a million (literally) times safer than driving down through France with windscreen wipers at full speed in torrential rain.

An earlier post stated that he had delayed departure until 10 January. Wise move. My house overlooks the channel and it's rough out there.

Archived