The Road to Morocco

Guest Had Enough

Guest Had Enough

Off to Morocco on Saturday morning. Still not made up my mind - Ceuta or Tangier Med?

Anyone any experience of both? We'll be seeing Carlos for the tickets.

Thanks.

We crossed via Ceuta but next time will be crossing via Tangier Med.

If this is your first time I would highly recommend Tangier Med. Ceuta is a fairly manic land border with all the theatrics that ensues - fixers, hustle and bustle, people on foot and so forth.

By comparison (I'm lead to believe) Tangier Med is a closed port (like Calais) and so the only people who are there are those who are official. It will probably make for a more relaxed experience.

Our experiences are on our blog:

http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Morocco

Guest Had Enough
Addie - 2014-01-02 7:51 PM

We crossed via Ceuta but next time will be crossing via Tangier Med.

If this is your first time I would highly recommend Tangier Med. Ceuta is a fairly manic land border with all the theatrics that ensues - fixers, hustle and bustle, people on foot and so forth.

By comparison (I'm lead to believe) Tangier Med is a closed port (like Calais) and so the only people who are there are those who are official. It will probably make for a more relaxed experience.

Our experiences are on our blog:

http://www.europebycamper.com/search/label/Morocco

Thank you, that's very helpful. I've had a quick look at your excellent blog which also contains some very good tips and I'll read it in full later.

I was attracted to Ceuta for its uniqueness, being a Spanish enclave in Morocco. I also fancied Tangier Med for its ease of transit and lack of hustlers. I think that your advice will sway me to Tangier though.

Thanks again for a swift and very useful response.

Guest pelmetman

Take lots of sweets.....ballpoint pens.....pencils etc........Frank ;-)....................It'll keep the sprogs happy :D.....

Mind you last time I took a camper around Morocco was the late 70's so things may of changed :-S..........plus keep away from the edges of the road.........unless they have finally discovered Kerb stones... *-).............nearly forgot the.............. electrics.....................they were well dodgy :D

Enjoy :-D .............

The route thro Ceuta is very traumatic at the Morroccan border. It is very busy and morroccons with official name tags will help you thro for a small price - haggle. Get the campsite book from Vicarious books and you can download the import docs for your van - saves time! Best route is through tangier sand you can do the paperwork on the ferry then drive off almost apart from one or two simple checks. Lupus

We too would echo the port of Ceuta.

It is absolute madness - strange people approach you and for a fee take your passports and import/export documents for checking and you can only hope they reappear - they did for us but don't pay them up front!

It's quite stressful and intimidating and we were with a group!

ips - 2014-01-09 11:35 AM

It all sounds absolutely awful, we once visited Agadir (cruise ship stop off point) never again.

I too can echo that sentiment!

Not only is Agadir a bit of a dump (or was in 2009) but the continual begging and harassment from the locals can make your visit quite tiresome at times - as do the 'special' prices which seem to be 'specially' applied to cruise ship one day only tourists!

Was 2006 when we went, got off the ship for a walk up the harbour and was followed by a very nice young Moroccan policeman, fully armed. He said "I will follow you at a distance, you don't want to walk around here on your own" which he did, I thanked him and gave him a cigar which he was very happy about. Later we had an excursion up into the hills to see some ruin, I had the opportunity to sell mrs ips for 100 camels but politely declined, then we were accosted by hoards of locals trying to sell us all kinds of cack and take us on tours... as I say never ever ever again.

Archived