battery master-do i have to disconnect when van batt. removed?

birdybiker66

The van (starter) battery seems to have died so until i get it checked out and swop it i have disconnected it.

The battery master LED now shows red which means it's feeding through, is it better to leave the leisure batts to feed the van or disconnect the batt master ? Thanks, Dave (Fiat - Bessacarr E480)

I assume you are referring to the Battery Master (BM) product marketed by Van Bitz.

The Customer Instructions for this are shown here:

http://www.outdoorbits.com/Brochures/Battery_Master_Customer_instructions.pdf

I'm not 100% sure what your "...I have disconnected it." statement means. If you've completely disconnected the starter battery (ie. removed all the cables from both battery-terminals) I would not have thought it should be possible for charge to be transferred anywhere from the leisure batteries via the BM despite its red LED being illuminated. On the other hand, as the BM's red LED is illuminated, charge MIGHT be being transferred somewhere.

You could ask Van Bitz for advice, but the wisest approach would be to disconnect the BM at the starter-battery end AND at the leisure-battery end, and reconnect after you've replaced the starter-battery. There's no obvious reason (as far as I can see) to disconnect the leisure-batteries themselves - just temporarily disconnect the Battery Master where it connects to the batteries.

Thanks for the feedback, I tried the FAQs on the Vanbitz website to no avail and couldn't get through on the phone, However, I've spoke to them today and they're quite happy if i leave the BM connected if only for a few days with the van battery removed. According to them if its been fitted properly it will be connected into the wiring loom and not direct to the batteries, either way I can't find any obvious connections.

Anyway, so far so good and thanks again, Dave

The Battery Master switches feed to the starter battery when the starter battery voltage is lower than that of the leisure battery.

If the starter battery is disconnected then the voltage at its connections will clearly be less than the leisure battery voltage. The BM will therefore switch over and its LED indicator will illuminate.

The only additional drain on the leisure battery when the BM has switched over (with the starter battery removed) is likely to be the LED current and the switchover activation circuit current, which is minimal.

If it was me, I would disconnect the leisure battery if the starter battery was removed for more than 2-3 days.

G

Sorry - I need to correct my last post.

The additional drain on the leisure battery when the BM has switched over (with the starter battery removed) is likely to be the LED current, the switchover activation circuit current and the systems normally permanently energised by the starter battery (alarm, CAN-bus etc).

I don't want to mislead.

G

Archived