To travellers, the importance of this forum.

Raybo

Hello to everyone, This is our situation: We have sold our house in Scotland and we are living in our motorhome - a Hymer S510 - while we operate our roadside cafe in summer. The cafe is also for sale and we hope we have at least an interested buyer and that this is the last year we will run the cafe. If not we will have to come back and operate it next year, but we prefer to retire now, we are both sixty. In the island of Crete, Greece, we own about an acre of Olive grove with 43 trees which have to be harvested around November. We also have just acquired planning permission for this land which means we can build a house there. Also we have a small rented apartment in the same village. Thus we have have two different lifestyles and places to live. The motorhome is the only link between the two plus we travel slowly between Scotland and Greece and try to see as much as we can. Therefore we have no real interest in Caravan Clubs etc but we do like and need to have contact with others of a like mind who know about motorhomes and Europe and can help us when we have a problem or query. Obviously we repay this by offering that which is in our experience. We buy the MMM magazine when we can but mostly use the web for finding out stuff that is not always common knowledge. Our plans are to explore Greece comprehensively, not only Crete, and to spend time in France, Italy, Spain, Portugal and others. Sometimes on site but also Aires and wild camping. We are not fulltimers, but neither are we holidaymakers as such and we wonder if there are any others out there like us? Please let us know? But that is why, to us anyway, this forum is so important. Who knows what can happen? As long as we have somewhere to address our questions when we need to as well as contributing our own answers, then we at least have a reference point. So thanks. Very much. Ann and Ray www.lovingcrete.com

Hello Ann & Roy, Welcome to out and about. Crete is one of the greek islands we have not visited yet, it's on the list for the near future, so we might be looking for some advice on the island. We've made it to Rhodes a couple of times and had a very enjoyable time. Regards Don

Hi Don, I do very much recommend Crete over Rhodes. It is much bigger and the people are extraordinary in their hospitality and friendliness. There are three (at least) huge mountain ranges all with good roads and dozens of tiny beaches as well as huge beaches where you can sit and dream and wild camp. Incredible (and cheap tavernas) splendid villages and a million other reasons why you should take the ferry. There are so few motorhomes on Crete that it is unbelievable and no-one minds at all where you stop except to invite you in for a coffee, a raki, a wine and some cakes. That is why I have a motorhome as well, Crete is motorhome heaven. Ann and Ray www.lovingcrete.com

Dear Ann and Ray I have friends who keep a boat in Greece and spend three months a year sailing. I want to visit them next year by taking my motorhome from the UK to Greece. Which is your preferred route? If you have a moment I would really appreciate a bit of guidance. Sincerely Christopher

Hi Christopher, There are many routes to Greece. Some go through Belgium and Germany and Austria and you may prefer this route. But my fastest route to Greece is to France, along autoroutes to the Mont Blanc tunnel then to Milan ringroad and thence to Ancona where you take a ferry to either Igomenitsa or to Patras. Slower is to the Italian port of Brindisi which I have used a few times but I am wary of the reports of crime there. You can of course take your pick, but the Mont Blanc tunnel - Milan - Ancona route is my favourite to get to Greece. All the best Ann and Ray www.lovingcrete.com

To all, I should perhaps add that I have a good knowledge of Greece and of Crete in particular. Anything you want to know, just ask. Either I can reply or I can direct you to a place that has the information. Many years ago I used to work in Crete so I learned the language after a fashion - kathourevesa - but I also learned some dhimotiki - the language that Greeks speak now - always did for that matter. Whatever, just ask. Greece is a fantastic country with little or no crime and tremendously hospitable people. It is almost a complete mistake not to go there. Ann and Ray www.lovingcrete.com

Hello Ann & Roy, I was very interested in your favorite route via the Mont Blanc Tunnel. We prefer a route via the St Gothard Tunnel in Switzerland as we mainly travel out in Dec/Jan and back in May/June. The Swiss are a lot better than the French at keeping the main roads clear of snow. We use the Brindisi - Igoumenitsa crossing as a couple of the ferry companies turn a blind eye to you sleeping in the van during the winter. We agree with your statement about Greece, we first visited Greece in 1969 when we drove home after serving with the RAF in Cyprus. We have visited the country many times since. We have spent three out of the last five winters in Turkey, the next time we go (Jan 2008) we hope to return via Crete. We might be able to arrange a get together. Regards Don

Hi Don, The route via Mont Blanc tunnel is as close as you can go to Geneva whilst staying in France. The problem of having to pay Swiss road tax is the problem with entering Switzerland unless you have to. Many of the ferry companies leaving Brindisi now operate from Ancona too. You can ride deck class - ie in your van - during the summer without problems. It can be done all year sometimes with a 20 Euro note. Yes Greece is indeed very special. Each time I cross the borders I feel I am at home. Can't say that for the UK anymore. Yes I am sure we can meet up in Crete. All the best Ann & Ray

[QUOTE]Raybo - 2006-08-28 9:08 PM Hi Don, The route via Mont Blanc tunnel is as close as you can go to Geneva whilst staying in France. The problem of having to pay Swiss road tax is the problem with entering Switzerland unless you have to. Many of the ferry companies leaving Brindisi now operate from Ancona too. You can ride deck class - ie in your van - during the summer without problems. It can be done all year sometimes with a 20 Euro note. Yes Greece is indeed very special. Each time I cross the borders I feel I am at home. Can't say that for the UK anymore. Yes I am sure we can meet up in Crete. All the best Ann & Ray [/QUOTE] Hello Ann & Roy, The Swiss Vignette is valid for 14 months, cost about £18, I paid nearly that much for a single trip through the Mont Blanc tunnel. There's also the French Peage to consider as well. You have got a bit mixed up with the ferries, only Fragline, My Way and Agoudimos operate out of Brindisi. None of them sail from Ancona. Regards Don

Hi Don, Actually the Mont Blanc tunnel was 40 Euros when I last went through so it does cost more. I have never really looked into the Swiss vignette, perhaps I should. :-S It shows that I never use Brindisi doesn't it. I have never heard of these ferry companies, except My Way. Still the route I gave was probably one of the fastest all things considered and the ferries are basically Anek or Superfast. And ah . . . the peage.... Ann & Ray

• 2 weeks later...

Archived