Starter battery drain, where do i start looking? Fiat Bessacarr

birdybiker66

I've had a look at a few other posts on the quality of looms and poor installation but any tips greatly appreciated. During the cold snap the other week the MH wouldn't start so i jump started it and went for an hours run (it also has 2 leisure batteries and a Vanbitz battery master)

I parked it up (no hook up!) and after 2 days the battery was down to about 11.5 volts, I've had the battery checked and it's fine, I currently have a different one fitted and that only lasted a day!

So I'm guessing i have a loom problem (or some component problem) but don't know how to go about finding it! I'm going to disconnect the Battery master this w/e just in case they can go faulty and i can then elliminate it. I'm then going to remove all the extra connections from the positive battery connection and go from there ! any one else had the same ? Thanks, Dave

Yes,we also had an e 460 bought from new Bessie, 2008, which we kept charged on ehu, however when we moved home and then had to park in the main road, found that the battery was flat after2/3 days it was eventually towed into fiat and they found that the reversing camera part of the blaupunkt system was permanently live, thus draining the battery big time, the camera eventually packed up so the dealer agreed to change the camera free of charge to a waeco one then no further problems, hope this helps.

If you have an alarm system fitted and it's activated for a length of time without the motorhome being used then the battery will go flat within a short space of time. An ideal thing to overcome the problem would be to have a solar panel fitted assuming it is parked in the open. This will ensure the battery level remains healthy.

Thanks for trying to put my mind at rest but I fitted a fully charged battery from the works garage last night and it was down below 12 volts this teatime and wouldn't start so I think i have a problem.

Roland, I have considered a solar panel but assumed 2 leisure batteries should be enough, Last month it easily sat for 3 weeks without a problem and that was with only one leisure battery! but it has turned a bit cooler !

You seem to be assuming that the van can be started on the leisure batteries......as you think two are better than one?

The vehicle battery will gradually be brought down by alarm systems and it is this battery that will start your van. Now, if the battery master is supposed to transfer power from the leisure battery to the vehicle battery then it may last a little longer.

One thing to remember is that, withthe Sargent PSU turned on, there will be drain on the leisure battery due to systems monitoring etc.

I have installed an 85W solar panel and use Sargents 'smart charging' to keep our two leisure batteries and the cab battery fully charged.

When you disconnect the wires from the starter battery connect an ammeter in series with each wire back to the positive terminal in turn and you should see which of these wires is taking current. You can then investigate where this wire feeds. Make sure also that you have the code if needed for the radio.

Yes, the Battery master drip feeds the starter battery as reqd, but only if they have enough charge left themselves! I don't want to turn thr PSU off as I have read somewhere it's best not to.

I would like to think I'm expecting too much from the battery but the alarm is off at the moment and the fully charged battery didn't last 24 hrs, that can't be right?

Thanks for that Peter, Hadn't quite thought of that yet :$

Yes you can power shutdown the Sargent PSU. This will isolate the leisure batteries ensuring no untoward drain.

This unit would only be monitoring water levels etc and providing a 'smart' charging facility which you are not using so i would power it down and save some juice.

I would also get the exceptional drain sorted by a professional.

Any chance of getting an EHU to the van in the interim?

While replacing the Sargent PSU for the second time our dealer noticed that the instrument panel was glowing faintly when all vehicle electrics were off. (Fiat Ducato 12 reg'). The panel was replaced under guarantee by Fiat, and they mentioned they had had to replace a few of late.

Worth checking on a dark night!

I would mention also that a small solar charger (from Maplin) provides a good trickle charge, the voltage shown on said PSU shows 3.5 volts when vehicle battery is isolated on ignition switch. Masking the panel with a towel or whatever causes this reading to fall immediately.

Thankyou for that info, very interesting to me and others i would think, forgive my ignorance but which panel ? As you have mentioned the Sargent panel i assume you mean that or do you mean the control panel with the battery, water and pump etc display ?

ps. An update ( if anyone is interested) I disconnected all the seperate feeds from the starter battery and put a multimeter in series and can't find anything significant, I have had the 'Van on EHU for 3 days and now it's back at the storage farm, after 3 days it seems stable at 12.5 Vs, I'll know better in another few days. Dave

Archived