Renting out my motorhome

Motorhomeowner

I know this topic has been discussed here a few times, but we were thinking about renting out our motorhome and share many of the same fears that I have been raised on these boards in the past.

But, we also felt that we would be much more comfortable renting our vehicle out to someone that also owned a motorhome themselves. We feel that a fellow owner would be far more likely to be respectful of our motorhome.

Do others feel the same way, and does any one have any experience renting to another owner, or know of places that can connect us with other owners looking to rent?

What a strange first post why would a motorhome owner want or need to hire a motorhome?, The cynic in me expects a plug for a motorhome renting facilitating agency.

If not i would suggest that anyone who does not own the motorhome they are using will never be as careful as if it was owned by them that's just human nature.

Dr Dave - it may simply be more specifically regarding renting to non-residents of the UK, for example someone from Australia, USA etc who want to hire a motorhome but not from a main renting agency? It could also be useful for someone who want to change to a different model/type of MH/camper than they have to see how they get on with it?

I suppose putting some ads on UK and foreign motorhome forums would be a place to start?

I wouldn't rent anything of mine out, it is a fact that things just don't get looked after.

I know someone who rented their house out to a "nice" couple, full references etc.

It took two weeks and a builder to put it right afterwards.

I suppose that's why the rental firms want a hefty deposit, at least they can keep what they want to make repairs.

I once loaned a motorhome to someone and it came back with deep scratches and dents up the nearside.

It might be small but my motorhome is my second castle, mine, all mine!

H

Mel B - 2014-01-09 4:28 PM

Dr Dave - it may simply be more specifically regarding renting to non-residents of the UK, for example someone from Australia, USA etc who want to hire a motorhome but not from a main renting agency? It could also be useful for someone who want to change to a different model/type of MH/camper than they have to see how they get on with it?

I suppose putting some ads on UK and foreign motorhome forums would be a place to start?

I suppose you may be right Mel, However the generic name of the poster, and a first post rang an alarm bell I may be getting cynical in my old age, however as far as i am concerned what is mine is mine i really don't even like mechanics driving our van but that's just me.

Don't burn out those Titan drill bits will you?

Happy New Year

When we were looking at second hand motorhomes I was surprised at how dirty some were. Both private and dealer sales. "Of course, sir, the van will have a full valet before you collect it". If that is how some people offer their van for sale there is no guarantee a hirer will take good care. Be prepared for the worst.

Dr Dave - 2014-01-09 4:58 PM

Don't burn out those Titan drill bits will you?

Happy New Year

Why ... do you want some 'orifices' creating somewhere? :D

I used them quite a lot doing the kitchen and didn't have any problems at all, the large hole saw was extremely useful to put in an access hole so we can get at the isolation valve to turn off the water supply to the outside tap if needs be. I've used the masonry drills too on quite a lot of jobs now and we have VERY hard bricks, again no issues to report. I wouldn't expect a £5 box of drills etc to perform the same as something costing probably 10-20 times more, but as I didn't buy them to use in that way then I'm certainly not complaining and so far they are proving to be very useful.

Guest Peter James
Motorhomeowner - 2014-01-09 3:38 PM

places that can connect us with other owners looking to rent?

I could do that. I have got a phone and PC. All I need is a few mugs to put up all the capital, take all the risk and do all the work. (lol)

By the way How are you at dealing with angry families missing their holiday because they are waiting in your home for a motorhome brought back late and damaged by the last hirer ;-)

I'd rather rent out my house!! I love my van its my pride&joy just the thought of anyone else messing about with it urgh :stains ,scratches ,stickiness,bleaugh !! Don't do it:it's my haven I'm off to see it today for a few days first time in a month yippee :- I hope the mice haven't moved in like they did in the other van last year!! Course you might not humanise your van like I have lol pp:) (he's called big sooty)

Archived