5th gear on a fiat

Arthur Brown

Hi

My neighbour is currently in Spain and lost his 5th gear en route. He has asked me to price a replacement. I assume the bolt on bit will be the problem so in line with that thinking can anyone inform me of the approx cost to replace the bolt on. W reg Fiat 2.8. Is there a non fiat part produced to replace the bolt on? looking forward to your replies.

Art

This reasonably recent comment advises on UK prices for 'bolt on' 5th-gear parts and on the man-hours likely to be required to carry out the repair. (Obviously, no 100% firm figure for parts can be given until the cause/extent of your neighbour's gearbox problem has been established.)

http://motorhomevagabond.com/fulltiming/fiat-ducato-5th-gear-finally-repaired/

Replacement gearbox parts are not the sort of things one would expect to be offered other than by the gearbox manufacturer. Nick Fisher (Euroserv) will be able to advise expertly on this, but I would expect the necessary bits can only be sourced from Citroen/Fiat/Peugeot.

This may be useful.

http://www.seered.co.uk/fiat_mmm.htm

silverback - 2014-01-10 10:03 PM

on my previous motorhome same prob but lost 3rd as well, local backstreet garage £1300 took box out sent for refurb took a week

jon

With the Ducato 5-speed gearbox being discussed here the components relating to 3rd gear are buried inaccessibly inside the gearbox, whereas the 5th-gear parts can be reached fairly easily by removing an external cover. Your problem involved 3rd-gear and repairs would have required gearbox removal and disassembly - hence the £1300 cost. Hopefully Arthur's neighbour's problem will be restricted to the 5th-gear bits.

(There was an article in August 2012 MMM magazine detailing how the high 5th-gear ratio used on many older Ducatos could usefully be lowered by replacing the standard pair of gears. The cost of the necessary components (ie. the Fiat modification kit, seal and oil) was given as £280.67. This figure was based on prices taken from the Fiat Professional EPER parts catalogue, Edition 54 valid May 2010, so may not be up-to-date.)

thanks guys for your input. My understanding is that it is only 5th gear which has given up. He continued his journey using 4th as a top gear and the others operated as normal. My thinking therefore is that the problem is within the bolt on but he is not back for three months so what I have learned is that we will not know the exact problem until 5th is removed and examined. Cost will depend upon findings but Dereks pointer provided a guide to possibilities.

Many thanks and I welcome any further comments.

Art

If 5th gear has "failed", is it safe to continue driving using 4th?

I do not know what happens when 5th "fails", does it mean that there are lots of bits floating round the gearbox outer casing and if so, can they get into the main housing and cause even more damage?

A number of people have driven their Seval based motorcaravans back tothe UK from Spain with a dead fifth gear. A typical failure occurs when the synchromesh teeth break off so that the gear will not stay engaged. A couple of broken teeth can be enough. If one of the half a little fingernail sized teeth fall between the fith gear cogs and smash cog teeth up then there is a lot of debris that could well do damage in the main gearbox.

If the synchro teeth drop straight to the bottom of the detachable case there is a good chance they will stay put and is probably why some long trips have been made with no fifth.

Fitting a new fifth gear set (only sold as a pair) is relatively easy. One wheel off to get acess to the cover and a very big spanner to undo the nut that hold the gear on. It used to be a sub £500 job.including parts.

Archived