Tyre valve failure

colin weston

Ref your comments about my tyres being Agilis rather than XC camping tyres. Going on the Michelin web site it appears that Agilis are recommended for camper vans and for my vehicle in either 215 or 225 sections. Maybe Agilis has replaced the XC? Having covered around 35,000 miles I know I shouldn't be reluctant to replace them but they last so long, still plenty of tread left. Apart from the extra load capacity of a 225 tyre compared to a 215 does anyone have an opinion regarding ride difference, etc. Michelin rate them equally in terms of fuel economy, wet stopping distance and noise.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michelin's replacement for the XC Camping is the Agilis Camping tyre. Plain vanilla Agilis tyres can be used, subject to size, speed and load ratings all being appropriate (same goes for other brands as well). The merits of using Camping tyres (only made by Continental, Michelin and Pirelli), relative to ordinary "withe van" tyres, is a much debated subject.

colin weston - 2014-01-22 4:44 PM

Ref your comments about my tyres being Agilis rather than XC camping tyres. Going on the Michelin web site it appears that Agilis are recommended for camper vans and for my vehicle in either 215 or 225 sections. Maybe Agilis has replaced the XC? Having covered around 35,000 miles I know I shouldn't be reluctant to replace them but they last so long, still plenty of tread left. Apart from the extra load capacity of a 225 tyre compared to a 215 does anyone have an opinion regarding ride difference, etc. Michelin rate them equally in terms of fuel economy, wet stopping distance and noise.

Michelin uses the "Agilis" name for its ranges of light-commercial vehicle (ie. vans) tyres.

Nowadays there are 4 ranges:

"Agilis" - (now in a limited number of sizes.)

"Agilis+" - Michelin's recently-introduced standard 'white van' tyre and the successor to Agilis.

"Agilis Camping" - designed especially for motorhomes.

"Agilis Alpin" - a 'winter' tyre for utility vehicles and vans.

If you replaced your Starburst's 225/70 R15C tyres with 215/70 R15C ones, you'd lower the vehicle's overall gearing by about 2% due to the latter's smaller rolling circumference - that's unavoidable. Otherwise, as tyres differ in their on-road performance (proven by pro-mobil's testing), it's impossible to be sure what opting for a 215/70 profile would actually do.

As you say, Michelin's 'EU labelling' data for Agilis+ are the same for 215/70 R15C and 225/70 R15C, and match the Hankook RA18 data for the same two sizes. Pro-mobil's report indicates that Agilis+ had the lowest rolling resistance of any of the 6 tyres on test (which should result in fuel savings) but was less good than the RA18 regarding wet and dry braking (which is what one might expect). As your Starburst started life with 225/70-section tyres and you've been driving the vehicle for 7 years with (presumably) no complaints regarding how it brakes and handles, I suggest you stay with the 225mm tyre width.

35,000 miles is a significant distance and (even though they may stlll be well above the UK's tread-depth minimum) I'd be very surprised if your motorhome's front tyres haven't lost a good percentage of their original tread.

If you plan to sell your motorhome in the very near future, it would probably make financial sense not to change its tyres. If you plan to keep your motorhome for, say, 3 more years, and swap the tyres just before selling it, you need to ask yourself how 'safe' its tyres will be during the next 3 years. If you changed the tyres now and sold the vehicle in 3 years time, you'd have had the best 3 years of the replacement tyres' lifespan and the tyres would still have plenty of tread-depth left at sale time. The question is "if I don't replace the tyres now, when will I replace them?"

Thanks for your comments. I guess it's time to close this thread now. As for selling the van, you must be joking! This van will last me out. We had some special features incorporated when Autocruise really took an interest in their customers and we will keep it as long as possible. It didn't win that award for nothing.

Archived