Exterior Locker Catches

martin h

The exterior locker catches on my Autotrail are worn and no longer hold the lockers open. I have brought new catches but have noticed the existing catch screws have mastic/sealant round them, I assume to prevent water ingress. Can someone please recommend what mastic/sealant I need when I replace the catches?

Thanks in advance.

Any good PU sealant, Sikaflex, Puraflex - for example. Clean the surface with solvent prior to installation - Acetone, MEK, Isopropol - don't use white spirit, or meths

'Dip' the screws in the sealant as well as applying in the hole and back of the catch.

Just don't use Silicone.

"Silicone" is a word used to refer generically to certain types of sealant and DIYers will probably be most familiar with silicone sealants used for waterproofing edge-joins in bathrooms and kitchens. There is the possibility with such products that an unsuitable, or less than optimum type of silicone sealant will be chosen for a particular task (say fitting double-glazed panes in windows or constructing aquaria).

http://www.diyfixit.co.uk/building/sealants-an-ultimate-guide.html

For what you want to do an appropriate silicone sealant should water-proof the fixing screws, but it won't provide the 'grip' of a polyurethane-based adhesive/sealant product.

If you GOOGLE-search on "polyurethane sealant", you'll find plenty of choices (and plenty of different prices!) but Sikaflex-512 Caravan will be fine.

(Check the 'Use by' date of the sealant cartridge. Also be aware that, once a Sikaflex-512 cartridge is opened, the contents won't remain usable long-term.)

Archived