Roller Team

dicky

Hi, just wondering has anyone got an opinion on the Roller Team, i`ve just ordered a new Pegaso GT on the Fiat 3.0 160 bhp chassis, but have`nt given a deposit yet and as it`s my first camper im a bit scared i`ve gone for the wrong one as no one else seem to have a Roller team.What ye think. (?)

Hi, I have just ordered a roller team granduca 295p at the Dusseldorf show.They are very well equipped and according to my research they are very robust, I looked at the pegaso and thought they were superb but we dont need the overcab so went for the low profile.Collect it in the spring of next year .

We bought a 4 berth Roller Team AutoRoller 10 in April (our first motorhome). We've only used it for one short holiday this summer and a few days out. My brother has just used it for a week in Scotland. We're happy with it so far. It has a 2.0 litre TD engine and it pulls and handles really well. We find there's just about enough room for the pair of us and two kids (9 & 7). The only problem so far is a dodgy truma boiler. It has had a new gas burner fitted but it stopped working again last week. The problem seems to be due to air locks in the gas pipe but we're not sure yet. I wonder if anyone else has had similar problems? I bet you can't wait until you take delivery! I look forward to hearing how things go. All the best.

Hi, It is our first motorhome as well, been looking for two years and went to Dusseldorf last year as well, its quite an eye opener , plenty of choice and some great deals on offer. We went as a party of six and spent the evenings in the Aldstat eating and drinking pouring over motorhome details, ended up ordering one per couple, two Roller teams and one Hymer. Now the long wait begins!

To those of you who have ordered vans at Dusseldorf: if you have ordered from a German dealer and you live in UK and intend making a personal import of your vans, do check your insurance cover very carefully. 

Your van is likely to be "delivered" to you on temporary German registration plates.  With these (generally) comes a temporary insurance package.  You should check the extent of this temporary cover since, up to the present time, the only cover available has been the most basic form of third party insurance required under German law. 

You are likely to find that you cannot obtain fully comprehensive insurance for your vans in either Germany or UK.  You may currently be able to get comprehensive cover for the van once it is in UK, probably against the chassis number, but not the German registration number, but do check exactly when/where that cover will commence.  Hitherto, it has not commenced until the van is actually on UK soil.  If you find you can get fully comp in either Germany or UK, you've cracked it!  In that case, please post where from/how, as this has not to date proved possible.

This situation is set to change after June 2007 but, until then and so far as I know, the situation is as I have described above. 

The implication is that you will have to drive your van from the German dealer to the UK with no insurance against damage to the van itself (unless, if you are unlucky enough to have an accident, you are able to claim 100% of the damage against someone else's insurance), loss of contents, fire or theft.

If I may, I'd strongly suggest you commence investigating your insurance options as soon as possible, unless you have already done this, or are happy with the risk.

Hope I haven't spoilt the party, it's just that a few folk haven't discovered this until they get to the dealer, and have then found it very difficult to make considered judgements at the 11th hour and the 59th minute!

Good luck, and I hope this helps.

Thank you for your concern, its a very tricky situation and as far as I can find out one way to get the motorhome to the ferry is if the dealer drives it there on his insurance then you can arrange fully comp for when you get off at Dover. If not Ill have to drive carefully all the way. There were an awful lot of brits at the show, we met at least a dozen in in the short time we were there and all seemed keen to take advantage off the lower prices. One couple we met were buying their 4th german motorhome.

Thanks Brian for the tip on insurance as im in Ireland ive a long trip that i would like to be properly insured for and was actually thinking of staying for the week after picking it up. This too is my first camper after looking at them for years i finally took the plunge. It good to hear obout other Roller Team campers as you rarely see them .

[QUOTE]dicky - 2006-08-30 6:17 PM Thanks Brian for the tip on insurance as im in Ireland ive a long trip that i would like to be properly insured for and was actually thinking of staying for the week after picking it up. This too is my first camper after looking at them for years i finally took the plunge. It good to hear obout other Roller Team campers as you rarely see them .[/QUOTE]

Dicky

Are you in the Eire or Ulster?  If Ulster, your insurance should commence at Dover, but do check.  If Eire, I've no idea how it'll work, but suspect your Irish insurance won't commence until you get to Irish soil.  That's quite a trip on 3rd party only, so even more important to check with insurers!

Hope you guys don't think I'm trying to teach Grandpa to suck eggs!

We bought ours in France last year, and the dealer drove us to the chunnel terminal, so that was our solution!  However, it was only around 1.5Km so not toooo much to ask!  You're right about the savings, though!  They're definitely worth having.

Regards to all

• 2 months later...
Hi everbody, new member, first post. This forum is a great help to us novices. I am just about to order a Roller Team Granduca 10 with 3.0engine. I am dealing with Palmowski a dealer in Germany, has anybody had dealings with this company? I went over early November to order the new motorhome but I still have not managed to get them to actually order the thing for me. Is this typical of a German dealer?In the UK a dealer would have been snapping my hand off for me to leave a deposit but the German dealer does not seem concerned. He has told me to expect delivery in May 2007 so I guess he may not be in too much of a rush, what do you think? Regards Tim

Guest JudgeMental
I was getting worried as dealer in Belgium that I ordered a Euramobil from also has been slow in taking deposit. spoke to him yesterday and he is not going to bother - said pay in full when I collect camper april/march.... Had thought about roller team but was concerned with Italian build quality in comparison to German.

[QUOTE]Brian Kirby - 2006-08-30 4:10 PM

You are likely to find that you cannot obtain fully comprehensive insurance for your vans in either Germany or UK.  You may currently be able to get comprehensive cover for the van once it is in UK, probably against the chassis number, but not the German registration number, but do check exactly when/where that cover will commence.  Hitherto, it has not commenced until the van is actually on UK soil.  If you find you can get fully comp in either Germany or UK, you've cracked it!  In that case, please post where from/how, as this has not to date proved possible.

[/QUOTE] Brian, you really are starting to get tiresome with this persistant posting stating that comprehensive cover cannot be obtained. Do you not understand the difference between road risk and additional cove ?. Even when myself and the friend who also purchased a m/home in Germany at the same time, had the insurance documents in front of us, and gave out the details,you still insisted we were not covered. So for the last time,UK insurers may not be able to provide road risk (3rd party) cover on a foreign registered vehicle, but they are quite willing and perfectly entitled to provide cover for any other damage to your vehicle or driver at a cost. Thats what insurance companies do ! I really would like to know what makes you more knowledgable than the insurance company we dealt with ? As for stating that it has not been possible to do it, and then inviting the poster to let the forum know if thet are successfull in obtaining cover and where they got it from, thats exactly what I did, and then had to suffer you and a few others dismissing the fact that we had, as well as the insults when people decided that because I disagreed with you, then I was "Not a Forum person " Why ? What possible pleasure do you derive from trying to prove people wrong all the time. I had an email from some one from this forum,who, after reading your posting about your "chance meeting" with an insurance underwriter, cancelled the deposit they had left on a van in Germany because they were worried about driving it back with no cover. Do you honestly believe that one of the biggest UK motorhome insurers would issue a comprehensive policy if it was invalid ? Or if there was the slightest possibility they would lay themselves open to being sued by refusing to pay out ? So to the original poster, I sincerely hope you have a smooth transaction with your vehicle and that everything goes to plan, But most importantly, IGNORE the opinions you get from here, because that is all they are, and they only serve to complicate matters even more,discuss your needs with a broker and take it from there, it is them that gives you the cover, nobody else. I left all the details of my insurance broker in my thread about insurance for importing a motorhome, so I'm not repeating it all again just for some people to (for want of a better description ) call my friend and myself, liars

Hi, just wanted to add we ordered a Roller Team 600G from Geoff Cox at the NEC. All we have to do now is wait, March sounds such a long time away. In the process of gathering all the info we can, along with "Jenny" our new toy TomTom 710. We too find that not alot have experience of the Roller Team but what we have heard has been good, and looking at what we got for the price we paid we are over the moon. Mandy

Hi Brian- Would just like to say keep up the good sound advise, I always find your comments both clear and wise, its so easy to get carried away when buying such an expensive item as a motorhome, and caution on these matters is vital to prevent any unseen problems. chas

Archived