Ferry to Ireland?

Billggski

Don't know what part of the country you're from Bill.

P & O Cairnryan to Larne return about £300 return depending on times of departure & return, 2 adults + motorhome.

Stena Cairnryan to Belfast virtually the same but a bit nearer to Dublin.

You will need to input your requirements into their booking system.

Dave

Now you know how we feel when we hear you guys in GB talking about cheap crossings to France.

. :'( . There's no competition so the two main carriers have a field day when it comes to prices. Only in the last month has a competitor entered the French Market........offering great prices for first sailings and now more or less same prices as Irish ferries. Granted it will bring you to St. Nazaire which is great if your travelling south to Spain etc.

However we are being screwed for the crossings to Britian as your price reveals. Even at low season we will pay through the nose.

:'(

Bill, we went last year from Holyhead to Dublin and it cost us £347, but with our Tesco exchange vouchers it cost £115 in Tesco travel tokens + £2 cash. This is a lot of money however there is no charge for the dogs so that is a saving - if there had been it would have added another £90 to the price, plus the cost of visiting a vet on the way back, say £120 in total.

The crossing from Stranraer can be cheaper and shorter and is our preferred route if we plan to go to the Northern half of Ireland!

that is a lot of money. we do the trip at least once a year and usually pay around 350. are you a member of either of the clubds-they offer 10% off. the saving on those ferry usually makes joining the clubs worthwhile.

There is a good site on the naas rd on the outskirts of

dublin about 30 mins from the ferry.

enjoy the craic

Bob

I have just paid £175 for a return trip to Ireland, going to the MCC  National Rally ,MCC has arranged a deal with the Ferry Company, we are going to be in Ireland for about six weeks ,returning by a different route to our outward journey, as that is what we wanted, return is on a fast cat it seems, vans up to 10 metres are included in the deal.

I agree with the comments of biffo. We are ripped off on the crossings to England, Wales and Scotland. This is the answer given to an Irish motorhome forum by P&O when asked why the fares were so much more expensive in comparison to the channel crossings to France.

In the past on our continental routes we had Duty Free shops which made a great deal of profit for our company and as such we could discount the cost of tickets on these routes. Since EU restrictions

were introduced we no longer have Duty Free shops on-board, however the customers who use these routes are accustomed to paying very low amounts for the tickets and will simply use the competition if we no longer discounted them. On the Irish Sea routes there is much less competition and our customers are accustomed to paying much higher prices for tickets. While I can appreciate your comments in regard to the price difference for similar duration crossing I hope that you can appreciate that as a business we will apply a price which we feel is sustainable and profitable for the route.

BIFFO - 2014-01-11 9:13 PM

Only in the last month has a competitor entered the French Market........offering great prices for first sailings and now more or less same prices as Irish ferries. Granted it will bring you to St. Nazaire which is great if your travelling south to Spain etc.

Biffo meant to ask who is this new competitor going to St Nazaire. The only companies sailing to France that I know are Irish Ferries, Brittany Ferries and Celtic Link who sail to Roscoff or Cherbourg

gmcclin - 2014-01-15 2:34 PM

BIFFO - 2014-01-11 9:13 PM

Only in the last month has a competitor entered the French Market........offering great prices for first sailings and now more or less same prices as Irish ferries. Granted it will bring you to St. Nazaire which is great if your travelling south to Spain etc.

Biffo meant to ask who is this new competitor going to St Nazaire. The only companies sailing to France that I know are Irish Ferries, Brittany Ferries and Celtic Link who sail to Roscoff or Cherbourg

LD Lines

http://ldlines.co.uk/timetables/saint-nazaire-rosslare

Also to Gijon, Northern Spain

http://ldlines.co.uk/timetables/gijon-rosslare

Mike

If you use Stena from Cairnryan to Belfast or Belfast to Cairnryan you can get the ferry for the same price as a car on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

This is a Stena offer but these guys can book it - http://www.nutttravel.com/news_article_name/motor-home-caravan-special.aspx

Also if you pick a race meeting on whilst you are visiting (search the net) for Motorbikes, stock cars whatever you will get a 10% discount with the same guys.

Hope that helps.

Douzeper - 2014-01-16 7:50 PM

If you use Stena from Cairnryan to Belfast or Belfast to Cairnryan you can get the ferry for the same price as a car on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

This is a Stena offer but these guys can book it - http://www.nutttravel.com/news_article_name/motor-home-caravan-special.aspx

Also if you pick a race meeting on whilst you are visiting (search the net) for Motorbikes, stock cars whatever you will get a 10% discount with the same guys.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info - I just did a quick look-see and it seems to make a difference of around £30 each way!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Realise this is an old thread but we are sailing from Rosslaire on Fri early crossing. We have not booked a cabin.

Any recomendations of where to get some shuteye on board or should we seriously think on a cabin. Crossing 2.45 am and dock 6.45am?

Thanks

Chris

You should be able to find somewhere to doss down for a few hours so a cabin isn't a necessity, however make sure you sprint up to the seating areas as quickly as possible to be able to nab the settees otherwise you'll end up in a chair. Also take blankets with you (and cushions for your nogging) as it can be quite chilly on night crossings. You might managed to get some sleep but I would suggest you plan on stopping somewhere when you get to Ireland for a cuppa to 'wake you up' before driving any distance and then don't plan on going too far so you can have an early night to catch up on your sleep and leave you fresh for the rest of your holiday.

I just priced my van, under 6m is £194 midweek 2 weeks or a month return to belfast from Scotland.

Tried bigger van up tp 10m and it is still £194.

Play with dates, times etc and keep checking until you hit a cheap price.

Basically, June, july, midweek any motorhome size with a play on dates but no restrictions on time in Ireland is £194.

Archived