spain here we come

audgreen

After reading all the comments on a previous thread about the best way to Spain we have taken the easy way as rank beginners. We have booked the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry on 9th February and will then drive across to L'estartit. This will give us a bit of easier driving practice which we will then use on our trip home in July when coming back through France..If anyone has done the Bilbao/L'estartit or Barcelona run we have conflicting info. Our new map shows no tolls but google shows tolls.Any advice appreciated. We have no time constraint. Thanks

audgreen - 2014-01-12 5:15 PM

After reading all the comments on a previous thread about the best way to Spain we have taken the easy way as rank beginners. We have booked the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry on 9th February and will then drive across to L'estartit. This will give us a bit of easier driving practice which we will then use on our trip home in July when coming back through France..If anyone has done the Bilbao/L'estartit or Barcelona run we have conflicting info. Our new map shows no tolls but google shows tolls.Any advice appreciated. We have no time constraint. Thanks

There are toll roads but with a 'N' route alternative of you wish. We have found tolls in Spain to be much cheaper than France and usually worth it. Remember all the trucks take the 'N' roads. Toll roads are marked as 'Autopistas' while there could be a free alternative marked as 'Autovia'. If it is a toll road then you will see signs marked 'peage' so you have no doubts. Every toll point has at least one booth manned and it will state 'manual' above it. Usually a very nice young lady who we have found usually smiling, though being stuck there all day would drive me to drink. Dead easy and no grabbling with French machines. Most service areas have security but do not feel threatened. We have never seen any bother. Also stopping at local cafe/restaurants can be good fun and invariably you will find the local Carabineri having coffee so again no fears for safety. You will find the staff very pleasant and a big difference from France, where they have the UK look of sullenness and 'I do not wish to be here' attitude. Mind you there are places to be aware and Barcelona is one where there are I regret to say far too many instances of robbery. Outside of that it is far safer than the UK.

Enjoy.

By the way take seasickness pills as the Bay of Biscay can be wild at any time of the year. We tried it once in late Spring and never again as we 'died' , or wished to be, for 24 hours.

This map (presumably up-to-date) shows Spanish toll-roads.

http://www.maps.data-spain.com/travel/road/

As the shortest distance by road from Bilbao to L'Estartit will be over 400 miles, it would be wise to decide sooner rather than later (and certainly before reaching Spain) which route to take from Bilbao even if toll-roads are going to be avoided. At Bilbao, merely putting "L'Estartit" in a sat-nav and selecting the "Avoid toll-roads" option could take you places you'd much rather not go (like up into the mountains).

The ViaMichelin route-planner website suggests three alternative routes that involve toll charges and one (fairly mountainous) toll-free route via Pamplona and Huesca.

To some extent, which route you take will depend on how long you want to spend travelling from Bilbao to L'Estartit. Although - even if you used Spanish toll-roads extensively (via Zaragoza and Tarragona) - you'd very likely want to make an overnight stop on the way.

Guest pelmetman
Heard an interesting bit of Spanish roundabout trivia from my brother who lives out here.............apparently the inside lane of roundabouts are for emergency vehicles only :-S................although it appears that no one obeys the rule from my experience ;-)...........

Been playing with Autoroute. :-) Toll free is via Vitoria, Pamplona, Huesca, Lleida, Manresa and Vic. 450 miles, estimated 8 hours driving with no breaks. That, I think, is a somewhat optimistic timing. Quickest (toll) route is Logrono, Zaragoza, Lleida, Barcelona, which puts you on the slightly dodgy AP-7. 453 miles, estimated 7 hours driving, no breaks, also, I think, optimistic. Shortest in miles is to bayonne, then via Pau, Tarbes, D117 to Perpignan, and Figueres. 421 miles, estimated 9 hours driving with no breaks and rather more optimistic!

Honest conclusion: too far for one day, especially for a first drive in Spain! Look for a reliably open campsite around mid-way along the toll free route. There is one at Huesca, San Jorge, http://tinyurl.com/q53tok9 that says it is open all year, and gives a 40% discount from 1/11 - 30/3. Don't think the facilities are heated, but it promises hot water! GPS N42.13703 W0.41920, and close to the route. The section from Pamplona to Huesca will slower, as it runs across the foothills of the Pyrenees, so probably a bit more than 5 hours driving. The next day will also be fairly slow as much of the route is again in the foothills, though further out.

But, kep an eye on the weather forecasts and if snow looks likely just use the toll route and take the break near Zaragoza. Campsite Ciudad de Zaragoza also says it is open all year http://tinyurl.com/o7cvlz3 GPS N41.63696 W0.94257. If its fine, and you arrive early, you'll even have time for a quick stroll into Zaragoza!

As above, it is likely to be surprisingly cold along that route, so make sure you have sufficient gas on board.

audgreen - 2014-01-12 5:15 PM

You could stop at Burgos, that.s open all year. The road down from there is very good, and the road through Madrid is great, goes over some of the city. Why not take your time and stop at a couple of places on route. Enjoy your first trip, you won't be diappointed

We shall be going down to Spain in April, can't wait to get away, but we travel via France and vist friends on the way, so better than aires.

PJay

Guest JudgeMental

as someone else commented L'estartit will be a preety miserable destination compared with Alicante

Spanish tolls are cheap, even fuel same price, so you spend money of Spanish ferry crossing and not on £15-20 cost of getting from border to Med......Hilarious :-D

Guest pelmetman

Currently on the Southern bit of Costa Blanca..........it was cool today with light drizzel *-).........the first wet stuff since we arrived on the 4th ;-).............

I hear its been a bit wetter back home :D........

JudgeMental - 2014-01-16 4:21 PM

as someone else commented L'estartit will be a preety miserable destination compared with Alicante

Spanish tolls are cheap, even fuel same price, so you spend money of Spanish ferry crossing and not on £15-20 cost of getting from border to Med......Hilarious :-D

2014 fees for Spanish toll-roads can be found here

http://www.autopistas.com/tolls/var/lang/en/idm/316

Spanish autopista vehicle 'classification' differs significantly from the Franch autoroute system and I think Audrey's Bessacarr motorhome (despite being considered Class 3 for French autoroute charging due to its 3500kg+ weight) would be fall into the "Ligeros" (light) Class for autopista. If that's so, the fee for travelling all the way fron Bilbao to Zaragoza on toll-roads would be €32.05 (which ain't bad given the distance involved).

In reply to Judgemental. We didn't say we didn't want to pay for the toll roads it was a simple query as to the cost!!!!!! The ferry crossing is because neither of us has driven abroad and didn't want to tackle the long journey as our first experience. PLUS I HAVE TO DO MOST OF THE DRIVING owing to husbands arthritis. So no need for the sarcasm when you don't know the facts.

Guest JudgeMental

Ha ha ha...lighten up for heavens sake! anyway it was an observation not sarcasm....

I use the N121 to Pamplona as its a lovely route and free, and from memory to the cost to Benidorm using motorway (remember not all motorways are toll sections) is about £20. campers are classed the same as cars in Spain, so really pointless avoiding tolls

JudgeMental - 2014-01-17 3:22 PM

campers are classed the same as cars in Spain, so really pointless avoiding tolls

Did not know that!

Is that any camper , ? we are 3.2 mtrs high, due ti the air-con and Sat dome, as I know Judge has a lower one.

PJay

Guest JudgeMental
PJay - 2014-01-17 4:04 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-17 3:22 PM

campers are classed the same as cars in Spain, so really pointless avoiding tolls

Did not know that!

Is that any camper , ? we are 3.2 mtrs high, due ti the air-con and Sat dome, as I know Judge has a lower one.

PJay

not sure if the same 3 metre rules apply as in France..probably worth checking on Dereks earlier link

Guest JudgeMental

here is a translation from Derek's link, says nothing about height, but Spain a far more civilized country then those dastardly french high way robbers....some revolution when citizens are charged commercial toll rates*-)

VEHICLE CATEGORIES

light

• Motorcycles with or without sidecar.

• Passenger cars without trailers or trailer without twin wheel

(dual tire).

• Trucks, vans and minibuses with 2 axles and 4 wheels.

heavy 1

• Trucks and buses 2 axles.

• Trucks and buses 3-axis and 2-axis with 1 axle trailer.

• Cars, trucks, vans and minibuses (all 2-axis, 4

wheels), 1 trailer twin wheel axle (dual tires).

heavy 2

• Trucks and buses with or without trailers, with a total of 4 axles or more.

• Cars, trucks, vans and minibuses (all with 2 axles,

4 wheels), with two or more trailer axles and at least one wheel axle

twin (double tire).

Iain Strachan - 2014-01-17 11:40 PM

Hi we are currently south of madrid, having landed at santander. Had to get towed off the pitch at burgos! So far, have followed sat nav and used toll roads, paid nothing. Have a great trip enjoy.

Not sure I understand your statement "So far, have followed sat nav and used toll roads, paid nothing."

As with French "autoroutes", some Spanish "autopistas" are toll-roads and some are not. Are you saying that you've driven on Spanish toll-roads and not been charged tolls? Or perhaps you've been using toll-free autopistas?

Hi Derek, I am saying that I have been following sat nav directions, traveling on what are motorway standardroads, and have yet to pay a toll.I am sorry that I have no Spanish so do not know the terms to which you refer. The OP now seems to have to have come down to routes, and I thought it useful for her to make the comment. I realise that this is not the best route to her destination!

Cheers

Archived