i-Sat software update available

colin

Received email today informing me that a software update is now available for the i-Sat auto satellite system. If you have one you will need to get it updated to lock on to Astra2, either remove the dish unit and send it off to Miriad or strip out the PCB and send this off. The charge for reprogramming is apparently £35+vat for dish unit or £15+vat for PCB. but I would check with Miriad first to confirm.

BTW for anyone else with an auto satellite system that they haven't used for a couple of months, I would suggest they check to see if it needs reprogramming due to the new satellite in use.

they haven't finished moving all the channels over yet, scheduled to start early February. What channels are being recommended to tune to?

My trac Vision need redoing and I was going to use a couple of frequencies used by Sky on Astra 2F.

peedee

peedee - 2014-01-13 9:07 PM

they haven't finished moving all the channels over yet, scheduled to start early February. What channels are being recommended to tune to?

My trac Vision need redoing and I was going to use a couple of frequencies used by Sky on Astra 2F.

peedee

No idea what frequency they are using to lock on to, I guess (hope) they have been given a frequency that ,is/will be, in long term use, at least that is what I was told they were waiting for before they would reprogram the PCB.

The problem with using frequencies currently on Astra 2F on the "Pan European" beam is that most of them are being used on other satellites also on "Wide" beams which can be seen all over Europe. Some are repeated on BADR 4/5/6 which can be seen through southern Europe and up into France but by far the majority are repeated on Astra 1 at 19 degrees. That means an auto sat finder would just as likely stop on Astra 1 as on Astra 2.

The only frequency I can find at the moment which has the best chance of not being seen on other satellites is 12670 H.

As it is more than likely that frequencies currently in use on the retiring satellites will be reused on Astra 2E you may be best using one of those - Just hope that they use that frequency on the "Pan European" beam rather on the UK spot beam. Again the best bet would be 12207 V.

By the way - Astra 2E is still at 43.5 degrees - If it doesn't start to move soon it won't have a snowballs chance of starting to broadcast in early Feb.

Thanks Frankkia, I hadn't thought that other satellites might be using the same frequencies covering Europe.

I am glad I do not have to pay to set mine up! Just beginning to understand what I am doing but do not understand why the Tracvision dish needs two frequencies to lock on, one vertical and one horizontal.

Looks like more research is needed as to what to tune to. Think I will go back to my manual system for a while. I wonder if you can set the Tracvision manually?

peedee

I might be a bit slow here, but have things changed with the satellites, I don’t watch mine that often and do not seem to get Astra 2 anymore. It’s a Cosmos Dome.

From the comments I have read are things changing and is it worth waiting a bit to get it re-tuned, oh whatever you do to it.

(?)

Yes new satellites are being introduced and there is quite a bit of shuffling going on, some of it effecting frequencies. I don't know how most automatic dishes lock on but it hey are using any of the frequencies which have shut down the dishes will no longer find the satellite and the systems must be set up to lock onto other frequencies.

peedee

peedee - 2014-01-14 2:00 PM

Yes new satellites are being introduced and there is quite a bit of shuffling going on, some of it effecting frequencies. I don't know how most automatic dishes lock on but it hey are using any of the frequencies which have shut down the dishes will no longer find the satellite and the systems must be set up to lock onto other frequencies.

peedee

Thanks that's a relief, i thought it was broken..

:-(

Currently in Torremolinos campsite and we are receiving both BBC & ITV from our 85cm Automatic Oyster System. We lost ITV south of Madrid and could only get BBC on our first night here but I altered the skew and we now get both.

Am I Happy? Not really as I now have to suffer the soaps which I fully expected to have left up north.

I switch system on and I can alter the skew but apart from that system has not been altered since it was fitted in 2006

John

Caroline - 2014-01-14 9:30 AM

I might be a bit slow here, but have things changed with the satellites, I don’t watch mine that often and do not seem to get Astra 2 anymore. It’s a Cosmos Dome.

From the comments I have read are things changing and is it worth waiting a bit to get it re-tuned, oh whatever you do to it.

(?)

This is what happened to us a couple of months back, our i-Sat could not lock on to Astra2 as whatever frequencies it used where no longer in use. In the case of the i-Sat it can be manualy aligned, although we never bothered. The importers have now got new frequency to reprogram the i-Sat, I'm not sure how your Cosmos works but I guess it is similar, so you may need to contact an agent or importer to get it programmed.

Just a quick update.

1) Astra 2E has now set off from the test position to move to 28 degrees ready for the migration of channels over a few weeks starting in early February - Currently at 42.72 degrees and moving West.

2) John - At present the BBC / ITV channels are fairly easy to grab in Southern Spain but when the new satellite goes into operation it is highly unlikely that even an 85 cm Oyster will get them anywhere south of the Pyrenees. Also the Oyster has 4 built in default frequencies and if it can't see 1 of them it will likely see another. You may not need to do anything as it is likely that all of the frequencies currently in use will be reused on the new Astra 2E but it will depend on them being spread between the UK beam and the "Pan European" beam. A 2006 Oyster will have been made before they were able to be updated via satellite so you may, in the end, have to have your unit updated.

February is by no means the end of the process as Astra 2G is due for launch in the spring and will be joining the others in summer. Yet again there will be some swapping around of channels between the satellites and available transponders. After that there should be a longish period of relative stability. The satellites have a design life of around 15 years and most of the problems have been caused by the fleet at 28 degrees coming to the end of their useful lives at the same time. Over the last year or so the ageing satellites have been backed up by other ageing satellites in case of failure. Some satellites never get anywhere near the 15 years and there have been some spectacular failure in the past.

Archived