Not good news for Crime Statistics - - - -

CliveH

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3976140.ece

Police crime figures deemed unreliable by watchdog after fiddling claims

Having seen the old PCT's fiddle the NHS "patients seen" stats on a regular and routine basis and applying bogus stats to justify the "postcode lottery" for treatment - I fear many of us will simply say "Here we go again!" - another monolith organisation now thinks it can fiddle the books with impunity.

:-S

Well done to the UK Statistics Authority - shame our Police Forces do not share the same level of integrity

CliveH - 2014-01-16 12:21 AMhttp://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3976140.ecePolice crime figures deemed unreliable by watchdog after fiddling claimsHaving seen the old PCT's fiddle the NHS "patients seen" stats on a regular and routine basis and applying bogus stats to justify the "postcode lottery" for treatment - I fear many of us will simply say "Here we go again!" - another monolith organisation now thinks it can fiddle the books with impunity. :-S Well done to the UK Statistics Authority - shame our Police Forces do not share the same level of integrity

Like all of these 'Public' bodies the senior management are hell bent on being too bloody PC.....covering their arses..... and 'lying to us' in an attempt to keep their snouts in the trough of the public purse.  If they were in a 'real world' job and job retention was based on performance and honesty the amount of 'manipulation and outright fiddling of facts and figures' they seem to either condone or do themselves they would rightly be out on their ear. 

Bloody leeches the lot of them..............and integrity should be deleted from the 'Public service dictionary' because it's apparently never used these days.

As a slight aside to the foregoing....how long before some 'git' gets up to pontificate about this 'fiddling' and that 'lessons will be learned' I wonder?

What we need is a complete ban on all public bodies publishing statistics for at least 12 months.

Surely no-one believes them any more anyway, and those people could be re-deployed into doing something useful.

:-(

( ... like filling in potholes ? )

I felt the role of Independent Police Commissioners should/would enable more clarity in the area of how we are "policed"

I would suggest some serious questions need to be asked of the various Forces by their Police commissioners as to exactly what the **** is going on.

>:-(

Guest Peter James

I stopped taking the Crime Statistics seriously years ago, when I discovered there was a huge increase in issuing cautions.

When someone is issued with a Police Caution for dropping a cigarette butt that counts as a solved Crime!!!

We as taxpayers are paying battalions of civil servants to compile statistics that nobody can believe!!!

George Collings - 2014-01-16 9:40 PM

Is it too comfortable inside.

Interesting question. If you make prisons too hard, bullying and intimidation rule the day and people tend to come out worse than they went in. Wheras if you make prisons good enough to reform people they are seen as not sufficient punishment. So the political climate is constantly swinging back and forth between punishment and rehabilitation, getting the worst of both worlds.

Its got a lot to do with what opportunities there are for prisoners when they get out, and here we have the biggest problem. There are not enough real jobs, or homes, for people who have obeyed the law. So how can we offer them to ex prisoners?

The majority of prisoners are young single males who can get almost nothing from the benefit system - which is designed to support women and children, leaving single males with not enough to live on.

By far the biggest group of prisoners - one in ten - are ex soldiers who the army has trained to fight, then put them back into the community with only that skill to earn a living.

So what are they going to do?

see link: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/one-in-10-prisoners-is-a-former-soldier-new-research-reveals-7944479.html

Guest Peter James

PS: Those who cannot see beyond harsher punishments might reflect on the fact that in the days when they used to hang pickpockets, there were pickpockets in the crowd picking the pockets of those watching the hangings!!!

Presumably they didn't expect to get caught. (The condemned man was probably innocent, since in those days they could be fitted up to claim a reward. One Judge actually said it didn't really matter if the prisoner was guilty or not as he would still be seen as a deterrent to others)

The detection rate is always the biggest deterrent, but it takes brains to improve that. Anybody can just increase the sentences for the tiny minority who get caught.

Guest pelmetman

To improve crime statistics we need to build more prisons..........which would help the economy ;-)............employ more prison officers ex army are ideal..........which would also help the economy ;-)................

Oh and make sure the criminals serve the whole of their sentence and double it for every further imprisonable offence.................now that would really help the statistics and the economy >:-)..........

Syd - 2014-01-17 1:12 PM

If I am correct it is a criminal offence to knowingly publish false statements in official government information.

If that is correct WHO IS GOING TO JAIL FOR THIS

It would be very difficult to prove that ANY statistics are " false "

They all depend on what is included and what is ommitted - and that depends on what you want the answer to be.

It is one of the reasons that I tend to ignore all the statistics cut and pasted onto this forum.

;-)

CliveH - 2014-01-16 8:08 AM

I felt the role of Independent Police Commissioners should/would enable more clarity in the area of how we are "policed"

I would suggest some serious questions need to be asked of the various Forces by their Police commissioners as to exactly what the **** is going on.

>:-(

But what does the IPC want come election time, a set of figures showing things have been worse during their time in office or figures showing all is rosy?

Guest Peter James
malc d - 2014-01-17 2:20 PM

It would be very difficult to prove that ANY statistics are " false "

They all depend on what is included and what is ommitted - and that depends on what you want the answer to be.

;-)

Precisely.

As Sir Humphrey Appleby said, you phrase the question to get the answer you want ;-)

Leaving a cigarette butt on the pavement is technically a crime, issuing a caution is solving it.

(Rather than taking it to court and being ridiculed for wasting everybody's time)

Archived