All The Aires France

BKen1

Mike B. - 2014-01-16 1:32 PM

I've got a copy of that edition if you're interested- £99.99 special price for this forum members (lol)

Mike

Oh darn it - I wish I had not given my old 2nd and 3rd editions to a Dutch and a German couple we met in Germany two years ago!

I hope they appreciate the appreciating asset they now have!

Maybe they are trying to cover eBay's rip off inflated charges.

I listed five things on eBay as there were no insertion fee, sold four of them and got £58 plus the postage.........................eBay charges were £34, back to car boot next time.

mildi - 2014-01-16 4:26 PM

I listed five things on eBay as there were no insertion fee, sold four of them and got £58 plus the postage.........................eBay charges were £34, back to car boot next time.

Since when did 10% of 58 equal 34?

The e-bay seller of the 'Aires' books is "World of Books", and they are also advertised (slightly more cheaply) on that company's website

http://www.worldofbooks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=9780955280818

Earlier today I used the World of Books website's contact-form to inquire if their asking-prices were in error, pointing out that a secondhand 2007 outdated travel guide can be worth at most £3

I'm doubtful that I'll receive a reply...

I have a second edition France and a first edition Spain & Portugal, was about to give them to a couple of Kiwi's who are currently over here. Should I put them on e bay? sell to the highest bidder?

Wonder if Mel & Chris have seen these??

PJay

lennyhb - 2014-01-16 4:37 PM

The one thing that didn't sell had a reserve price and this cost me £25 for some reason, the other problem is the postage, eBay's print your postage thing is so far out with the actual cost. One item I sold for £16 eBay said postage was £3 royal mail first class, I put postage at £5 but the cheapest post was £8 RM second class and then to top it all eBay now take 10% of whatever you charge for postage.

you learn by your mistakes

*-)

A while since I was a serious ebayer (buying, repairing, selling electric golf trollies after I retired) and the rise in the ebay 'take' was the key driver for me packing it in. However, I don't remember them taking any portion of the postage figure. I used to use Parcel Force 48hr service which allowed upto 25kg for £10 collected from home.

I've sort of had a hankering to do a bit again but with fees at the current level have decided against.

A single item on a classified ad is OK but auctioning small items can eat any potential profit.

There is no charge for a reserve price sounds like somthing went wrong with there system you should have queried it. As for post why didn't you work out your postage costs before listing & you didn't need to use Ebays postage label.

Agree Chris the change to ebay fees now charging on postage is a pain to some degree I can see why they did you only had to look at the number of items listed at 99p with £10 P&P people doing it to avoid charges.

Biggest problem for me is to get a listing as a premium seller, which also gives a 15% discount of the 8% fee I pay I have to offer free postage, 1 working day despatch & a fast delivery option. The free P&P can be a pain as customers do not automatically get a postage discount when ordering multiple items, the items that are often ordered in quantity I suffer the extra ebay cost on the balance of more business. The 1 day despatch not too bad as I normally do that anyway and if I do get stuck as I use Royal Mail's PPI postage they is no posting date on my packets. The express delivery I don't want to do as it's more hassle, there is a nice loophole just put in a silly price for express delivery so no one ever wants it, most item get there next day posted second class anyway.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-16 6:14 PM

The e-bay seller of the 'Aires' books is "World of Books", and they are also advertised (slightly more cheaply) on that company's website

http://www.worldofbooks.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=9780955280818

Earlier today I used the World of Books website's contact-form to inquire if their asking-prices were in error, pointing out that a secondhand 2007 outdated travel guide can be worth at most £3

I'm doubtful that I'll receive a reply...

In fact, I have now had a reply from World of Books. This reads as follows:

"Thanks for your email.

We have an automatic pricing system which adjusts the prices of our books based on several variables, including things like market demand and availability. The postage prices for each country are also fixed by the marketplace themselves, so we’re unable to alter these in any way.

Our listing prices are updated many times each day – sometimes they increase, sometimes they decrease. Please check the marketplace listings to keep up to date with our prices."

(I notice that the £100+ asking-price hasn't dropped!)

mildi - 2014-01-17 9:42 AM

lennyhb - 2014-01-16 4:37 PM

The one thing that didn't sell had a reserve price and this cost me £25 for some reason, the other problem is the postage, eBay's print your postage thing is so far out with the actual cost. One item I sold for £16 eBay said postage was £3 royal mail first class, I put postage at £5 but the cheapest post was £8 RM second class and then to top it all eBay now take 10% of whatever you charge for postage.

you learn by your mistakes *-)

I recently sold a couple of items on eBay when it was free listing weekend and was shocked when I got a bill from them as I niavely thought it would be free. I simply got in touch with their Customer Service Live Chat and played ignorant, and I got all my charged refunded except for 1p and that they say is too little to process. I don't sell very much, usually just buy so if you are the same kind of user, give it a go. After all, if you don't ask you wont get :-D

Archived