Sat Nav smartphone apps

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Happy new year y'all!......

got a 6inch phablet phone for an xmas prezzie (Acer Liquid S2) so thinking of getting a sat nav app for it. have done some homework, and best seems to be TT but there is not a model out yet that supports a HD screen, so will have to wait a while anyway........ forget about Garmin as their offering does not support 3rd party POI *-) (garmin really getting worse and worse!)

there are some free apps, but doubt they will have proper planning and POI facilities. Co Pilot looks pretty decent..but will wait for one that supports a bigger HD screen first

My question is: has any one got one or know anything about them please

Hi

I’ve downloaded the free version of Co-Pilot to my I-Phone to try it out and I must say I was quite impressed, seemed to do what it was asked for. I want to use it on my I Pad as well with the Blue tooth gadget I got for Christmas.

Not sure if there is a height and width thing on it.

It was recommended to me and I think for about £30 for the app quite a good buy, you can also buy country by country add-ons.

I just need to get a longer extension lead for the power supply as using Sat Nav on your phone does drain it.

I have not investigated POI’s and would be pleased to hear what others have to say about adding them.

Hope this helps you a bit... ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Thanks Caroline, either TT or Co Pilot do a truck version...not sure which, but if you have a large CB may well be better for you, (I dont think I need the truck version with a panel van)

Co pilot truck a lot more expensive then the car version (normal £25 - truck £130) live traffic is extra

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/copilot-truck-hd-europe/id399782251?mt=8

Hi Eddy

Where are you? They seem to be missing you over on Chatterbox :-D

I have installed the Mapfactor Navigator App on my Smart mobile and tablet and it works well. You can download just the maps you want or all of them and you have the choice of using the free maps or TTs maps.

I have the free maps on and they work a treat.

POIs can be loaded from third parties and it has a pretty comprehensive set of POIs built in which include a fair number of camping related one's - give it a try - if you don't like it it is easy enough to un-install.

I was going to go down that route then realized that I'd need a data connection for traffic update as

the tablets can't use the free eon receivers which works really well in France.

I've still installed a couple of free apps to play with on the road.

JudgeMental - 2014-01-16 4:53 PM

Thanks Caroline, either TT or Co Pilot do a truck version...not sure which, but if you have a large CB may well be better for you, (I dont think I need the truck version with a panel van)

Co pilot truck a lot more expensive then the car version (normal £25 - truck £130) live traffic is extra

Thanks will look in to that, still cheaper than a new sat nav.

Caroline

Guest JudgeMental
Caroline - 2014-01-17 8:34 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-16 4:53 PM

Thanks will look in to that, still cheaper than a new sat nav.

Caroline

I agree....and may as well exploit the capabilities of these latest phones, mine certainly has a better screen then most stand alone sat navs, and loads of memory as well. The TT look the best I think but will wait for a HD version.....it may well be good enough for you as it has a motorhome setting i is around £60. the copilot pro is £40

Hi Bernie! :-D I don't do chatterpox, just because we share an interest in travel/motorhoming, it does not mean I want to rub shoulders with the morally bankrupt :D

Candapack, if I change it will be either a La Strada Avanti C or a Possl, both 636 vans

Guest JudgeMental

this is my new phone and yes it is a bit unwieldy just as a phone but can do so much with it. apparently according to this run down it runs a pretty stock android 4.2. it also has A-GPS support and GLONASS ( GLONASS is the Russian satellite-based navigation system that works alongside the US GPS system, potentially doubling the number of sat fixes and offering better accuracy) so silly not to use the potential, and the screen is brilliant, can happily watch a movie on it.....just have to wait for the apps to catch up....

http://www.androidcentral.com/hands-6-inch-acer-liquid-s2

duetto owner - 2014-01-23 7:03 PM

we are quiet happy with the already installed google navigator. always upto date, only drawback cannot load 3rd party POI's miss the speed camera warnings.

The problem with Google Navigation is it uses data, ok with correct plan in UK but could end up expensive if roaming.

I use Nokia maps which can be downloaded at home.

Guest JudgeMental
Yes you need maps installed via download on the actual phone....some are 3gb so need the spare memory or a memory card slot.... No problem with my new phone as that has 12 gb internal and 64 gb memory card...

Guest JudgeMental

So to round up, you need a sat nav app that actually installs the maps on the phone and not one that uses data, as this will be unusable outside if the UK and could be expensive at home as well, dependent on plan.

Also it seems that when a phone is used as a sat nav, it's power hungry and even if plugged in to a 12v supply, it will loose power faster then van can charge it........not sure how big an issue this is, probably dependent on models.

If app has traffic data, not sure you can use abroad as most of us turn of data roaming when travelling or expect horrendous costs.....but not a significant issue I think.

For me it's just a case of waiting for a HD version of the leading apps, so far the TT ahead of the rest as it can load your own aire/camping etc...POI

Why spend 100's on a stand alone sat nav when your phone/phablet can offer nigh on the same facilities with a better screen.....

I've been trying out Navigator on my Galaxy S4 and using it in bicycle mode.It knocks spots off of TT and Google Maps as it generally avoids dual carriageways and generates safe bike friendly routes.

By the way Judge, you are to blame for me chucking my Giant and buying a Kalkhoff so my wife insists I go out and use it , it is a far better bike.

Guest JudgeMental
Ha ha ha...But I bet you are enjoying your e cycling and doing more of it...We cycle everywhere thanks to the joys of good class e bikes.

Guest JudgeMental
while moi (french for me:-D) waiting for a HD version of the payed apps to come out. Can anyone recommend one of the free apps that actually can be used in Europe as I have to go to gerrmany in a few week to pick up new van and would like to trial a sat app to see what they are like.....ones that uses data for mapping no good

Hi Eddie.

See my post above re MapFactor Navigator - download it from play store and add the maps you want (You can add the free maps or Tom Tom). It is a great piece of software and you will probably not bother with the paid ones after you try it.

I have it on both a smart 'phone and a 10" tablet and the mapping is very clear. You can also load 3rd party POIs to it but it already has tons of 'em including a lot of camp sites and Motorhome parking places (particularly in Germany.

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2014-01-30 5:45 PM

Hi Eddie.

See my post above re MapFactor Navigator - download it from play store and add the maps you want (You can add the free maps or Tom Tom). It is a great piece of software and you will probably not bother with the paid ones after you try it.

I have it on both a smart 'phone and a 10" tablet and the mapping is very clear. You can also load 3rd party POIs to it but it already has tons of 'em including a lot of camp sites and Motorhome parking places (particularly in Germany.

did read back through the thread and have downloaded mapfactor...how long does it take? :-S i am attempting to download france/UK/Belgium/germany..I think it was about 1.8 gb? but cant see it on phablet yet *-)

the way i read it you cant use google search for an address unless data on. but if i download address before going to germany it will work without data on OK??

Not sure I understand the question.

1st you download MapFactor Navigator then from the home screen of Navigator (via "Map Manager" then "Download Maps") you download any maps you want.

The download of mapping, obviously, takes longer depending on how slow your broadband is (mine comes via Wells Fargo). I have found it better to download maps piecemeal - most of the maps are up to 0.2 Gb so I download say about half a Gig at a time. It all depends on how much memory your tablet has to cope with the download and updating of the App. You can see the data being downloaded from the download screen.

It works differently to the Google navigation software which holds only small amounts of mapping at a time and you can't select an address on that if you don't have the appropriate map which means a lot of hopping on to the internet to get the data from Google. With "Navigator" you can download the whole of Europe on to your tablet (as long as you have enough memory) and select an address from anywhere in that area - just like a normal sat nav.

Guest JudgeMental

OK thanks Bernie probably be downloaded in a few days :-D

Loads of memory so no issue there 12 internal 64 on card

What I meant was I thought you can't use google search in Europe ti ID an address unless you are using data. I just fund google a real good address finder........

Guest JudgeMental

MEMORY Card slot microSD, up to 128 GB

Internal 16 GB, 2 GB RAM

so I think i'm ok..but still nothing has happend can see logo but dont work. maybe uninstall and try just one country at a time (as you said Bernie)

Hi Eddie.

Check to see if any maps have downloaded either in full or part of the file - If they are part files (smaller than the expected download) then delete them before making a further attempt to download new files.

To do this go to External SD card (If that is where you have set your phablet to load apps) then "Navigator" then "Data" - The maps are those with "MCA" suffix. Leaving them there will only confuse your machine when it comes to reload the correct files.

Archived