Fitting solar panels.

lynandie

Hi every one.

I am thinking about fitting solar panels to our Burstner, but which type is best??

I have looked into different type's and the stick on flexible solar panels seem good, although expensive..

Is there many mobile fitters of solar panels, I live in Somerset.

Any advice would most helpful.

Andy.

Hi its all down to how much charge you want your solar panel to give out or how much you intend to use your Habitation Battery how many batteries you need to charge, I have two 110 Ah batteries which are kept charged by my one 120watt Solar Panel Via a Solar Panel controller with a duel outlet/charge ,plus when they are full charged It then charges the Engine battery, I have purchased and fitted Two from this Company whom I bought a full Kit from complete with a Bosch Solar Panel, the Choice is endless, all dependant on your needs There are plenty of media info on YouTube etc, its worth gathering all the information you can to give you an Informed choice.  Have a look at this Web site.   http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Photonic-Universe?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I've been considering a Semi flexible panel for the new van, I fitted a cheap panel from ebay with a good regulator on the current van and it has out performed expectations.

After some research on the semi flexible:

On the Plus side.

1) Lighter 100W only 2.8kg against around 8-10Kg for standard panel.

2) Easy to fit

3) Less obtrusive on the van roof.

4) Not as expensive at as at first sight as does not require fitting brackets.

On the down side.

1) More expensive.

2) Output reduces in hot weather & bright sunlight due to heat increase as there is no air gap under them.

3) Output can reduce at about 5 years old varying reports claim it is by 20 - 50%.

4) More prone to failure due to running at higher temperatures.

I think I am going to go for the Semi Flexible. Not having to buy brackets makes them only about £20 dearer. Output falling off when hot not that much of a problem as it's lightly to be high summer whey you have more sunshine & power requirements are lower. If the output does fall off when they get older time to change the van or add another panel.

Current prices on eBay for 100W panel:

Standard panel £109 + brackets at £20-£30

Semi-flexible £149

Edit:

Your van probably has an Elektroblock if so worth buying the Schaudt LR1218 Solar Regulator, it plugs straight into the Elektroblock and will charge habitation & engine battery also has a trick up it's sleeve if the input voltage falls below 13v it boosts the output voltage so you still get a charge in low light conditions where other regulators have long given up.

Note:

With some models of Elektroblock if you do not use the Schaudt unit they register a fault condition when on mains and shuts down.

Another downside of the semi flexible panels is delamination.

They are made of plastic rather than glass and as the plastic ages it goes brittle and there have been many stories of the panels delaminating as well as reducing output - some within a couple of years. This problem can be exacerbated on a roof that is regularly under water. Many 'vans hold water in large areas if not adequately drained - I have seen more than enough of them depositing large sheets of water when they start to move after standing in the rain.

I would go further in that sticking a black sheet of solar panel on to a bonded roof is not IMHO a good idea. As the panel heats in the sun that heat is conducted to your roof which has a glue bonding between the outer skin (GRP or Aluminium) and the foam inner. Apply too much heat to that and the glue will become brittle and may result in the delamination of the roof. After having one 'van which delaminated along the dark green decal stripe on the side when left in the sun I am very wary of applying any unnecessary heat to a GRP panel.

I have fitted my solar panels to each of the last 6 'vans. I specify that the 'van is fitted with the roof rack and make up clamps to fit the panels to the rack . That way I can move the panels from one 'van to the next. The only thing left behind is the waterproof junction box that I fit to the roof for the wiring.

We have a 40watt panel for main unit battery,this is only used for water pump lights etc and has never let us down for about a week off hook up,we also have 2 110amp battterys 160watt panel feeding these,used for tv,laptop,satbox and speakers,all our panels our free standing because the roof on the fifth wheeler is rubber so i think i would have to bolt or screw panels on,not something i really fancy doing

Frankkia - 2014-01-18 1:21 PM

Another downside of the semi flexible panels is delamination.

They are made of plastic rather than glass and as the plastic ages it goes brittle and there have been many stories of the panels delaminating as well as reducing output - some within a couple of years. This problem can be exacerbated on a roof that is regularly under water. Many 'vans hold water in large areas if not adequately drained - I have seen more than enough of them depositing large sheets of water when they start to move after standing in the rain.

I would go further in that sticking a black sheet of solar panel on to a bonded roof is not IMHO a good idea. As the panel heats in the sun that heat is conducted to your roof which has a glue bonding between the outer skin (GRP or Aluminium) and the foam inner. Apply too much heat to that and the glue will become brittle and may result in the delamination of the roof. After having one 'van which delaminated along the dark green decal stripe on the side when left in the sun I am very wary of applying any unnecessary heat to a GRP panel.

I have fitted my solar panels to each of the last 6 'vans. I specify that the 'van is fitted with the roof rack and make up clamps to fit the panels to the rack . That way I can move the panels from one 'van to the next. The only thing left behind is the waterproof junction box that I fit to the roof for the wiring.

I think you have just put me off fitting a semi-flexible to the new van. Cons appear to outweigh the pros.

Archived