Top 10 vans of 2014 from Promobil readers survey

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

http://www.promobil.de/aktuell/promobil-leserwahl-2014-die-besten-campingbusse-mit-bad-6529163.html

The number one slot goes to a Concorde compact which are Possl built vans. second Hymer Car, third Possl roadcruiser (hightop electric bed) and fourth place to Knoblauch 600 LB for none sliding door fans :-D

its an interesting top ten....

The Fiat X250 also got best camper van of the year 2014. (both the top 10 and top van chosen by readers)

http://www.promobil.de/aktuell/promobil-leserwahl-2014-die-besten-wohnmobile-und-campingbusse-2014-6527159.html

641820033_Campingbus-fotoshowImage-aae16435-210572-Copy.jpg.8f68f987548bffda9fbf6f455e4fddf3.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2014-01-17 12:30 PM

"Knoblauch 600 LB"

I bet that is a bit of a stinker! :-D

Very odd name for a van (garlic) I cant find the brand Knoblauch anywhere...but do remember seeing a Garlic branded van somewere...where is Derek when you need him! :-D

a bit odd that an unknown van gets so high up the ranking ahead of established makes *-)

edit: Hi Mel happy new year!:-D Decided to give it a break for a while as it was getting a bit unpleasant.....lets see what happens :D

Guest JudgeMental

Cheers Derek...still haven't heard of them :-D although I have seen them at Dusseldorf show. it was the auto translation that threw a spanner in the works I guess. A stainless steel shower tray! must be cold...God far to Germanic!

Lenny the Cathargo won the bestest ever integrated..far nicer then the hymer! (lol)

The 600 LB has a plastic shower-tray, but it is unusual for being a 2-person-only design with just the cab seats having safety belts. There's an advert for a 2013 vehicle here

http://www.e-mobile.lv/en/details/182052995

According to pro-mobil magazine Michael Knobloch (the company's founder) began building motorhomes in 1998 and has concentrated on innovative design (like modifying a panel-van's sliding door to include a hinged door).

http://wohnmobile-mk.de/Reisemobilbau/index.php/wohnmobil-tur-system/

It might be interesting to know how many Knoblochs are made annually.

Guest JudgeMental
"stainless steel shower tray Image 9 of 13" on your link...cant copy picture but it looks like an instrument of torture...or something from an English boarding school

JudgeMental - 2014-01-17 6:45 PM

"stainless steel shower tray Image 9 of 13" on your link...cant copy picture but it looks like an instrument of torture...or something from an English boarding school

I'm not claiming that Knobloch have not fitted stainless-steel shower-trays in the past (2010 photo attached), but the current 600-LB model's shower tray is made of GRP. This will be apparent from Photo 5 of 15 of this mobile.de advert.

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=182052995

edelstahlduschwanne.jpg.96c73095314ae306adea67ceab1ecc66.jpg

Looking at the photo of 600LB in top 10 and the review there appears to be something wrong, that particular version of the door won't work with that layout, it will open where the galley unit is, or is there something I'm misunderstanding

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2014-01-18 9:14 AM

Looking at the photo of 600LB in top 10 and the review there appears to be something wrong, that particular version of the door won't work with that layout, it will open where the galley unit is, or is there something I'm misunderstanding

I have been in these at Dusseldorf show back in 2010, all I know is that losing the sliding door makes them very claustrophobic and van seem very small. I think they use migits in their advertising :-D

Lenny, you need to set yourself free from this one dimensional Hymer bias....Honestly Its not good for you! :D

JudgeMental - 2014-01-18 10:22 AM

I have been in these at Dusseldorf show back in 2010, all I know is that losing the sliding door makes them very claustrophobic and van seem very small. I think they use migits in their advertising :-D

Lenny, you need to set yourself free from this one dimensional Hymer bias....Honestly Its not good for you! :D

This is the door I would expect them to use, I keep thinking would like one on our van, door slides as normal and front part of door opens, my concern, not having seen one for real, is that the hinged door might be a bit small, I know I wasn't impressed with IH version which is fixed and narrow door.

thumbs_tuermodul-2-schiebeturr.jpg.4ebf4503c49783214c2d02d9103e761e.jpg

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2014-01-18 11:04 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-18 10:22 AM

This is the door I would expect them to use, I keep thinking would like one on our van, door slides as normal and front part of door opens, my concern, not having seen one for real, is that the hinged door might be a bit small, I know I wasn't impressed with IH version which is fixed and narrow door.

I was a lot heavier/bigger back then and I dont remember any issues re access, just the psychological cramped effect on the interior. From memory *-) it was under 3K for door..a lot cheaper then IH!

but in picture of white van i posted you can see the women standing on step is vertically challenged...she hardly reaches the window :D

JudgeMental - 2014-01-18 11:54 AM

but in picture of white van i posted you can see the women standing on step is vertically challenged...she hardly reaches the window :D

I'll have to set my good lady on you, she comes in at a whopping 4'10". (lol)

P.S. Hymer were also 1st in the Integrated over 70k Class. :D

I'm sure you are right that the 'door-in-door' arrangement shown in the promobil photo of a Knobloch 600 LB would conflict with the interior layout shown for a 600 LB with a simple sliding door. (As you say, the kitchen unit would obstruct the hinged door.)

However, when Camp24Magazin commented on this model in April 2013, it was said that the vehicle was available with a door-in-door system and (as I understand the German text) an individualised layout.

There are photos on the Knobloch website showing the door-in-door feature with the hinged door next to the cab door, and the view of the interior shows a seating layout quite different from the standard 600 LB's.

It's probable that the photo used by pro-mobil magazine will have been provided by Knobloch. As the door-in-door feature won't be cheap, it's unlikely to be part of the 600 LB's standard specification.

pelmetman - 2014-01-17 7:05 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-17 1:53 PM

The reason you can't find a "Knoblauch" is because the name is actually "Knobloch".

http://wohnmobile-mk.de/Reisemobilbau/

http://cms.camp24magazin.com/?p=40889

Telling people you have a Knobloch..............should be good for a giggle :D.......

Sounds like a male chastity belt (lol)..........

Can I just reassure the sensitive that in German you pronounce the K!

Derek Uzzell - 2014-01-18 2:57 PM

I'm sure you are right that the 'door-in-door' arrangement shown in the promobil photo of a Knobloch 600 LB would conflict with the interior layout shown for a 600 LB with a simple sliding door. (As you say, the kitchen unit would obstruct the hinged door.)

However, when Camp24Magazin commented on this model in April 2013, it was said that the vehicle was available with a door-in-door system and (as I understand the German text) an individualised layout.

There are photos on the Knobloch website showing the door-in-door feature with the hinged door next to the cab door, and the view of the interior shows a seating layout quite different from the standard 600 LB's.

It's probable that the photo used by pro-mobil magazine will have been provided by Knobloch. As the door-in-door feature won't be cheap, it's unlikely to be part of the 600 LB's standard specification.

A follow-up to the above...

This is a Swedish piece about the 2012 Dusseldorf Show.

http://www.husvagnochcamping.se/artiklar/nyheter/20120828/mycket-folk-och-manga-fordon

It includes a photo (attached) of the right side of a Knobloch motorhome that was exhibited there and the "LB" part of the decal can just be seen. The vehicle has the door-in-door feature and the hinged door is towards the rear of the sliding door. It will be apparent from the photo that the kitchen-unit does not obstruct the door-opening and it's mentioned in the text that the kitchen-unit is at the very front, behind the passenger seat (ie. the right-hand cab-seat).

af9fec989dfc81fd873128902ef301bb4c6886e9.jpeg.0bac5176cc2a8a6482b2ded97e050c4d.jpeg

colin - 2014-01-18 7:12 PM

Ah, it would seem they have changed layout for 2013.

It's quite likely that the vehicle exhibited at Dusseldorf in 2012 (and shown in the pro-mobil photo) was there to show off Knobloch's unique door-in-door feature and there may have been no real intention to bring it to the production stage with that format as standard.

The simplified layout-drawing gives the impression that the kitchen-unit is particularly tiny, but the 7/15 and 11/15 photos in this advert

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/showDetails.html?id=182052995

show that it's about average for this type of motorhome, with the usual lift-up extension-flap. In fact, there's probably not a lot to choose in terms of kitchen work-surface area between a Knobloch 600 LB and the coachbuilt Rapido 640 that won MMM/Which Motorhome's 2014 Motorhome of the Year award.

The layout-drawing also suggests that the wardrobe is huge, but the advert photos indicate otherwise. It's only 'half height' and no deeper than it needs to be. An unusual feature is that it's accessible via a door in the shower-room.

The 600 LB targets couples who don't plan to carry additional passengers - it's a pure 2-person/2-berth design. There's a good size longitudinal bed, a good size conventional shower-room (no funny sliding/swinging toilets) and lots of high-level storage.

I don't know whether it would be popular in the UK - where the ability to roast a 15kg turkey seems to be a prerequisite for even the smallest of motorhomes - but it's not being marketed here. The pro-mobil report suggests that German owners like it.

Archived