side skirts

granddad

this is the trouble from none seal skirts

i have had this done this

s

As you are aware we have had to carry out very much more work than was anticipated .

The damp and rot of the floor that had been originally found by all of us extended further into the floor structure and so more rotted material had to be removed.

Under the sink unit we found that the floor ply and timber was damaged rearwards to and including the side door step , up the side wall within the sink unit and then across the floor past the main chassis members.

At the offside front the rot of the inside and outside floor ply extended inboard and the water tank and the metal frame for the seat restraints had to be removed to ensure that all of the rotten timber and ply was removed . The side wall was also affected.

Within the rear nearside seat base we found that a previous repair had been made but not very well and so we had to remove that material and make good and then the rotten timber and floor ply forward to the wheel arch.

The side wall in this area was also affected and replaced.

The floor at the rear offside was replaced .

We have removed and sealed both sets of side skirts . The prime reason for the water ingress and subsequent rot along and into the floor is that the side skirts were not SEALED and so when water ran behind the skirts it then penetrated the edge of the floor and could not escape or dry out because of the vinyl finish that had been applied to the floor from new.

We are finding more examples of water ingress in these areas on other customers vehicles.

You can understand that we have therefore taken a lot more time to replace not just the under layer of the rotten floor but also the inner floor ply, wall ply and surrounding timber framework.

Once started there was no option but to do the work fully and correctly .

The final invoice will now be £ ------.40 including vat and I will prepare the invoice for you .

It is essential that we carry out a check of our work within 3 months of your collection .

This can be done whilst you wait by prior arrangement.

We would then need to inspect the motorhome within a further 9 months to comply with our 12 month warranty.

It is strongly recommended that the motorhome is fully checked every 12 months thereafter to ensure that any water ingress to any part of the motorhome body structure is resolved immediately .

Naturally if at any time you are concerned about water ingress then we would be pleased to carry out further additional checks and be able to say that there is no problem rather than you leave it and find a problem later.

We will be completing the work on Monday morning and we will then carry out final checks and cleaning so that you can collect the motorhome on Wednesday 22 January.

I will ensure that our leading technician – Gary- will be available to explain in detail all of the work that has been completed and the reasons for this work on collection.

Please confirm that you will be able to collect next Wednesday and approximately what time you will be with us.

Thanks.. I only just posted after finding rot from a side skirt leak..I have about a foot square at the right hand side rear floor water stained and am wondering how to replace it if necessary as that is right underneath the toilet and shower. i am definitely going to pull off all the skirts and look for other ingress areas now ..

Guest JudgeMental
Rayjsj - 2014-01-19 9:53 AM

am I missing something here ?? a previous post perhaps ?

An idea of what van is being discussed, a bit of history perhaps ? Help us out here. ;-) Ray

About as useful a thread as a bull with tits.......Utterly confusing posts and makes no sense without some detail, and why cost of work removed? What vans etc.....a nonsense *-)

granddad - 2014-01-18 11:40 PM

this is the trouble from none seal skirts

i have had this done this

s

As you are aware we have had to carry out very much more work than was anticipated .

The damp and rot of the floor that had been originally found by all of us extended further into the floor structure and so more rotted material had to be removed.

Under the sink unit we found that the floor ply and timber was damaged rearwards to and including the side door step , up the side wall within the sink unit and then across the floor past the main chassis members.

At the offside front the rot of the inside and outside floor ply extended inboard and the water tank and the metal frame for the seat restraints had to be removed to ensure that all of the rotten timber and ply was removed . The side wall was also affected.

Within the rear nearside seat base we found that a previous repair had been made but not very well and so we had to remove that material and make good and then the rotten timber and floor ply forward to the wheel arch.

The side wall in this area was also affected and replaced.

The floor at the rear offside was replaced .

We have removed and sealed both sets of side skirts . The prime reason for the water ingress and subsequent rot along and into the floor is that the side skirts were not SEALED and so when water ran behind the skirts it then penetrated the edge of the floor and could not escape or dry out because of the vinyl finish that had been applied to the floor from new.

We are finding more examples of water ingress in these areas on other customers vehicles.

You can understand that we have therefore taken a lot more time to replace not just the under layer of the rotten floor but also the inner floor ply, wall ply and surrounding timber framework.

Once started there was no option but to do the work fully and correctly .

The final invoice will now be £ ------.40 including vat and I will prepare the invoice for you .

It is essential that we carry out a check of our work within 3 months of your collection .

This can be done whilst you wait by prior arrangement.

We would then need to inspect the motorhome within a further 9 months to comply with our 12 month warranty.

It is strongly recommended that the motorhome is fully checked every 12 months thereafter to ensure that any water ingress to any part of the motorhome body structure is resolved immediately .

Naturally if at any time you are concerned about water ingress then we would be pleased to carry out further additional checks and be able to say that there is no problem rather than you leave it and find a problem later.

We will be completing the work on Monday morning and we will then carry out final checks and cleaning so that you can collect the motorhome on Wednesday 22 January.

I will ensure that our leading technician – Gary- will be available to explain in detail all of the work that has been completed and the reasons for this work on collection.

Please confirm that you will be able to collect next Wednesday and approximately what time you will be with us.

SUNDANCE 2005 630L

Guest JudgeMental
granddad - 2014-01-19 11:23 AM

sorry judge

iit should have been on the top of page

IT IS A SUNDANCE 2005 630L

no need to apologise especially to moi:-D .. and I'm sorry for your apparent problems and expense.

as for them (who ever they may be) continuing carrying out more works and adding more expense (£?) without discussing the additional work with you..I wouldn't have any of that nonsense! Would only pay the previous agreed sum (if there was one) unless of course you gave permission for them to proceed without permission...a pretty foolhardy thing to do to be honest.

I assume a repair was requested, and an original "estimate" provided? However, the repairer appears to have been very remiss not to have sought agreement for additional work, or did he? If he didn't, and is now hitting you with a huge bill, I would expect him to fully itemise the cost between materials and labour. You have little choice when confronted with these repairs if DIY is not feasible. Either get the repair, or sell the van for what it will make! Let us know the outcome.

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-19 1:10 PM

I assume a repair was requested, and an original "estimate" provided? However, the repairer appears to have been very remiss not to have sought agreement for additional work, or did he? If he didn't, and is now hitting you with a huge bill, I would expect him to fully itemise the cost between materials and labour. You have little choice when confronted with these repairs if DIY is not feasible. Either get the repair, or sell the van for what it will make! Let us know the outcome.

Brian your right i was given an estimate at first but because the ingress was more they ask me to go along and have a look which i did and AGREE to the other work ,and even went under neath

I could not do it my self so to keep the m/h i had it done or lose more money (I like the van )

my post was to show what happens when the side skirts are not sealed

Thanks for the clarification Dave. I was just wondering how you got where you are. Sounds like a very large job indeed. You'd think that after what, 70 odd years, of making caravans and then motorhomes, manufacturers would have worked out where the weaknesses are in their construction methods, and how to eliminate them. Hope the final bill wasn't too bad! Happy travels.

When we bought our Mobilvetta Driver 52 I noticed it had been well sealed every where LOL. I have had this thread on before but regarding the side skirts. It was found after they had renew the waste tank emptying fitting that the floor had rotted in rear corner ( one of the holding bolts came through the floor), anyway they took the offside skirt off and found the wood batten along the side had rotted, maybe from years ago they thought. It ended up they renewed the floor at the back around 70cmx 1m plus the baton.I called in at one time and it looked a right mess, what with the under floor taken out to the inside floor and the skirt was hanging off the vehicle. To be fair to the dealer it had a clean bill of health on all its history and one would not expect to get underneath for a damp check. As I was in no hurry for it they took 6 weeks and of course no charge.

When we bought our Mobilvetta Driver 52 I noticed it had been well sealed every where LOL. I have had this thread on before but regarding the side skirts. It was found after they had renew the waste tank emptying fitting that the floor had rotted in rear corner ( one of the holding bolts came through the floor), anyway they took the offside skirt off and found the wood batten along the side had rotted, maybe from years ago they thought. It ended up they renewed the floor at the back around 70cmx 1m plus the baton.I called in at one time and it looked a right mess, what with the under floor taken out to the inside floor and the skirt was hanging off the vehicle. To be fair to the dealer it had a clean bill of health on all its history and one would not expect to get underneath for a damp check. As I was in no hurry for it they took 6 weeks and of course no charge.

Guest JudgeMental
Caroline - 2014-01-22 4:18 PM

Ok sorry for this question....what are the side skirts and what should I look for to see if mine have been sealed.

Is it the grey coloured pieces that also form the wheel arches??

(?)

Yep...... :-D

Caroline - 2014-01-22 4:18 PM

Ok sorry for this question....what are the side skirts and what should I look for to see if mine have been sealed.

Is it the grey coloured pieces that also form the wheel arches??

(?)

yes, thats them, They are the 'trims' that tidy up the van below the Habitation line, and can cover a 'mutitude of sins', and if the bodywork isn't sealed properly behind them, provides an entry point for damp and water to get into the structure. You would need to get underneath the van to check if it had been sealed properly, and even then, it's not always obvious. *-) Ray

well iv got my home back all sealed

all the skirts have been sealed

what happen was the water got past the skirts to the floor underneath to rot the floor and just started to creep up the inside walls as luck had it if i had not check underneath then one rotten m/h....

well when i pick i mine up their was an 06 plate behind mine same thing

Archived