Cooking on the move II. A Grill. What for?

Will86

As the resident Chef our present VW van has a grill not an oven. Can someone explain its purpose apart from being a plate warmer. At this moment its untried.

A skillet is a possible answer for cooking but also untried as yet.

Your comments please.

Trolling again Will *-)

we've been using campervans and camping for decades with just a grill and twin burner hob and have no trouble with our 'meat and two veg' ;-)

p.s. did live in a caravan which had an oven, waste of space that was.

Minimalist cooking provision is fine if : (1) you usually eat in restuarants (some do when on holiday for a period,otherwise can be expensive) (2) You are lucky enough to be in a warm climate, and Like to barbeque outside (3) you are very 'well prepared' with 'Skillets' (2 form an oven to put on a gas ring) have a 'Pyramid on a ring' toaster (never found those satisfactory).

However, we tend to go away for 2 or 3 months at a time, and a restricted menu can get boring.

So, for us, we like a full oven, also have a microwave for when on EHU, and a toaster (EHU again).

So, not minimalist, we also have a 7.6 metre van and now will be towing a car on an A-frame, to overcome the 'scourge' of height barriers. Even a 'Downsized' PVC won't be able to overcome those. :-( Ray

ps. have done all of 1/2/3 over the years. Have never found a 'fitted grill' that can do toast half as good as a 'proper' toaster.

We have a smev with a combined oven grill,oven is ok but grill is useless wont even do a decent bit of toast,i like the oven though cos i like making pies,steak and ale today,just before xmas got a george foreman gril fot £20 and its good for steaks etc(fish fingers a disaster though lol)

Our Tec Tower grill is useless use the oven for par-baked bread otherwise all cooking done on 3 burner hob don't have any problem doing it that way.

Don't use EHU, bar-b-que not worth the effort so don't carry one & don't eat out much maybe a couple of times a week.

Guest pelmetman

Wouldn't be without our oven even though we have one of those skillet things which is useful.......although just tried out the new food processor for making pastry ;-)..........

So Mince & Onion pie today with roast tatties and 3 veg :->............as its raining :'(...........looks like its just about to stop :-|................that's 3 hours rain in one go :-| .............and we've only been here 2 weeks 8-).......

Guest JudgeMental

heavens...still not sorted out your reheating food dilemma Will :-S

we use a round version of this hob top grill, for sealing/cooking fish, meat etc...

http://www.johnlewis.com/le-creuset-square-grillit-cotton-26cm/p819151

also use our safari gas BBQ, as its very versatile.....

2 tier steamer for veg

and the ubiquitous £5 flat camping toaster for perfect and fast toast

http://www.gelert.com/products/folding_camping_toaster

Thanks for the replies - not a lot gained on exactly what a grill can be used for - no doubt by trial and error I will find out this year. The alloy cooking pot - cum skillet - bought earlier has not been tested yet either. Watch this space.

PS Not yet, its been rather chilly and damp out in the countryside and the joints have yet to warm up.

Guest JudgeMental

But Hamish you can do all of that and it will probably cook better without a grill. :-D

Will, why dont you remove the grill..create a bigger aperture and fit an oven ;-)

JudgeMental - 2014-01-19 3:43 PM

But Hamish you can do all of that and it will probably cook better without a grill. :-D

Will, why dont you remove the grill..create a bigger aperture and fit an oven ;-)

If you are using the utensils you previously linked to is one not just a frying pan and the other for toasting bread at a bonfire

:-D

Guest JudgeMental
sshortcircuit - 2014-01-19 3:55 PM

If you are using the utensils you previously linked to is one not just a frying pan and the other for toasting bread at a bonfire

all top chefs use a heavy cast iron griddle to seal/cook steaks..... By the time you have grilled your toast (yawn) and bacon, and cleaned the smelly grill. I have eaten, done the washing up and been for a long bike ride :-D

JudgeMental - 2014-01-19 5:14 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-01-19 3:55 PM

all top chefs use a heavy cast iron griddle to seal/cook steaks..... By the time you have grilled your toast (yawn) and bacon, and cleaned the smelly grill. I have eaten, done the washing up and been for a long bike ride :-D

The OP was a question about a grill and not a griddle so what the "top chefs" use is of no consequence.

I'm afraid the device you refer t as a "grille" has been mis-identified on this occasion. Far from being a device whose purpose is to cook food its sole purpose is to make stale bread, very slowly. In fact it could possibly go stake on its own faster than when placed under said device. :D

D.

Guest JudgeMental
maggyd - 2014-01-19 7:56 PM

But not as healthy ;-)

Agree far from healthy, but think you missed post part 1. Wills mission is to reheat supermarket ready meals off grid with no 230 v supply.....don't shoot me! I'm only the messenger! :-D

sshortcircuit - 2014-01-19 8:42 PM

Dave is referring to a "grille" and stale bread?????

Judge is referring to a "missed post part 1" ?????

Whats this all got to do with the OP?

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Cooking-on-the-move/33316/

Had forgotten all about this, it seems will is of my mothers generation, quite willing to eat warmed up crap.

You mean am I seeking fame then most certainly, with or without a grill.

Ps I just penned a long answer and lost it which dents the fame a bit now but an oven is definitely the better way-to-go ... and where is he these days.

An oven exchange is in progress.

Thanks. Willy Wombat

Will85 - 2014-01-19 9:11 PM

An oven exchange is in progress.

Thanks. Willy Wombat

Will...If you have a cupboard which would lend itself to being replaced with an oven, then that would seem like the route to explore.. ;-)

...as most other options( double skillets/"Dutch ovens" etc) would be a compromise to some degree or other..

Archived