Cooking on the move II. A Grill. What for?

Will86

Will85 - 2014-01-19 9:11 PM

You mean am I seeking fame then most certainly, with or without a grill.

Ps I just penned a long answer and lost it which dents the fame a bit now but an oven is definitely the better way-to-go ... and where is he these days.

An oven exchange is in progress.

Thanks. Willy Wombat

I'm sure cak-tanks will have something suitable, quite how good those mini ovens are I don't know, I notice calorgas uk do a mini oven/hob, once again no experiance of it.

As for Jacko, nice chap, always pays his bills on time ;-)

Okay you lot, lets see if we can actually find a quick solution for Will!

Will NEEDS to heat (safely) ready meals etc without an oven or microwave, it isn't our place to question WHY he wants to do this, the fact is that he does ... so how does he do it?

He's already 'made' a form of double skillet/oven, however, if it works like the standard double skillet it will still take a fair while to heat up stuff (depending on what it is and it's consistency). I therefore wonder if instead of using it as it is, putting in some water and boiling it, then putting the ready meal in on a rack to lift it off the bottom, like you would with a steamer, would work? Obviously if you had an actual steamer this could be used instead of the skillet! Heating it up in this would prevent the bottom of the ready meal being overcooked/burnt in a dry skillet, and probably make the heating of the whole meal more 'even'. You could even go as far as using the bottom of the skillet/steamer to cook some veg/spuds etc for a second meal or to accompany the ready meal. Obviously this would only work if the ready meal is a 'soft' one and not pastry etc which would just go soggy! :-S

Do you think this would work? :-D

Mrs H prefers the ready meals which is the reason for an oven arrangement. Its the jaws and teeth they become troublesome in later life. As said work in progress. Lots of advise thanks its all been noted.

If my so called oven works I will make a two tiered stainless rack that stands inside for the ready meals. I don't give up easily.

Mel B - 2014-01-19 10:08 PM

Okay you lot, lets see if we can actually find a quick solution for Will!

Will NEEDS to heat (safely) ready meals etc without an oven or microwave, it isn't our place to question WHY he wants to do this, the fact is that he does ... so how does he do it?

Well, "Matron Mel"..I think you'll fine that a good many of us "lot" have already posted advice and experiences on this subject on Will's other "no oven", related threads...."advice" which he really "NEEDS" to try out in full before he just re-asks the same question again... ;-)

Sorry if that sounded a bit terse Will..but do give some of the earlier ideas a try..You'll soon see if they are worth messing with...

(..our metal saucepan "Dutch oven" worked..BUT took bl**dy ages to roast our little chicken! :-S (lol) )

Will85 - 2014-01-19 9:11 PM

You mean am I seeking fame then most certainly, with or without a grill.

Ps I just penned a long answer and lost it which dents the fame a bit now but an oven is definitely the better way-to-go ... and where is he these days.

An oven exchange is in progress.

Thanks. Willy Wombat

Well when and if you do :-D make sure you give us plenty of information and photographs !! my O.H will curse you. (lol) (lol)

gocro - 2014-01-20 7:46 PM

A dedicated grill is really a waste of space, measure the aperture and you may be able to replace with a small oven with a grill Smev do a couple.

Unfortunately the Smev grill only is not at tall as the Smev grill/oven, or just the oven version so worth a try but I doubt if the aperture would be big enough for it to fit.

pepe63 - 2014-01-20 8:15 AM

Well, "Matron Mel"..I think you'll fine that a good many of us "lot" have already posted advice and experiences on this subject on Will's other "no oven", related threads...."advice" which he really "NEEDS" to try out in full before he just re-asks the same question again... ;-)

Well I must admit that at 10.08pm I wasn't in the 'mood' for wading through some of the previous threads so just offered my 'steamer' pan type suggestion and tried to get everyone back on track to finding a solution to the actual OP! :-D

Oh ... and pepe63 my sweet ... you call me matron again and you'll end up looking and sounding like Kenneth Williams!!!! >:-) ;-)

Archived