Touring Europe

candapack

Planning our first trip abroad in the van. Already had lots of maps, and various oldish campsite guides. The ACSI books and DVD arrived this morning, the various Aires books just ordered. Sat Nav updated with latest maps too.

Plus a laptop with AutoRoute on it, complete with the 130,000 POI's kindly provided by someone on here recently, sorry can't remember your name but thanks anyway. And a tablet for back-up Sat Nav purposes.

All I need now is a van with more storage space so I can take some clothes too. :D

candapack - 2014-01-21 10:32 AM

Planning our first trip abroad in the van. Already had lots of maps, and various oldish campsite guides. The ACSI books and DVD arrived this morning, the various Aires books just ordered. Sat Nav updated with latest maps too.

Plus a laptop with AutoRoute on it, complete with the 130,000 POI's kindly provided by someone on here recently, sorry can't remember your name but thanks anyway. And a tablet for back-up Sat Nav purposes.

All I need now is a van with more storage space so I can take some clothes too. :D

You could always tow a trailer for your essentials.

:-D

Have a good trip !

Guest JudgeMental

Think hard about security.. money belts for passports, cash and cards, a decent size safe for all valuables not a bad idea, Milenco window alarms (cheap and effective)

its pretty easy to load all the required site/Aires POI on a sat nag these days...far easier when your tired and just want to find some where quick to get your head down.

JudgeMental - 2014-01-21 10:51 AM

Think hard about security.. money belts for passports, cash and cards, a decent size safe for all valuables not a bad idea, Milenco window alarms (cheap and effective)

its pretty easy to load all the required site/Aires POI on a sat nag these days...far easier when your tired and just want to find some where quick to get your head down.

Yes, security has high priority especially with OH. Will have a look at various products.

Thanks.

All this from a site camper, just think of the requirements if you free camp!!! A 12 bore perhaps, oh don' t forget really good locks for your necessary e-bikes. Just go and be streetwise, safe travelling.

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2014-01-21 1:29 PM

All this from a site camper, just think of the requirements if you free camp!!! A 12 bore perhaps, oh don' t forget really good locks for your necessary e-bikes. Just go and be streetwise, safe travelling.

Says he with an IQ of 10, What about when you want to park up on route and leave the van. I dont JUST use sites...but neither do I make it an obsessive quest NOT to spend money unlike some...

my wifes new bike cost 3K and one I have just ordered cost near 5K...are you seriously suggesting decent locks not a consideration and a waste of time....have been riding more or less daily for 4 years in London and have not lost one yet.......Maybe because I know what I'm doing?*-)

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-01-21 2:20 PM

my wifes new bike cost 3K and one I have just ordered cost near 5K.

5K 8-)..............you could get a decent camper for that sort of money Eddie ;-)............

Guest JudgeMental

YOU may think so......I could not possibly comment.....

Take my cycling seriously thats all, plenty of 3-5K (and upwards) road bikes around these days....Plus I'm still owed my 60th B day prezzie :-D

edit: just remembered..was in the bike shop a few weeks ago and a chap was wheeling out the shop his new road bike.....10K... Yep....TEN THOUSAND POUNDS.......Pelmet...PELMET! get up!! ambulance!!! :D

Ten years ago when we were both laid off from work we toured France and Spain for 6 months,in an old self-built merc van,van was i bit tatty so we simply fitted clasps and padlocks to the inside of the driver and passenger doors and a larger one on the back doors,oh and 2 dogs of course.of course i'm not suggesting that for a nice camper! A trailer though is a good idea,its amazing how much gear you need.We only spent about 3500 grand and i got my job back when we got home.I must say the journey was as enjoyable as arriving places,we got lost loads but didnt have a fixed itinerary so it didnt matter,and we found by accident some amazing campsites and wild camping places,stayed for a week by a lake in spain and didnt see a soul,apart from a goat herder who we shared a bottle of wine with,a real character,he walked all over the mountains with no shoes!

Guest JudgeMental
we all have to start somewhere.... in my 20's went down to Greece and left the £200 V'dub van in Crete with a knackered engine...we had run out of money and it needed a new engine. next year our £120 bedford van made it to Morocco and back without losing a beat.....

JudgeMental - 2014-01-21 6:13 PM

we all have to start somewhere.... in my 20's went down to Greece and left the £200 V'dub van in Crete with a knackered engine...we had run out of money and it needed a new engine. next year our £120 bedford van made it to Morocco and back without losing a beat.....

Come on Judge you need to wash your mouth out

You are telling us a cheap old British van lasted better than the wonderful vans that the master race produce.

That just cannot be right

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

HWO

Guest pelmetman
HWO - 2014-01-21 6:34 PM

JudgeMental - 2014-01-21 6:13 PM

Come on Judge you need to wash your mouth out

You are telling us a cheap old British van lasted better than the wonderful vans that the master race produce.

That just cannot be right

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

HWO

The truth will out :D.................

JudgeMental - 2014-01-21 7:13 PMwe all have to start somewhere.... in my 20's went down to Greece and left the £200 V'dub van in Crete with a knackered engine...we had run out of money and it needed a new engine. next year our £120 bedford van made it to Morocco and back without losing a beat.....
+

They're called 'Transporter' because that's where you used to find them.

[[ Exits stage left followed by a screaming hoard of Middle aged VW affection-ados ]]

Says he with an IQ of 10, What about when you want to park up on route and leave the van. I dont JUST use sites...but neither do I make it an obsessive quest NOT to spend money unlike some...

my wifes new bike cost 3K and one I have just ordered cost near 5K...are you seriously suggesting decent locks not a consideration and aup theaste of time....have been riding more or less daily for 4 years in London and have not lost one yet.......Maybe because I know what I'm doing?*-)

Ease up M'lud I was just kidding, I should know better than to try and wind up the bench.

Security is important but not at the expense of forever looking over your shoulder. I know you're from the soft south, so I guess you have to avoid all eye contact to ensure you're don't get stabbed!

I must stop this, this game is just too easy.

Guest JudgeMental
starvin marvin - 2014-01-23 10:52 AM

my wifes new bike cost 3K and one I have just ordered cost near 5K...are you seriously suggesting decent locks not a consideration and aup theaste of time....have been riding more or less daily for 4 years in London and have not lost one yet.......Maybe because I know what I'm doing?*-)

Ease up M'lud I was just kidding, I should know better than to try and wind up the bench.

Security is important but not at the expense of forever looking over your shoulder. I know you're from the soft south, so I guess you have to avoid all eye contact to ensure you're don't get stabbed!

In that case you need to swot up on internet etiquette and use of smileys! (^)

what I objected to was the " for your necessary e-bikes" quip which I interpreted as a snide comment....

Thats the thing though..install proper security and you can relax and holiday less likely to be ruined *-)

Or

Just look like your poor and the crooks will leave you alone.

Our van is coming up 18 years old and will never be shiney again, crap chairs outside (never put expensive matching ones out, dead giveaway), cheap bikes, battered scooter that will never be nicked.

No security whatsoever, go to sleep with the windows open, no alarms or nothing. I certainly sleep easier in Europe than the UK though.

JudgeMental - 2014-01-23 11:05 AM

starvin marvin - 2014-01-23 10:52 AM

In that case you need to swot up on internet etiquette and use of smileys! (^)

what I objected to was the " for your necessary e-bikes" quip which I interpreted as a snide comment....

Thats the thing though..install proper security and you can relax and holiday less likely to be ruined *-)

Interprete it as you like your honour, but use smiley's no chance, it would just spoil the fun. Have a nice day.

Archived