Yorkshire welcomes motorhomes for Le Tour

robertandjean

Well our part of Yorkshire, Kirklees council area which includes the main hill climb at Holme Moss, certainly is. The latest edition of our local council news sheet informs us, and we quote, "no cars, camper vans or motorhomes will be allowed to park either on the route or on the verges next to the route, particularly at Holme village and Holme Moss" No more to say, except perhaps a let's hear it for the good old U.K.!!!!!

Yes, unfortunately its what we have come to expect from many local councils in the UK.

How much better if they had said something like 'motorhomes are welcome at x, y and z locations and we have made special provision for motorhomes at x and y. We can't allow motorhomes to park at some other places on the main route as this may interfere with the running of the event.'

Paul

Easyliving - 2014-01-21 9:32 PM

Yes, unfortunately its what we have come to expect from many local councils in the UK.

How much better if they had said something like 'motorhomes are welcome at x, y and z locations and we have made special provision for motorhomes at x and y. We can't allow motorhomes to park at some other places on the main route as this may interfere with the running of the event.'

Paul

Agreed. Of course they don't want vehicles parked on the route itself, but surely countries/councils lobby to have major events brought to their area to bring in money. So they need to make it as easy as possible to bring people to that area. The problem is that local/national government will generally home in on the problems that might arise, where private enterprise will mostly focus on the opportunity to make money.

And I'm not saying that either is right.

(!) (!) (!)

Its a shame that such a high profile event is to be marred by local authorities petty beurocrocie and red tape they do not deserve to host the event.  Although not possible because of the enthusiastic followers everyone should boycott the UK leg leaving the local authorities with egg on their faces and empty cash registers .

If that sort of thing happened in France the peasants would be revolting. It's amazing how many times the Tour has been stopped by striking farmers, political activists etc.

Maybe we all park up and block the route demanding action by the government/councils to implement a nationwide aire scheme. You would certainly get TV time.

Guest Had Enough
colin - 2014-01-21 9:34 PM

Is the route suitable for parking?

We parked up quite innocently on the side of road in Nice, on return to car where meet by to police who had just placed out no parking signs for a 'local' race, we had to move on.

What, you had to move on in motorhome friendly France - surely not? Didn't those cops realise how much money you're putting into the local economy by staying on a free aire and buying a baguette every day!

And I thought it was only in Yorkshire where, for obvious safety reasons, they didn't want very narrow roads clogged up with cars and motorhomes.

Going downhill that France I'm afraid!

robertandjean - 2014-01-21 9:15 PM

Well our part of Yorkshire, Kirklees council area which includes the main hill climb at Holme Moss, certainly is. The latest edition of our local council news sheet informs us, and we quote, "no cars, camper vans or motorhomes will be allowed to park either on the route or on the verges next to the route, particularly at Holme village and Holme Moss" No more to say, except perhaps a let's hear it for the good old U.K.!!!!!

We've got some, "non-motorhoming", cycling friends who have followed several stages of the last few years tour ( in France) and as they're toying with also following it this side of the channel this time,this thread caught my eye...

Not knowing the area(only having been up/around Yorkshire a few times),I've just had a very quick Google earth/street view...and to be fair, a lot of the section you mention seems to be lined by dry stone walls, post & wire fences, crash barriers or steep/dodgy looking verges that you wouldn't really want to risk a MH on anyway....

So unless you were planning on pitching your van in some farmer's field or blocking his drive', I'm not entirely sure where you were expecting to be able to plonk it?....

Surely it's better to state "No parking on verges" from the off, rather than risk out and out chaos, when trying to shift people...? :-S

pepe63 - 2014-01-22 11:12 AM

robertandjean - 2014-01-21 9:15 PM

We've got some, "non-motorhoming", cycling friends who have followed several stages of the last few years tour ( in France) and as they're toying with also following it this side of the channel this time,this thread caught my eye...

Not knowing the area(only having been up/around Yorkshire a few times),I've just had a very quick Google earth/street view...and to be fair, a lot of the section you mention seems to be lined by dry stone walls, post & wire fences, crash barriers or steep/dodgy looking verges that you wouldn't really want to risk a MH on anyway....

So unless you were planning on pitching your van in some farmer's field or blocking his drive', I'm not entirely sure where you were expecting to be able to plonk it?....

Surely it's better to state "No parking on verges" from the off, rather than risk out and out chaos, when trying to shift people...? :-S

This is a good point actually. I live up here and whilst there are some great wild spots up on the moors on the high ground on the route a lot of it is narrow roads edged by dry stone walls. There will be the odd pull in or bit of space but they are few and far between unlike the Alps for example where its often quite open.

I would suggest coming up a few days before and finding a spot a few miles from the route. You will then of course need secondary transport.

I will probably have a ride over on the scooter if I am here. ITs about 20 miles south of me.

Unfortunate that you chose to selectively quote the article in "Together".

The next paragraph reads :

"You will be able to book camper van and motorhome spaces close to Holme Moss with local farmers who are opening up some of their land over the weekend - see our website for details"

The website is www.kirklees.gov.uk/letour

As the roads in the area are barely wide enough to allow two vehicles to pass in places, where would you have recommended motorhomers to have parked up had the council not been so unreasonable as to ban all parking along the route ?

Yes it is true that local farmers etc are making space available for motorhomes to stay, which according to our local paper will be at a cost of around £100/£150 for the week-end. The general point I was making was that the tone emanating from the local council was one not welcoming to motorhomes and not in the spirit of le tour, and I stick with this view. The fact that local farmers are making muddy fields available at exorbitant costs tends I would suggest to strengthen my case. Again it is also true that the roads up Holme Moss are narrow in places but there are places where with good will and a bit of work by the council motorhome parking could be provided, if the will was there.

Regarding the comment where do think we can plonk our motorhome, well it will remain on our drive, we live less than 10 miles from the area and if we did visit would use public transport. However, given the general attitude shown will we think we will watch the race in France, as we have in the past, where we will be made welcome.

But where ever you choose to watch enjoy .

robertandjean - 2014-01-24 5:24 PM

The fact that local farmers are making muddy fields available at exorbitant costs tends I would suggest to strengthen my case....

Regarding the comment where do think we can plonk our motorhome, well it will remain on our drive, we live less than 10 miles from the area and if we did visit would use public transport.

Just a pity you don't live a bit closer...because if you did, maybe you could've offered up your drive' and front garden for free MH parking, eh? ;-)

pepe63 - 2014-01-24 8:21 PM

Just a pity you don't live a bit closer...because if you did, maybe you could've offered up your drive' and front garden for free MH parking, eh? ;-)

You don't get owt for nowt in Yorkshire, or so the saying goes.

pepe63 - 2014-01-24 8:21 PM

robertandjean - 2014-01-24 5:24 PM

The fact that local farmers are making muddy fields available at exorbitant costs tends I would suggest to strengthen my case....

Regarding the comment where do think we can plonk our motorhome, well it will remain on our drive, we live less than 10 miles from the area and if we did visit would use public transport.

Well peep 63 if you want to come up, and we are at home, then we can fit you on the end of the drive. A bit of a slope but not too bad and you can hook up get water etc. Of course there will be no charge and we would hope you would join us for a glass or two of French red!

Archived