Hubby says ... it just came off in my hand ... honest!!!

Mel B

We went to take the camper out today to collect our kitchen floor vinyl and when hubby went to lift the wipers to remove the old external screen (we use it for protection from the weather and keep the inside of the camper's temperature up a bit) the wiper blades just 'came off in his hand'!!! 8-)

The clips holding the actual blades on had perished and cracked, so the actual blades themselves just came off totally, leaving the broken clips still attached to the metal arms. *-)

We've never ever experienced this before so can't say exactly what has caused them to do this - we don't park the van facing into the sun so the only conclusion we can draw is that it is down to the freezing temperatures and wind chill - our drive faces North and we are completely open to the elements with fields opposite us. The blades themselves are fine and still have a lot of life left in them, it's just the clips that have 'cracked up'! :D

We had no choice but to use the camper so I put some pipe insulation on the ends of the wiper arms to stop them marking the windscreen in case hubby 'accidentally' turned them on! :$ When we got back home hubby had a rootle around in the garage and found some old ones so he's been able to fit them for now. :->

So, if you get a chance, have a look at the clips on your wipers too ... just in case they are cracking up too! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
You never seem to learn Mel..........time to move on and get rid, and buy a proper fit for purpose model (talking about the old fella :D)

For outdoor use all plastic components should have a stabilizer incorporated in the mixture to protect the substance from the long-term degradation effects from light, most frequently ultraviolet radiation.

This manufacturer thought otherwise which made them cheaper to produce.

JudgeMental - 2014-01-22 10:44 AM

Vinyl flooring?.......Mel! That is sooooooo 1970's! :D

You haven't looked at what's on offer now then Eddie - there's loads of it about, in all manner of styles and colours.

We are really restricted on what we can put in the kitchen due to the funny wall runs - not a single right angle in there as the kitchen tapers off - if I put anything in with obvious straight lines, like floor tiles for example, I could make it look okay at one corner but it would look totally stupid everywhere else! *-) hence why we've gone for a vinyl floor covering with minimal pattern, but not totally plain. I did toy with laminate flooring as I could have laid the lines crossways, rather than lengthways which is where you see the tapering, but with the dogs I could easily see skidding across the floor all the time and bashing into things as they run around ... and I certainly do NOT want vets bills for broken legs etc! 8-) So vinyl it is. We've gone for a nice grey hessian weave pattern which isn't too obvious but will go very nicely in our kitchen, fairly modern but not so much that it looks out of place in our old "paupers" cottage! :-D

Mel - if you replace the wipers with new ones of the same make you will at least then have two spare blades - assuming you do not stare at the new clips for too long and make them disintegrate - and a nice new set of wipers ready for the forthcoming British Summertime!

Mel B - 2014-01-22 7:21 PM

lennyhb - 2014-01-22 9:15 AM

Changed my blades a few months ago the clips were OK after 5 years.

Don't suppose you kept your old clips did you Lenny! :D

I don't think so I'll have look in the garage in the morning, just got in from dancing (lol)

lennyhb - 2014-01-22 11:17 PM

I don't think so I'll have look in the garage in the morning, just got in from dancing (lol)

Will you be having a look with 'Lens Lens'? ;-) Keeeeeeeeeeeeeee dancing.

bolero boy - 2014-01-23 8:54 AM

K-e-er-nackered just got up (9:30), Swing Monday night, Swing Tues night, Swing & Rock'n;Roll last night. (lol) (lol)

lennyhb - 2014-01-23 9:38 AM

K-e-er-nackered just got up (9:30), Swing Monday night, Swing Tues night, Swing & Rock'n;Roll last night. (lol) (lol)

Hi LEN,

Is it 'swing off the chandelier' on friday night (lol)

cheers

derek

derek pringle - 2014-01-23 9:44 AM

lennyhb - 2014-01-23 9:38 AM

Hi LEN,

Is it 'swing off the chandelier' on friday night (lol)

cheers

derek

Nar down the pub for a jar or two to recover before the weekend onslaught. :D

Sorry Mel no sign of the old blades must thrown them clips would have still been on them.

Archived