Swift Kon-tiki owners <WAVE>

Lizzy

New to these boards: want to say that I found an ? unusual layout recently :-) [used model] It's on a Fiat Ducato 2.8idTD PAS , 4 berth with fixed bed at an angle allowing room for a rear hanging space: small wash basin in the bedroom area, separate good sized shower/loo area. Anyone own one of this model type? What recommends Kon-tiki generally? Hubby and I have been looking for 18 months now. We're not ina hurry but do want fixed bed layout - can't be phaffing about making beds on hols ;-) Also like the idea of a rear-washroom and fixed bed but the expected new Rapido 999M will be out of our price range - unless ERNIE couffs up!

Hi Lizzy, we bought a 2003 Kon Tiki 665 earlier this year after having several motorhomes without fixed beds. Although there are arguments against fixed beds-mainly the space they take up- we think the drawbacks are outweighed by the convenience. Unless we have been very lucky the van has lived up to its price! The only item needed has been a new plastic switch for the fridge and I know the previous owner was happy with the van as he replaced it with a new one. Sorry, can't help with the layout which you describe with a basin outside of the washroom. Happy hunting!

Hi, We have just traded in our Bessacarr E735 fixed bed garage model - This is the same van as a Kontiki, but rebadged with different trim. The build quality (?) is the same. There is an owner review on the MHF site that you should read before making your decision. Ours has not been quite so bad, it is back to Brownhills for yet more warranty work before I finallly get rid, and then I can give a full report of my 18 months of ownership! However, I cannot in all honesty recommed these vans. I guess that we were seduced by the showroom appeal, rather than the practicalities. Robin

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-09-04 2:16 PM And the practicalities - for and against?[/QUOTE] O.K, Lizzy - here goes - remember this is my personal view and relates to our garage model Bessacarr which is a 2004 E735, and therefore not the layout that you are looking at. Some of the stuff below is general to the Kontiki / Bessacarr E7xx Range and some specific to the layout of my van. It will also depend on type of useage - we use our van all year for touring around (mostly France), mostly staying on Aires or small sites without Electric hook up. The van has done 18,000 miles and we have spent something like 80 nights way in the last 18 months. The E735 is a six berth with the drop down Luton double bed and a fixed double across the rear over the garage - therefore designed more as a family van. Here is a brain dump list things that are both good and bad: It was reasonably quiet although furniture is now beginning to shake, rattle and roll. Ambience is pleasing with UK freindly furnishings Concertina blinds are good. Excellent stove (although the 4th Electric hotplate is a gimmick) Removable table is good and bad - spacious when put way, but takes up far too much space when up. and there is only really dining and seating for 4 in this 6 berth van. Beds are comfortable. The swivel cab seats are restricted by other furniture so can only be used sideways. The removal draining board is excellent. The conversion is heavy - with a 'mass in running order' of 3479 kilos - this is quite a bit more than continental rivals. Some of the furniture is fragile - cupboard doors and fittings - I 've had a loccker door snap in two. The low level marker lights blow with depressing frequency. The Fiat bit and the ALKO chassis are excellent. The big Luton is a nightmare in a headwind - fuel consumption and performance wise. Internal storage space is not well thought out - e.g. there is a big area under the fridge which could have been a very useful cupboard, but only contains fresh air. The double floor 'feature' does not extend to the front of the van. The rear garage is huge, but its payload is limited by the 100 litre water tank which hangs right at the back. This is a big van (7.5 metres) but space is not well utilised - so we could have the same amount of space and storage in smaller space. Space for two 13k Gas cylinders is good, but locker is not weather proof - with plenty of rain and road muck getting in. Waste tank is not insulated but does have an excellent drain tap. Too many keys The electric wiring is not up to running much on 12v without hookup - I think it is to caravan standard and therefore suffers quite a bit of voltage drop. E.g. the fan on the Truma boiler cuts out when running on full bore if there is more than one light on (even if I have my total of 220 amp hour batteries fully charged) The 12 volt system won't work when the engine is running. The join between the Luton and the roof creates a rain trap with standing water - I have not had any leaks or damp resulting from this, but it doesn't give me a warm feeling for the future. HTH Robin

Archived