CC: Vehicle "eligibility"?

pepe63xnotuse

Hi all...

As we're looking at(hopefully!)selling the MH sometime this year,we're just wondering what the "vehicle requirements" are for meeting CC membership/usage?...

We're not all that bothered about their "main" sites, as there's only the odd one or two that we use now(..and we've got alternatives for them anyway)but there are a few CLs that we find handy and would like to continue using them with our "semi--converted" Toyota Hiace "camping-van"...

Does anyone know if this will be possible/likely?...or would it be a bit hit'n'miss and just depend on the owner?(...we've had a quick shufftie in the handbook and on their website but I can't find anything as of yet..).

If it wasn't for the fact that we're getting a good price on our *joint breakdown/dual recovery, we'd probably let it lapse next time..

(*Hiace & OH's car, for less than half of what the AA were charging for just OH's car, without recovery!)

Thanks

Over the number of years we have been CC members we have seen most forms of "" caravan"" on site.

This includes, 5thly wheelers , most motor-homes and RVs, The site probably restricts the length of the m/home to available pitch sizes. That said we seen tag axle m/homes on site. trailer tents and extended awnings with sleeping annexes.

What we have not seen are stand alone tents, but have seen pup tents, but not for sleeping in at night, more of a play tent for kids in the day. (or storage)

Only stipulation that we did hear about was a trade van (Sign written sides) had to be parked in the visitors car park. So the guy came drove to his pitch, unloaded his shopping and tools etc into his caravan and parked the van in the car park. His only remark was that the showers were generally better than CC&C's

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental
a picture may help as not really sure what sort of van we are talking about.....But surely if you call first and ask do you take self builds....

Not a member of the CC but have used their sites as one night stops,only one ever turned us away,in the lake district i believe,we were in a self built merc van,the guy said they were full but you could see they were not,so i suppose each site is different,a private campsite in scotland actually had a sign saying no self builds but didnt even look at our which was parked outside reception! Because we now have a fifth wheeler we always call and check

Eyup pepe am watching your thread with interest as am considering a hiace conversion for when we exchange our car (iq) love hiace vans have had 3 ... But was thinking a converted hiace would be our vehicle and could use it to go off "camping" .have sold our motorhome and am really missing it !pp. ps I think you have to have cooking and sleeping arrangements but I'd phone up cc and see what they say :)

Hi everyone..and thanks for the input..

People are of cause correct, the only real way of finding out, would be to contact them direct..

But I suppose if I'm honest, I know what the answer would probably be anway("NO!..now,clear off, you scruff!"), hence the reason I was after "less formal" views.... ;-)

Although if it was a clapped out old VW, I wouldn't have to worry because it'd probably be welcomed everywhere! >:-)

Pam...As it stands, ours is little more a lined out/insualted Hiace van, with a homemade bed and a small cupboard unit,to house a stove...although I've got a side window, ready to fit when the weather warms up.

(Although Eddie, I have fitted that rear step/bumper/box that I made... ;-) )

But as I've mentioned before, after using it last year(with our old camping kit), it made us realise just how little in the way of "kit" we really needed.(..we didn't miss all the Truma this..nor the Dometic that..and we didn't miss worrying if something was going to fail to light or not, nor when something didn't seem to "click" in quite it's usual way?..or about the LED "warning light", that we'd never noticed glow that colour before?!..etc..etc. (you know what I mean (lol))

Eyup pepe have you bitten the bullet and phoned the cc yet? I don't think you'll have any problem , my bedtime reading is now ebay looking at all the van conversions (perhaps to use as only vehicle) and I am rather like you in realising we didn't actually use everything in the van we had eg ...shower,water tank was never filled., hated the "electric " step so really we only need :- bed ,loo,fridge, cooker : I do like the ih vans I hope they are still in business when I retire . Pp... It's good to dream eh?

Hi Muswell..

That's interesting to hear that a low roofed van went unchallenged...

..although ours is a 12 year old ex tradesman's van and I'm not pretending that it's trying to emulate a full , "professional" conversion..

I suppose it's more akin to what some would refer to as a "surf van"?.(..that's if it was a VW,of cause! (lol))

Hi Pam..

No, we haven't bothered contacting the CC as of yet and as there's only maybe a couple of CLs that we'd use, we'll probably just contact them direct, nearer the time, rather than ask "officially" and risk a NO!

(..My reasoning being, is that it's a bit like asking for the day off work.. if you're told no, you've then scuppered yourself for taking a sickie! .... (lol) )

Archived