LCD Televisions

Guest Peter James

Guest Peter James

For want of something better to do this wet morning I have just put my new LCD TV alongside my 15 year old Cathode Ray TV side by side and run them off the same source (DVD player)

The picture on the old TV is better than the new one 8-)

Skin colour looks more natural, looking at the screen from an angle its FAR bettter.

The only way the LCD picture is better is the freeze frame looks a bit more steady.

Of course, size weight and power consumption makes LCD the best option in the van.

But I'll be keeping the old one for the house.

Guest Peter James

PS: Sound quality is better on the old one too:-S

I guess thats because the speakers on the new one must be almost flat.

Indeed - the most disappointing thing about our LCD TV's is the sound quality.

In fact I watched a DVD on my Laptop the other night when the Soaps SWMBO likes became just TOO much! 8-) and I used headphones - the difference in sound quality was staggering - background noise and mumbles that were unintelligible when we watched the DVD on the TV became crystal clear important parts of the film.

We are now looking at these "sound bars" that improve the sound.

I was looking at tellys yesterday and saw these sound bar things. £100 extra to add onto a telly that is already £500. What! Surely its possible to make a TV these days even a flat one with decent sound.

When the telly in our front lounge broke last year I went on freecycle and got a 28" Sony surround sounds TV that probably cost a fortune when new for nothing. Nothing wrong with it, just the wrong shape. Colour and sound superb.

Even LCD is too modern for some -

"New data from TV Licencing today revealed that there are 11,550 black and white TV licences still in force in the UK—down from 13,000 this time last year.

Despite colour TV licences being around for nearly 48 years—and the digital switchover forcing black and white viewers to buy an additional set top box—0.04 per cent of households adhere to viewing black and white television.

A colour TV licence currently costs £145.50 and a black and white licence £49; both are not due to be reviewed until 2016."

If you want better sound in the 'van you can always transmit it via FM or bluetooth to your cab radio using an FM transmitter or you can get one of these if your radio has bluetooth as that generally works better inside a 'van than FM http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251365260524?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 .

If you don't want to use your cab radio there are a number of good bluetooth speakers - I have recently treated myself to the "Bose Sound Link Mini" It is superb but not cheap!

If you can be bothered to read the 'expert' reviews/comparisons on line you'll see that even the 'big boys' agree that CRT images are much better/clearer than Plasma or LCD screens.  The findings are nothing new but as they say..........'technology carries on apace'............... but not necessarily down a 'better' track. 

LCD/Plasma came about partly in order to allow for bigger screens.  Being 'flat' technology they win because a 42 inch CRT would have mahoosive depth to it making it all but impossible to fit 'comfortably' into the average lounge.

Graphic designers who require colour accuracy will tell you they get much better colour resolution/clarity from CRT but these days they are just not practical.  Imagine fitting a 27 inch CRT on your desk!  Hence an industry has sprung up making colour analysers/colour correction software for plasma/LCD screens.

Guest Peter James

Well I suppose its not surprising shops didn't display CRT (old) and LED (new) TVs side by side

They show computer generated cartoons instead of photos of real people so you can't tell what the colours should look like.

And you don't find out the sound is crap till you've bought it

Then they can sell you something else to play the sound *-)

Peter James - 2014-01-27 9:27 AM

bigal55 - 2014-01-26 10:13 PM

lcd?, thats yesterdays tech, it should be led smart.

My mistake, yes its LED - this is the one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9158609.htm Gets great reviews for picture and sound but neither are as good as my 15 year old Sony TV.

hi good tv, i,ve got 2 samsungs, the 49in in the lounge is lcd :$ , 5yrs old, i looked on the info web and somebody had put the optimum settings, had to alter 10 settings, the worst usually is the backlight, set far too bright, our picture is far better than our old panasonic crt, but we do watch in hd.

Peter James - 2014-01-27 9:27 AM

My mistake, yes its LED - this is the one http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9158609.htm Gets great reviews for picture and sound but neither are as good as my 15 year old Sony TV.

I'm afraid you have purchased a cheap tv which is not even full HD no wonder it has a poor picture. If you where to see a decent HD tv displaying a full HD picture you will see it knocks spots off an old 625 line CRT

Guest pelmetman
Peter James - 2014-01-26 10:54 AM

For want of something better to do this wet morning I have just put my new LCD TV alongside my 15 year old Cathode Ray TV side by side and run them off the same source (DVD player)

The picture on the old TV is better than the new one 8-)

Skin colour looks more natural, looking at the screen from an angle its FAR bettter.

The only way the LCD picture is better is the freeze frame looks a bit more steady.

Of course, size weight and power consumption makes LCD the best option in the van.

But I'll be keeping the old one for the house.

Ditto.................. B-)

Remember the old BBC test chart with the girl, the clown and the blackboard? That is what TV engineers used to set up the TV.

Similar set up programs are available for LCD/LED TVs. You should be using a set up program to set the colours and contrast levels to suit the lighting conditions in your home. The most accurate colour renditions will be seen if the room has a daylight white lamp - usually placed behind the TV.

Mel is right about the development work on LCDs at Hull. But it is the usual story in that it took another nation to bring the technology to market.

Guest pelmetman
AliB - 2014-01-28 9:54 AM

The most accurate colour renditions will be seen if the room has a daylight white lamp - usually placed behind the TV.

But that would mean all the muck behind the telly would be seen 8-)...............don't you know British women haven't cleaned behind the fridge yet? :-S......

Vote UKIP (lol) (lol)

Archived