toll road system from santander to oporto

deborahbrook

You don't have to use toll roads if you don't want to, the "A" roads are slower but OK. The toll charges can be paid by credit/debit card and the amounts are not high so worth paying if you want to "get going".

Not sure if you refer to campsites but you don't need to book, except in peak season by the seaside. There are lots of places for a motorhome to overnight ranging from "Aires" with all facilities to casual parking where overnighting is allowed or tolerated. Again payments are small and often there is no charge.

Get Vicarious Books "All the Aires Spain and Portugal" it is not all the aires at all but it is a good selection of the better ones.

Finally, do not speed, the Spanish police have tightened up a lot and the fines are instant and will spoil your holiday!

H

Don't trust everything you see online!

We went across N & NW Spain then down into Portugal last July-September - not sure which way you're going or when, but the motorways along the N Coast of Spain are mostly free. (I know some charge but we hardly used them, as the N roads are very good.)

Portugal can certainly be confusing for motorways, as it's a mixture of free, traditional pay-as-you-go, and the new electronic tolls. To be honest, we hardly used the motorways until we were skirting around Porto, where they did come in handy. Full details can be found on http://www.portugaltolls.com/ .

Portugal great for motorhomes - we found Spanish sites dear in season, but in Portugal many are below ACSI rates.

Less sure about All The Aires S&P though - we had an old version someone had given us, which was poor - it might have improved in later editions - but we found www.https://sites.google.com/site/acactivoguia/home useful in Spain, and in Portugal www.campingcarportugal.com .

As above. There is no need to use toll roads at all. In 2009 we went from Calais to Porto, and then on, and didn't use tolls anywhere. From the Spanish border with France to Burgos, then Zamora, Braganca, Chaves, Lamego, Amarante, and Porto. But now I've spoilt half your fun, which is choosing a route! :-)

The answer lies in maps and, since it is about the only versatile route planning software remaining, Microsoft Autoroute. From these you will easily be able to plot routes using, or avoiding, tolls, adjust the driving speeds to what is realistic, plot in rest stops, and realistically forecast when you will arrive where. Enjoy!

Thanks for your response, we will look into that, I'm a bit worried about being robbed, my husband seen some nice stops free in some villages but I am worried that if there isn't security or barriers that ee would be prime for being robbed.

Over here we stop at pub car parks dtc and find it good but not sure about spain and Portugal as what people say

Deborah

Northern Spain, should not be a problem with "robbers", lovely peaceful area.

The main problems with "robbers" is around Barcelona.

One should always be vigilant when travelling any way, even in UK. We keep doors lockend when travelling , especially the van door, We have a fiammi handle/lock, which acts as both securety and hand hold when getting in and out. It also IMO is a safe way of insuring that if the door was to open while moving, and ours is RHD so the door would open on to the traffic, when abroad and maybe cause an accident

Just enjoy your trip

PJay

Archived