portsmouth-cherbourg ferry

jointerjohn

Condorferries.com/offers have got an offer on (caravans go free ) which includes motorhomes i went on line to book but it would not allow me to input length of m/home, in the information it allowed for car and caravan up to 13.5m and m/homes up to 6.5m ??? so i rang the number and they were happy to accept my 7.0m van with cycle rack, £167.20p return 2 adults sunday crossings 15/06/14-20/07/2014.can any one find cheaper?

Condor use this ferry during the week on the Portsmouth / Jersey / Guernsey run, but on Sundays between June and early September give it an extra day return to Cherbourg when it would otherwise have a layover. Last year unfortunately it finished too early for our planned September trip, which is a pity. Although the French would never dream of going on holiday in September, it is when us pensioners come out of our August hibernation for some nice peaceful campsites!

I assume this is the catamaran and if so what is the backup if it is too rough for it to travel. When we went to the Channel Islands they put you on the old ferry in those circumstances. On Monday will not the cat and ferry be needed for Channel Island duties?

I would snap their hand off at that price. Those dates seem to be cheaper than most other Sundays for some reason.

We went the same route in May last year but with Brittany Ferries on the Normandy Express and it was well over £300. When we got to the check in they wanted another £35 for the bikes as we had booked through the C&CC and they had not asked if we had a bike rack. We quickly put the bikes inside the van. >:-)

If it is a similar vessel to the one we were on, (Pointy Front) be prepared to reverse up the ramp in to a tight spot in the vessel.

bobalobs - 2014-01-27 8:34 AM

I assume this is the catamaran and if so what is the backup if it is too rough for it to travel. When we went to the Channel Islands they put you on the old ferry in those circumstances. On Monday will not the cat and ferry be needed for Channel Island duties?

No, they use their 'proper' ferry that usually does the mainly freight run to the channel islands. Plenty of space on it and they use it on the Sunday summer run to Cherbourg as an extra revenue source for their existing overheads - hence the cheap fares. I have been on it to Jersey as a footie, and it is a comfortable boat with friendly staff.

Archived