Potential damp threat in PV if any?

Wirehaired

Wirehaired - 2014-01-30 10:32 PM

Thanks for reply and informative post,also thanks to starvin marvin,i am acquiring more knowledge by the day on this forum,i think the condensation problem is just something that has to be lived with,its no different from what one can experience in the kitchen at home.

thanks again.

The key to helping reduce the impact of condensation is ventilation.

Peter James - 2014-02-01 9:24 PM

I fitted a Pacet VF4840 in the roof, which sucks more than a cubic metre of air every 2 seconds. Enough to shift any smell (lol) : http://www.pacet.co.uk/roofmountedfans.php

Not come across the Pacet VF4840 fan before. Thanks for the information, looks a very useful piece of equipment. Are they a variable rate fan or is it all or nothing?

grahamw - 2014-02-02 11:42 AM

I fitted a Pacet VF4840 in the roof, which sucks more than a cubic metre of air every 2 seconds. Enough to shift any smell (lol) : http://www.pacet.co.uk/roofmountedfans.php

Not come across the Pacet VF4840 fan before. Thanks for the information, looks a very useful piece of equipment. Are they a variable rate fan or is it all or nothing?

Opening a window is as effective. My fan on my previous Duetto was effective but so noisy I preferred to ventilate via the window.

Mike88 - 2014-02-02 11:04 AM

grahamw - 2014-02-02 11:42 AM

Opening a window is as effective. My fan on my previous Duetto was effective but so noisy I preferred to ventilate via the window.

That's why I'm interested to know whether it's a variable rate fan so it can be run at a slower and less noisy speed for the duration of a cooking spell. A cubic metre of air disappearing through that size of hole every second would certainly make a noise but as Peter says if you need to move air quickly a good tool for it.

starvin marvin - 2014-02-02 9:45 AM

Wirehaired - 2014-01-30 10:32 PM

Thanks for reply and informative post,also thanks to starvin marvin,i am acquiring more knowledge by the day on this forum,i think the condensation problem is just something that has to be lived with,its no different from what one can experience in the kitchen at home.

thanks again.

The key to helping reduce the impact of condensation is ventilation.

Yes I think that's what it comes down to,mate of mine has a coach built with window behind where his cooker is located,looking at the different models most of the PVs seem to have the kitchen area by the sliding side door,and as another poster said he uses a pressure cooker,i think that's a good idea.

Guest JudgeMental

we tend to cook on our versatile bbq (safari chef 4-1). and I certainly would not cook fish in the van! even with door open. takes a minute to plug in and away you go...

JudgeMental - 2014-02-02 5:47 PM

we tend to cook on our versatile bbq (safari chef 4-1). and I certainly would not cook fish in the van! even with door open. takes a minute to plug in and away you go...

Thanks for that,i am learning all the time on this forum,i love fish so the safari chef could be good.

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

198368579_cooking.JPG.6340480d90baef2db7ac20c16a4c0029.JPG

2070990466_cooking1.JPG.730aebdbbc72eb1a04073d4362dc31f5.JPG

Guest JudgeMental
Wirehaired - 2014-02-02 7:52 PM

That looks great Judgemental,thanks for posting images,was that in Spain?

sorry about the triple posting..I had real difficulty loading photos :-S

No it was in the Alsace region of france last summer, late July. we hopped from site to site for 10 days cycling a lot, before heading on to switzerland & Italy. Unusually for France the weather was cracking!

I think it goes without saying if the weather's good you cook outside. I have a Safari Chef but tend to leave that at home in winter and take an electric double sided griddle which isn't prone to being blown out or lose its heat. If you are away January/February then cooking outside is not always an option. There are many different ways to cook food especially fish. I personally never cook fish on the hob but prefer it baked in the oven. Couple of sea bream stuffed with slices of lemon and parsley and then laid on a bed of sliced lemon and baked in the oven is difficult to beat for flavour and texture. You don't get the fish smell that way. You can't really go to Spain for winter sun and not buy and cook some of their wonderful array of seafood simply because the weather's poor.

Hello Wirehaired;

if looking at a PV, or any van really, I'd be wary of ones that had been used long term, and wilding, mainly because the "washroom" for want of a better word will have had lots of use, and a shower will have been regularly used. I'd expect more damp problems from water inside rather than from outside the van,

regards,

alan b

snowie - 2014-02-03 8:12 PM

Hello Wirehaired;

if looking at a PV, or any van really, I'd be wary of ones that had been used long term, and wilding, mainly because the "washroom" for want of a better word will have had lots of use, and a shower will have been regularly used. I'd expect more damp problems from water inside rather than from outside the van,

regards,

alan b

Thanks for that snowie,at first I was going to go for a small coach built,but I think a PV will be better for my needs,at first short outings later some longer ones,i am going on Holiday in September then will start the hunt for one when I get back,going to Holland I have been there many times over the past thirty or so years,its one place I would like to do in the van,i believe any wilding is a no no,i will do some research and get advice from members who have been there,and take on board what you said when looking for a van.

cheers Don.

Guest JudgeMental
But! many bathrooms in vans only get used occasionally for showers if at all and its mainly the toilet/hand basin that get used. a poorly fitted shower room with weak tray is pretty easy to spot...Sorry but your pretty safe with a PVC compared to a used CB. My van has sold and just been collected tonight..was quite sad seeing it being driven away...ah well, the king is dead long live the king! on to the next! :-D

JudgeMental - 2014-02-03 10:28 PM

But! many bathrooms in vans only get used occasionally for showers if at all and its mainly the toilet/hand basin that get used. a poorly fitted shower room with weak tray is pretty easy to spot...Sorry but your pretty safe with a PVC compared to a used CB. My van has sold and just been collected tonight..was quite sad seeing it being driven away...ah well, the king is dead long live the king! on to the next! :-D

Thanks for that Judge,i know what you mean about sorry to see your van go,i drive a VW had it for a long time and its been a great car,when I get van and I will be sorry to see it go,if the van I get is half as good it will do me fine,enjoy your new van,it sounds great,anyway time I hit the sack.

Cheers

Guest Peter James
grahamw - 2014-02-02 10:42 AM

No switch is supplied, I just use an ordinary on off switch and put it on for a minute or two when necessary - which isn't very often as I open the big side door when its practical to do so. But its very good to have when you can't do that. I guess you could use a potentiometer to vary the speed if you could find one big enough, but I haven't seen any. The start up current is about double the figure quoted (7 amp or 10.7amp for the extra powerful model) - it it only draws that for a split second but its something that might blow the potentiometer?

Its certainly more effective than opening a window unless it happens to be blowing a gale outside.

Guest Peter James
grahamw - 2014-02-03 10:54 AM

Couple of sea bream stuffed with slices of lemon and parsley and then laid on a bed of sliced lemon and baked in the oven is difficult to beat for flavour and texture. You don't get the fish smell that way.

Sounds lovely, but takes some skill, time, timing, and washing up. Wheras you can't really go wrong with a pressure cooker - just chuck it all in with the veg, and you can't really overcook it or dry it up because its always kept moist in the steam. Its quicker and I guess its healthier too because there's no oil.

Cooking on gas you can reduce the heat as soon as the steam starts escaping. So I fail to understand why you think cooking in the oven produces less smell than in a almost totally sealed pressure cooker with a powerful extractor fan above it.

Peter James - 2014-02-04 9:33 AM

grahamw - 2014-02-03 10:54 AM

Couple of sea bream stuffed with slices of lemon and parsley and then laid on a bed of sliced lemon and baked in the oven is difficult to beat for flavour and texture. You don't get the fish smell that way.

Sounds lovely, but takes some skill, time, timing, and washing up. Wheras you can't really go wrong with a pressure cooker - just chuck it all in with the veg, and you can't really overcook it or dry it up because its always kept moist in the steam. Its quicker and I guess its healthier too because there's no oil.

Cooking on gas you can reduce the heat as soon as the steam starts escaping. So I fail to understand why you think cooking in the oven produces less smell than in a almost totally sealed pressure cooker with a powerful extractor fan above it.

Peter, I haven't claimed that 'cooking in the oven produces less smell than cooking in a pressure cooker'. Others have said they would never cook fish in the van, I was merely pointing out that cooking in the oven doesn't create a smell as you have similarly pointed out using a pressure cooker.

I actually enjoy cooking in the van as it becomes a very social event so time is not important. Skill I don't have but am keen to learn. We do eat out but it's nice to have a glass (or two) of wine with a meal without worrying about driving.

Well I was up on the roof today getting my i-sat off for reprogramming, thought I'd take the opportunity to take some photo's and count the panels making up the roof. There is actually 12 panels make up the upper surface of the roof of my XLWB, I would guess the LWB and MWB has same, but SWB has 11. You might note looks like 'toni' had a bad day with the sealant gun.

765085876_Frontcorner.jpg.e8d639158183c8796597feb5bf2e18e6.jpg

798019489_Forwardhalf.jpg.f874dc600f20714551679420054ef549.jpg

Middle.jpg.1d032f323a706a8347decc4ea7771cf5.jpg

832436295_rearcorner.jpg.1931a0a179d2490d8b6dd1e22f9c1ef0.jpg

Guest Peter James
If its anything like the Toyotacar factory he probably does them all day every day and gets 30 secs to do each one. I heard they don't like employing guys over 25 years old, and don't hire anyone over 30 on the production line, because they can't run fast enough :-|

Peter James - 2014-02-05 11:54 AM

If its anything like the Toyotacar factory he probably does them all day every day and gets 30 secs to do each one. I heard they don't like employing guys over 25 years old, and don't hire anyone over 30 on the production line, because they can't run fast enough :-|

At a guess, i'd say the main seams are done by robot then Toni comes along and splodges on a few bits.

Archived