Help re 12volt electrics

takeaflight

lennyhb - 2014-01-27 7:34 PM

You need to have a look at what size cable feeds the lighting circuit and also check the fuse in the Elektroblock. If it is anything like my Hymer the cable is probably OK but it would be better to run the TV from a separate circuit.

Thanks, I have no wiring diagram so I think you are right, just hoping someone who knows the wiring would say no problems, would then be a very easy job.

Roy

docted - 2014-01-28 12:14 PM

Roy no specific knowledge of the model and year but Hymer usually provided a 12v socket in a cupboard designed for tv. Perhaps someone with relevant model info can help. :-D

Thanks you are right there is a socket provided, only I won't to move the tv and picking up 12volt from a light would be so much easier than trying to route a cable from the point provided.

Roy

You really do need to find out the size (cross sectional area) of the cabling for the lighting circuit and size of fuse it is fed by then work out total load on the circuit. Also as Eddie mentioned if you have florescent lights on the same circuit you may get interference,. There are suppressors available for florescent lights that may help if there is interference.

BrianBW - 2014-01-28 4:30 PM

Your TV takes 3 AMPS at 12 volts, so your cable should be capable at a minimum of 5Amp at 12volts. This cable is much thicker than one normally sees when checking the home TV at 230VAC. See what Halfords supply at that current/volts.

If connecting to the lighting circuit you also need to take into account the current the lights will draw. The cable should also be uprated by at least 50% as cables running at their max will get warm.

Thanks all, I was uncomfortable using the lighting circuit, so I have ran a fused connector from the leisure bats.

The original tv cabinet is above the fridge and designed for a CRT tv, we managed with this for over 5 years, however with age I can't sit there watch tv at an uncomfortable angle any more.

Roy

Archived