That lounge. Whats in a U shaped one?

Will86

Why do people keep on about wanting their M/H looking like a house with U shaped lounges? Get out and enjoy the surroundings and use the van for sleeping and eating.

Its a van for goodness sake not another space to clutter up with masses of toys, get out and experience life.

A couple of years ago we went to a CC site in Cornwall, most vans were parked around the toilets no doubt the owners were ashamed to use their own facilities.

I suppose its a showing off 'Mine is better than yours syndrome'.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an arrogant posting! Different strokes for different folks mate, some like to wander the hills and just eat and sleep in their camper van others want some home comforts and to LIVE in their motorhomes. Why can't you just accept that some people choose to live differently to you?

D.

U shaped lounge - dreadful thing that caravans have, no place for it in a Motorhome. It's a hangover from caravans, British manufacturers put an extra couple of wheels on a caravan add an engine then have the cheek to call it a Motorhome.

Motorhomes are designed for touring and the continentals design them as such and don't try to put stupid caravan layouts in them. (lol)

Sorry about that folks I thought it an interesting feature however I will disappear never to return Bye Bye.

There certainly are some stern folk on here who cannot see the humorous side of life

I obviously don't fit which bothers me nowt. Life is too short to be serious.

lennyhb - 2014-01-28 5:52 PM

U shaped lounge - dreadful thing that caravans have, no place for it in a Motorhome. It's a hangover from caravans, British manufacturers put an extra couple of wheels on a caravan add an engine then have the cheek to call it a Motorhome.

Motorhomes are designed for touring and the continentals design them as such and don't try to put stupid caravan layouts in them. (lol)

My Eura-Mobil had a U-shaped lounge

When we were looking for a new van ,one on the shortlist was a Dethleffs with a U-shaped rear lounge

and Hymer had some as well.

Think Dave's comment could apply to your post mate

HWO

I didn't understand the OP.

I was tempted to buy a Hymer B-class with U-shaped lounge on two occasions. All that put me off was the length was too much for our drive. The benefit was in having two single beds at the rear, a rear window, and comfy seating in the corners of the U.

Looks like Hymer have dropped this model for this year, presumably on the advice of Lenny. They to have a layout for almost everyone now.

Oh by the way, I am an ex-caravanner but never had a U-shaped lounge.

Will85 - 2014-01-28 5:07 PM

Why do people keep on about wanting their M/H looking like a house with U shaped lounges? Get out and enjoy the surroundings and use the van for sleeping and eating.

Its a van for goodness sake not another space to clutter up with masses of toys, get out and experience life.

A couple of years ago we went to a CC site in Cornwall, most vans were parked around the toilets no doubt the owners were ashamed to use their own facilities.

A large bed OR two good sized singles. >:-( who are you to dictate what people want ?. and what they can or cant have !!

How very interesting that some have to be so aggressive when replying to another's post.

This is an open forum where views are expressed relating to motor caravans, like or dislike one's view its still a personal view, provided it is not abusive or racist and in my opinion does not justify some of the comments as read.

A personal PM can be sent if aggression is the object of the chosen individual.

However I consider a view on U lounges is not abusive in any way either to those who have them or those who dislike them.

And I would certainly not tell others what to do. If the post is read and understood the question was WHY

Like all forms of life and interests motor caravan psychology is rated high. Its what sells the darned things !!

As said please accept my apologies if you were offended ... but over what ... a point of view !! come come that's a poor excuse.

We had U lounge in the last Dethleffs compact - the assumption that having that layout means you slob around all day is a bit ridiculous. I found it great for both days out here and longer stays on the continent, however bed making can get a bit tedious, but no different than inward facing settees - which are nowhere near as comfortable when relaxing.

Now have a 6 mt van with a French bed, BUT with an adjustable backrest to the half dinette, and front 'swivellers'

Not sure I would have been so keen to change if all could get was the bolt upright dinette on so many vans.

Ideally, I would have a nice compact Dethleffs A class with the rear U lounge and drop-down bed at the front......

I'll have you know my takeaway has got cold, my fags gone out and the beers gone flat whilst replying to this.........and I've missed half of the Jeremy Kyle show I taped earlier - so don't accuse anyone who's had a U lounge of being idle - I love the countryside, never missed an episode of Springwatch in my life :-D

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:15 PM

How very interesting that some have to be so aggressive when replying to another's post.

As you started with an aggressive post why shouldn't people reply in the same fashion? Or don't you consider 'telling' people that their preferred layout and lifestyle is wrong to be aggressive.

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:15 PM

This is an open forum where views are expressed relating to motor caravans, like or dislike one's view its still a personal view, provided it is not abusive or racist and in my opinion does not justify some of the comments as read.

A personal PM can be sent if aggression is the object of the chosen individual.

However I consider a view on U lounges is not abusive in any way either to those who have them or those who dislike them.

And I would certainly not tell others what to do. If the post is read and understood the question was WHY

Like all forms of life and interests motor caravan psychology is rated high. Its what sells the darned things !!

As said please accept my apologies if you were offended ... but over what ... a point of view !! come come that's a poor excuse.

Will, I think you're being slightly disingenuous. Your latest post suggests that all you were originally saying was "I don't like U-shaped lounges, what do other people think?", but having read it a few times, it definitely comes over as "U-shaped lounges are stupid and so is everyone who disagrees!". It seems I'm not alone.

The common theme is each to their own, with which I heartily agree.

Cheers,

Oh dear candapac ... another one making out I'm suggesting something I'm not.

And if you are in agreement with all the others then I've no chance of being understood.

I never imply anything I'm not that clever I shoot from the holster straight .. with no deviations whatever ... like or it or not that's how I am ... self made ... trained by military routine ... no gossip ... no sympathy ..,. fire

And please WHY Oh WHY the U lounge.

My original post is being distorted to mean something its not and that is very unfortunate so I doubt there is any more I can say in my defence. It was meant to be a serious question but has developed into something I choose not to be part of.

I'm a being of the 1920's and 30's and we didn't talk in a complicated manner then. Life was simple as we were also with no need whatever to insinuate anything other than fact.

I truly feel sorry for some of you if that's your style for the future but for me NO.

PS Then globebuster issues a statement and blames me for his comments

Will

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:55 PM

And please WHY Oh WHY the U lounge.

I haven't got a U lounge, and am very unlikely to want one, BUT, if people like them that's perfectly fine by me, they don't need to explain to me why they like them they just have to be happy with their own choice.

Will85 - 2014-01-28 8:01 PM

I'm a being of the 1920's and 30's and we didn't talk in a complicated manner then. Life was simple as we were also with no need whatever to insinuate anything other than fact.

Will

Just to prove an 'internet rule' correct.

The 20's and 30's! wasn't that when a intolerant chap came to the fore? now what was his name? You'll know it, didn't he start a world war or some such thing? :D

We've got a large lounge area, to veg in when weather is crap.

We've two large single beds ,which are a piece of piss to make up.

We don't have a quarter of the available space taken up by a french bed.

We tend to butterfly in our choices and are happy with this van now, next year

may be something quite different.

Will(Mrs T)..

Rather than trying to come over all " misunderstood", maybe you should just read you opening post again... *-)

People have only read, what you wrote...

If you feel it's been misinterpreted or it hasn't got your point over, then you should have written it clearer.. ;-)

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:55 PM

Oh dear candapac ... another one making out I'm suggesting something I'm not.

Not at all. I was simply saying how I interpreted your original post . It appears most people who have read it interpreted it in the same way.

If how we interpreted it was not what you meant by it, the problem would be with your use of language.

And as a being of the 1920's/1930's, I'm quite surprised at that. :D

Looks like Pepe got there first!

Sounds good gocro I will have to seek out that model for viewing.

And Colin, yes I was in the middle of it all Belson etc. It was life in the extreme and I can assure you that it affects one's thinking for ALL TIME. It took me 30 years to detatch myself from it and the I'm still very much addicted.

Such is life as we say.

pepe63 - 2014-01-28 8:24 PM

Will(Mrs T)..

Rather than trying to come over all " misunderstood", maybe you should just read you opening post again... *-)

People have only read, what you wrote...

If you feel it's been misinterpreted or it hasn't got your point over, then you should have written it clearer.. ;-)

well put pepe

to us u lounges are a no no, but we love our over cab fixed bed, again a no no for a lot posters. i don,t understand why people tow a car ,carravanning in reverse to me, but thats there choice, i suggest u review your and see if u should reveiw it

Archived