That lounge. Whats in a U shaped one?

Will86

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:55 PMOh dear candapac ... another one making out I'm suggesting something I'm not.And if you are in agreement with all the others then I've no chance of being understood.I never imply anything I'm not that clever I shoot from the holster straight .. with no deviations whatever ... like or it or not that's how I am ... self made ... trained by military routine ... no gossip ... no sympathy ..,. fireAnd please WHY Oh WHY the U lounge.

Sorry Will but shooting from the holster?  Looks like you forgot to swivel it and shot yourself in the foot from reading some of the replies.:-D   Did the military teach 'trick shooting' in your day? :-D (please accept in the intended vein.........humorously not a dig).

So why the U lounge.  We don't have one but my brother in law did.  It was good for relaxing of an evening after dinner, feet up reading, having a glass of red or three etc etc.  Simply nice for an evenings relaxing.  It's horses for courses really.  It's as simple as that....a matter of preference.

Yes people have the 'choice' of getting out and about but sometimes when it's 'persisting down' with liquid sunshine or blowing a gale the great outdoors isn't so inviting so somewhere to stretch out in comfort and watch the power of nature do it's thing is a nice option to have.

We are happy with our dinette as there's only the two of us.  With a few nicely overstuffed cushions it suits us just fine................like I said it's horses for courses.

You might just as well ask why people drive hundreds/thousands of miles to sunnier climes and proceed to put up awnings/sunshades, crank up the air conditioning, some complain it's too hot etc etc.  Why drive all that way to sit where you've blocked out the sun?  Why go to all the bother of traveling to warmer places to sit in the chilled air of your air conditioned unit?   The answer is simple......because some prefer it...some don't.  It's human nature Will.......it's called freedom of choice/preference.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will85 - 2014-01-28 5:07 PM

Why do people keep on about wanting their M/H looking like a house with U shaped lounges? Get out and enjoy the surroundings and use the van for sleeping and eating.

I don't see the connection between being comfortable in the van - and not going outside.

If you have a comfortable armchair in your house does it mean you don't go out in the garden ?.

(?)

p.s But possibly you only use your van - as you say others should - for sleeping and eating.

Not sitting down.

;-)

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:41 PM

Sorry Colin I don't recall actually telling anyone anything, I would never do that. MY interest is still why a U lounge that so many tend to seek.

It's simple, really, Will. It is because it suits them, and the way they choose to use their vans. 'Nuff said?

Well, at last I now understand the OP. Will wants to know about different perspectives of motorhoming, some people took offence because of the way it was phrased, and off we jolly well go again! I'm guessing Will is no wiser about motorhoming.

Will85 - 2014-01-28 7:15 PM

However I consider a view on U lounges is not abusive in any way either to those who have them or those who dislike them.

When you put finger to keyboard it important that you read what you have written. Not only did you pass a view on U lounges but I think Dave's reference to 'arrogance' stems from an attack on the people who choose to buy them. Please have a view on U lounges and tell us all about it. I'm interested in your comments but they have to be constructive not destructive if they are to be of any value.

Will85 - 2014-01-28 5:07 PM

Why do people keep on about wanting their M/H looking like a house with U shaped lounges? Get out and enjoy the surroundings and use the van for sleeping and eating.

Its a van for goodness sake not another space to clutter up with masses of toys, get out and experience life.

A couple of years ago we went to a CC site in Cornwall, most vans were parked around the toilets no doubt the owners were ashamed to use their own facilities.

I suppose its a showing off 'Mine is better than yours syndrome'.

Just read what you said!! IF I did have a ushaped lounge ! which I dont but did but dont now, and loved it, I would have thought YOU were having a pop.

I'm not being aggressive and I don't tell people what they should have and what they should do with it!! there is too much of it going on here. People buy their motor-homes to get out in the fresh air, and if people camp around the toilet block its probably that there was space there! but who cares? you evidently.

I have the answer,have a dog,then no matter how comfy your space is the little buggers still want to go out even if its minus 5 and blowing a gale,you get to enjoy nature whether you want to or not.As for u shaped lounge,dont care one way or another,rip it all out and put down beanbags if tbats your thing lol,we all have different ways,thats what makes us interesting

With all due respect to Will85, I think we perhaps have to take some of his postings with a *cough*..pinch of salt.. ;-)

After all, the "..it's a van for goodness sake.." and .."Mine is better than yours syndrome.." etc comments/jibes, come from the bloke who used to have a Rapido 987M..which was probably more comfortable and house-like than many vans out there(..or houses, for that matter!)

..and even now, with his new VWT5 Bilbo Nexa, he's hardly "roughing it" and motorhoming on a shoestring... ;-)

We have a 6 meter van with rear a lounge,,its what we like nice to relax in after a day of riding the bikes ,had new cushions made for the corners for extra comfort.We store the bedding in over cab and have timed how long it takes to make up bed 3 minutes .Tried out many vans in dealerships not found anything that WE LIKE better.Can sit 6 people round table in rear lounge .

Once in France we had a look round a Stardream with side seats would have change to that van ,if money had allowed

Some folks like to relax 'in comfort' when it's 'Hissing doone' outside, which it often does, wherever you are. Some folks like to tow a small car as a runabout. Not all of us are able to ride bikes, and the reason we do that, Rather than 'go' for a caravan, is that to tow a caravan you need a large powerful car or a 4x4 which, when used ALL the time has an astronomical running cost, we run a small economical car ALL the time, Then Tow it with our Motorhome when we are away. Job done.

Why? are there so many 'judgemental' (sorry Judge) people about, who can never understand other folks 'Point of view' if it doesn't conform to exactly the way 'they' do things.

Thank Goodness that there is a 'Wide Range' of differant layouts, for ALL types of people. And we don't ALL have to conform, to anyone else's 'Vision' of how Motorhoming SHOULD be.

Lounger's, Slobber's, A-Framer's, Hiker's, Biker's and even Vintage Motor Cyclist's Room for All. ;-) ;-)

Ray

We have a U shaped lounge in our AT Scout which works very well with the front dinette.

Previous van (Burstner) had a fixed bed over garage. We use the van as much if not more in the winter months than summer so spend a fair few long cold evenings in the comfort of the rear lounge.

Wouldn't change back now

Will85 - 2014-01-29 9:10 PM

Being an active member the U lounge is a not my preferred shape, although Mrs H now in the early and progressive stages of Alzheimer’s would contradict me.

Kind regards again.

This statement is even dafter than the first! "Being an Acrive member". Have I misunderstood or are you saying that U shaped lounges are for the less active? Thats strange because I consider myself active and have a U shaped lounge. I have a boat in the van so go rowing for miles down lakes and rivers, climb mountains, go cycling and fly about all over the place on our scooter. After that lot what do I want to do? Sit bolt upright in a Dinette with hardly any space (we have a dinette as well as a U shaped lounge so I could I suppose) or lounge around in the back lounge with my feet up? Hmm. tough choice.

As for continental vans having front lounges and fixed beds because Johnny foreigner likes to spend all his time outside what a load of bollox. The French and most other europeans spend more time sat inside watching TV than we do!

Most fixed beds I have seen are tiny. You could hold a Roman orgy on our Kontiki rear lounge bed if you could find some Romans.

I dont get it really. Why would anyone want anything else?

Guest JudgeMental
Unbelievable thread, no wonder people hesitant to post on here........Dear old Will is a fair old age, give him a break for heavens sake!

My last (first) van had a U shaped lounge, I specifically looked for one as I'd had a caravan years ago with a U shaped lounge and loved it. However, motorhomes and caravans are very different creatures. I hated having to make up the bed - the over cab was only big enough for a child. My current van has a large overcab, a very comfortable fixed bed and side facing couches and captains chairs, not as comfortable to lounge in as the end lounge but not too bad.

Due to work commitments I can only get long weekends away with one week long break each year, so we only travel around the UK, and with our unpredictable weather, comfort is essential in a van.

I would like to point out to a few people on here that there is a difference between having an opinion and being opinionated.

My last (first) van had a U shaped lounge, I specifically looked for one as I'd had a caravan years ago with a U shaped lounge and loved it. However, motorhomes and caravans are very different creatures. I hated having to make up the bed - the over cab was only big enough for a child. My current van has a large overcab, a very comfortable fixed bed and side facing couches and captains chairs, not as comfortable to lounge in as the end lounge but not too bad.

Due to work commitments I can only get long weekends away with one week long break each year, so we only travel around the UK, and with our unpredictable weather, comfort is essential in a van.

I would like to point out to a few people on here that there is a difference between having an opinion and being opinionated.

JudgeMental - 2014-01-30 7:41 AM

Unbelievable thread, no wonder people hesitant to post on here........Dear old Will is a fair old age, give him a break for heavens sake!

I have to agree with the judge :-D we all say things we wish we hadn't started, but at least nobody has said anything nasty !! for a change (lol) we have just given our opinion back, and healthy discussion is always good ;-) it keeps us older ones on our toes.

pepe63 - 2014-01-29 1:53 PM

Sorry folks..Off Topic this bit...

Ray...

Did you get yourself sorted with an A frame in the end then...?

..and if so, which did you opt for?...

I know you've been toying with the idea for a while......

Yes, bought a used (2011) Car-a-Tow frame off of E-bay £150 , getting the car converted in Feb. that is the most expensive bit, £400, after the cost of getting an 'approved' Towbar fitted to the van. All in still cheaper than a Trailer, even a second hand one.

I couldn't use a Trailer anyway as the Savannah didn't have enough load margin.

Still havn't tried it out obviously, but looking foward to it. I have hired cars quite a few times, Enterprise every time, they are good, and very cheap at weekends, but can be a 'faff'.

Ray

We have had in our time most layouts including U shaped lounge and to be honest when we had each layout we found they met our needs at the time. Would not go back to U shaped as we like fixed bed but also like space to lounge hence our present van with fixed rear bed plus half dinette, side settee and swival front seats. This of course explains why we have a large coach built for the two of us, but also means we can take our grandchildren for weekends as well. So layout is all about what you want to do at a particular time and what suits you so no right or wrong and no direct answer to original question. Main thing however, we think is not layout or base unit but using van as you like. As you all know we prefer France but others prefer say Spain or Italy and who are we to "Judge" them to be wrong!

Archived