X250 Panel Van - Getting Solar Cable to nearside rear bunk

arthur49

Waiting for our new van to be delivered - Devon Aztec LWB - and disappointed that factory cost to supply and fit solar panel of unknown type and size will be £600.

Solar panels have fallen considerably in price - 120w effort from Sunstore about £150 - so looking to retro fit myself.

BUT I had a struggle with current PVC an Autocruise Rhythm, getting cable from/through roof to offside bunk. Came in via wardrobe, behind compressor fridge, and along floor into offside bunk. Phew.

This time I don't have the luxury of the wardrobe to get cable inside as its on opposite side and further forward than nearside bunk, where leisure batteries will be located.

So, looking at nearside rear corner where there is a 'pillar' with access hatch from inside van. Has anyone attempted drilling through roof into that 'pillar' as I'm contemplating that route?

Arthur

arthur49 - 2014-01-28 6:17 PM

Waiting for our new van to be delivered - Devon Aztec LWB - and disappointed that factory cost to supply and fit solar panel of unknown type and size will be £600.

Solar panels have fallen considerably in price - 120w effort from Sunstore about £150 - so looking to retro fit myself.

BUT I had a struggle with current PVC an Autocruise Rhythm, getting cable from/through roof to offside bunk. Came in via wardrobe, behind compressor fridge, and along floor into offside bunk. Phew.

This time I don't have the luxury of the wardrobe to get cable inside as its on opposite side and further forward than nearside bunk, where leisure batteries will be located.

So, looking at nearside rear corner where there is a 'pillar' with access hatch from inside van. Has anyone attempted drilling through roof into that 'pillar' as I'm contemplating that route?

Arthur

Can't you ask Devon to install the cable during the build?

When we installed our rear view camera I took the cables through next to the high level reversing light into the hollow framework there, I removed the covering on the inside and then was able to slot the cables along to the rear corner, again removing the covering, then fed it down that way, so I can't see a problem with you doing something similar. :-D

I think the main problem in coming through the roof in the area you suggest is the camber of the roof at that point and the success with which a cable entry point could be seated and sealed. I've used the same corner to route a camera cable and with a little patience it's relatively easy to do but the camera cable went under the vehicle and up to the brake light. Knowing that the Aztec has overhead lockers in the area one wonders whether it would be wise to run into the rear locker and then across into the corner. This would allow you to operate on a flat area of the roof and would possibly be a little less visible.

I agree with you about the price being asked for solar panel kit to be installed. You can have them retro-fitted for much less than the cost of installing them at the time of build. Something is definitely wrong there. I shall be doing the same as you in the not too distant future so interested in how you get on.

Many thanks for input. Interested that others have attempted the route I've suggested.

I have asked Devon (via dealer Todds of Preston) if they will install a cable at build to prevent disruption to lockers/panels etc and await response but Todds can be SLOW I've found ...........!

Arthur

Archived