Advertising help wanted

Syd

I have a good friend who is the International Project Manager for a pretty large hospital group based in Spain.(Alicante)

She wishes to run an advertising campaign in the UK for patients to go to their hospital group for various treatments such as the cosmetic type operations and of course other medical work.

The treatment package for operations is a complete package including collection and delivery to and from the airport, a choice of at least three top hotels, meals and so on.

I believe the average cost of each package is around £5,000

Today she has asked me for advice on which newspapers, magazines etc she should place the adverts in.

All I can think of is the Daily Mail on a Wednesday.

Anyone able to help me out a bit please

Guest Had Enough

She should employ a good advertising agency. They would discuss her annual budget, her client demographics and the type of service she's offering.

With that information they will know the best mediums to use. Newspapers may be the wrong medium with a combination of lifestyle magazines and a website far better at reaching the right people.

Agents can also buy advertising space for much less than private individuals or single firms and can devise attractive campaigns with eye-catching copy.

She would, in my opinion, be foolish to try to choose the best route for her budget without consulting experts in the field.

+A couple of points that may, or may not be relevant.

I assume that it is a private hospital as i would not expect a Spanish State hospital to be advertising in the UK. Maybe they do accept private patients, that I do not know but they are getting very strict about who they will treat nowadays, as one would hope, are we.

I am also curious that the enquiry should be in what can only be described as a very amateur method. A big hospital will have local Spanish agencies who can easily contact partner agencies in the UK and dare I suggest a Project Manager should know that. To have enquiries for such a matter placed on a Motorhome Forum does appear slightly 'rum'. I do accept that the OP may just be trying to help but...................?

As for newpapers, all the titles mentioned are freely on sale in Spain so why not just contact them direct. Reading them will soon ascertain the 'market' each is directed at.

I accept I am an old cynic.

Hi Dave

Why be so critical of someone for sounding out the water on a project before commencing the work.

Seemingly amateur possibly but her approach was not in a professional capacity it was simply made in a passing conversation, but as you said you know virtually nothing about what is wanted by her other than she was asking for general advice which is obviously beyond you to willingly give.

She is aware that things differ country to country and that was the reason behind the mention.

Who said that she did not know anything about what she is planning

Rather than willingly offer the girl some help you have to make up some silly criticism which I have noticed in the past is what you are best at,

It is funny but deep down I was hoping against hope that you wouldn't pick this up because I just knew the only type of answer you are capable of, but alas here we go.

Please Dave in future do me a favour and don't contribute to any of my threads again and I will avoid yours

Thanks again HE and also many thanks to Clive too for your PM, your answers have helped her to open up a whole host of new possibilities.

Guest pelmetman
Syd - 2014-01-29 8:54 PM

Hi Dave

Why be so critical of someone for sounding out the water on a project before commencing the work.

Seemingly amateur possibly but her approach was not in a professional capacity it was simply made in a passing conversation, but as you said you know virtually nothing about what is wanted by her other than she was asking for general advice which is obviously beyond you to willingly give.

She is aware that things differ country to country and that was the reason behind the mention.

Rather than willingly offer the girl some help you have to make up some silly criticism which I have noticed in the past is what you are best at,

It is funny but deep down I was hoping against hope that you wouldn't pick this up because I just knew the only type of answer you are capable of, but alas here we go.

Please Dave in future do me a favour and don't contribute to any of my threads again and I will avoid yours

Thanks again HE and also many thanks to Clive too for your PM, your answers have helped her to open up a whole host of new possibilities.

Naturally your entitled to your view Syd...............but I've paid 1000's for my experience of advertising agencies 8-)...............

I tend to agree slightly with Dave.......Reading the OP which said she is the:

International Project Manager for a pretty large hospital group...........

..........and she is asking for advice on where to advertise seems somewhat strange to me.  It might have been a conversational comment but it reads as though she was asking for information.  Surely as an 'International' Project Manager she should be well versed in this sort of practice.  If not then......???

This is not intended to be argumentative Syd, merely trying to illustrate how others have read your post.

Syd - 2014-01-29 8:54 PM

Hi Dave

Oh dear, I do apologise if I have ruffled your feathers, it was not my intention. I could also make some comment regarding 'having Weetabix' in the morning but you would probably jump down my throat for that as well. Actually I rarely look at who has authored a Post, merely the content and if things about it strike me as odd, then I question it.

I would hope you would admit that asking advice for the advertising of a European hospital is not what one would first consider as a Post on a Motorhome Forum, plus I am also just a bit concerned about it from both our side and the Spanish side. i have this picture of the Project Manager sitting at her next Meeting with colleagues and telling them she has all the information they need. No doubt she would be asked where she found it, and to state that it was from a Motorhome Chat Forum, I suspect would raise an eyebrow or 2. I suspect that if i was sitting there I would be expecting to hear responses from the General Medical Council or even the editor of Lancet.Plus I am sure they have many contacts with the medical profession here who could offer appropriate advice. From the Uk side it is not as if there have not been instances in the past of basically botched operations being done at overseas clinics and although i am sure there are no questions regarding this one, I would prefer this to be left to the professionals. The recent breast implant scandal is just one that comes to mind. When medicine and money become intermixed I fully admit to getting a tad nervous.

Anyway, to give you peace of mind I have noted your Username on my 'desktop' and will try to avoid upsetting you again.

Spain actually has a very good reputation for medical care. So much so that Spain suffers from medical tourism as much if not more than we in the UK do.

My own GP when talking about relatively minor procedures in particular can often be heard saying that his patients get better treatment on the other side of the channel and that they would be better off getting on a ferry rather than waiting here.

Such elective procedures via the private sector in Spain are already promoted here

Just one example:-

http://www.medic8.com/medical-tourism/country/spain.html

Archived