Bank account in France

Archiesgrandad

Later this year we shall be moving to live in France,and more pressingly we are off for a few days next week to go and sort things out with builders and the like who are promising to help us fulfill our dreams in exchange for money.

We have not yet opened our French bank account, we decided to wait until we could sort out a bank near to us in the Lot region, and are planning to do that next week.

With the incredible knowledge that floats around this forum, we wondered if anyone was aware of any of the French banks that might have a facility to enable us to communicate with them in English, because whilst we are working hard to get our French communication up to speed, which is alright to order a beer, or a kilo of spuds, it would be comforting to be able to discuss the really important things in life in a language that I have been practicing for some time.

Many thanks

AGD

Britline a branch of Credit Agricole based in Normandie have phone lines with English speaking staff.

Start to apply now as there are reams of paper work and loads of hoops to jump through to satisfy the French bureaucracy, for example evidence of travel to France regularly, your bank manager endorsing at least 3 items of id. It took us around 6 weeks of paper chasing before our account was in place.

I'd give Credit Agricole a thumbs-up too

We have had an account with them for over 10 years, no problems - seldom use the British helpline though.

We also insure our property through them, and suffered some severe 'inondation' over the Christmas period - again they have been most helpful and efficient throughout the whole saga, in fact our French neighbour is acting as our 'middleman' with them.

I have kept bank accounts since I worked in France 1992-1996, originally with Credit Agricole. The bank had links then to the Co-op in the UK at that time and they had staff who spoke english. I was very pleased with their service but later changed to the Banque Populaire as it had a branch closer to where I was living.

Banking in France is not always free as UK, the Banque Populaire has a current account that can be topped up automatically from a savings account, hence no overdraft requirements. This is something that I think the UK banks should adopt, but then they would lose out on their high interest from overdrafts.

Note, it is illegal to write a cheque that will bounce!

I use a French debit card for our travels in Europe, easy when the countries use the Euro so no exchange rate problems, budgeting is easier.

The bank often sends free invitations to concerts and festivities but unfortunately we can seldom use them.

The banks seem to be run as they were in the UK 30 or more years ago, with invitation to meet staff and bank managers, very sociable banking, also staff stay in branches for years so a rapport can be generated with them on a personal level, you are not just an account number.

We had a CA Britline account http://tinyurl.com/2uaw6l5 for several years from 2003, but it wasn't as complicated to set up as Gordon found his. Times change!

We had a credit card (carte bancaire) but there was a monthly fee.

Cheques are as good as cash in France because, as said above, if one bounces you're for the high jump! Be aware that you can't use the cheques outside France, even though they are drawn in €, unless the payee has a French account (some traders in bordering countries, mainly I think Belgium, have French accounts because they have many French clients).

Foreign payments by credit card are as with a UK card.

Britline were easy to deal with and the account worked well.

You do, of course, have to pay a fee to transfer funds from your UK account, though CA's fee in the reverse direction is kinder! It may be worth you going into the details somewhat, because the fee varies in bands according to the amount transferred, and there are optimal amounts that take best advantage of the charge.

You may wish to look at a bank that will offer you an 'International Account' . This means that although you have an account you are not yet under the French tax system etc. Check the internet for the various banks as many EU banks do offer English servicies. Even the French have to participate sometimes. It will allow you to keep control at arm's length so to speak. Once you are settled then talk with the local people as to which bank offers the best service. Also beware the French tax system as it is notorious and as often been compared to the Inquisition, but more painfull. Remember the French tax you on everything even accounts held in other countries. I also assume you are cutting all ties with the UK and declaring yourself non resident, again take advice from an accountant to ensure this benefits you. I assume you are planning on never returning to the UK or again check carefully the rules and regulations.

Apart from that, enjoy the move.

I've been out here now for seven years and started banking with C-A as soon as we moved over to start our build, though we kept and still keep our UK accounts.

I have always received a great service, especially in that first year when you need to insure your property, car WHY, although I have never taken advantage of their Britline service so can not comment. they will find you an English speaking contact, a lot of their staff especially in Anglo rich areas speak English. what will come as a shock to you though is the level of bank charges p.a. Never confuse a Carte Bancaire with a Credit card tho' its strictly a Debit card.

I investigated an International account but found it less convenient my branch of C-A is within a couple of miles and the so called 'International' wasn't within a days drive, not so good if you need to pose a question, I always find it easier face to face rather than rely on my pigeon franglais over the phone.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be late, but only just seen this topic.

When we came to live in France 9 years ago I opened an account at the local Banque Populaire. They charge for absolutely everything, internet banking, payment card and anything else they can think of. You also have to visit the bank to arrange payments etc as the website is useless.

I eventually looked for a cheaper alternative.

2 years ago I changed to ING Direct France who do everything by internet, don't charge for anything, provide Gold Mastercards with free travel insurance and even give someone you introduce 80€ for joining. ( they also would give the person doing the introduction 80€ as well).

I also changed all our insurers and saved about 50% on the premiums, most actually insured by Allianz, one of the biggest insurers in the EU, but arranged online through different brokers.

Anyone interested in any of these feel free to send me a pm.

Archived