Motorhoming - What is the secret?

Red Robbo

Hi from a rather confused newbie, please bear with me whilst I set the scene.

We have been caravanners for a number of years but once we took early retirement in 2011 we decided to buy a motorhome with the intention of touring Europe and spending winters in Spain where it was warmer.

We bought a secondhand Elddis Autoquest 155 (2011) in October 2012 and had a few trips in England where we stayed on sites or CLs and in Scotland where we wild camped. However we did experience problems finding places to park in towns and cities and in Lincoln we actually ended up in a Tesco car park (with the kind permission of the Manager) but we could only stay for the 2 hour limit.

We then took off to France for a month in June 2013. Although we had a great time in France staying on Aires and felt perfectly safe some of the Brits we met put us off traveling in Spain telling us about burglaries and getting tyres shot at.

We would have liked to tour more around the UK but parking seems to be a big problem and as we were frightened off Spain we reluctantly sold our van in August 2013 (at a great loss I may add).

I think we are now regretting that decision so could I please ask:-

1. We see lots of motorhomes whilst travelling around the UK in our caravan - where do you all park up when visiting different areas? - how do you get around the parking problems? We are happy to park at sites overnight but for during the day not everywhere is covered by cycling routes and Husband is not good on buses. What do you do!

2. Is it really that bad in Spain? Any tips for a couple of scaredy cats.

3. Any suggestions for a second hand van (2-3 years old) that is 6.5 metres or less that either has 2 long bench seats we can use as singles and an end kitchen or a u-shaped lounge big enough to use as singles.

I would really appreciate a response to try and understand why and how others are fully enjoying this pastime.

When visiting places, we plan to cycle, walk, buses or trains. Or cheat and meet up with friends who have cars available. >:-)

Sometimes we visit places that we can take the van to such as the cities with park and rides. Again planned in advance so we know we can park.

The smaller the van you can get will mean more places you can visit, if you can get a van conversion you can get into an awful lot of car parks.

As long as you take normal precautions Spain is OK, plenty of Brits spend the winter there without any problems.

The UK like quite a few of us on this forum we have virtually given up on the UK apart from a few festivals where camping fields are provided and the odd weekend on CL/CS & forest site.

You might want to look at Brit Stops they offer free overnight parking at Pubs, Garden Centres, Farm shops etc.

Enjoying motorhoming??? As tugger that is Phoooee!

Seriously we had a motorhome and sold it due to moving abroad for a number of years. However, we enjoyed it very much and toured Europe a lot. As it was a large coachbuilt we found that we had to pick sites carefully as we did not wish to use it as a vehicle while camped. By the way we had 2 kids so scooters were out for us. From that point of view I envied my fellow caravanners who could drive away anytime.

When we retired back to the UK we looked at motorhomes but picked a caravan as we had moved house and did not have a driveway anymore, so if the thing had to be stored, we might as well have a car as well. Again, as a result of being retired driving for miles and days on end has less of an appeal so the caravan where we set it up for a long period on a site, comes into tis own. We can attach a large awning and double our living space. Many of the motorhomers we meet in Spain have motorscooters and the Germans etc all pull Smartcars behind them to use as runabouts.

I do not feel Spain is any less safe than anywhere else as long as you take reasonable precautions and wildcamping is not something we would go for. I like the security of a campsite and if I wish to go 'skinnydipping' at midnight, well I can just use the car to get to the beach. Honestly the UK is far more dangerous especially for theft.

You have aa couple of options as I see it.

Maybetravel with another motorhome to give you a bit of piece of mind or find good sites and stick to them.

By the way, caravans will almost always beat motorhomes for lounging space unless you have a UK model with 2 side facing settees behind the cab. If you want that and a fixed bed then you are into the large size motorhome whereas a caravan will offer the same in a much shorter length.

If you do decide to get another motorhome then be careful regarding length. Many sites have length limits as the pitches are usually 100-120 sq meters in size and about 7 meters length is the maximum. Also especially in Europe access roads can be narrow and have right angle corners but once you have found the sites you like then no problems.

Hi and welcome

On your problems in this country. No it is not easy to park in most towns,some Park and rides have spaces just for us, some have barriers that won't let us in ,some where the staff will open the barrier for us, and even some that we can rest our head for the night.

If you want to park in town mabe you could get away with a tin box?

Then it may be a little easier.

You realy need to talk your other half into using the buses. You can all over the place on them.pick your site and you do'nt need to move your van wether it is 2days or 2weeks you want to stay.

I noticed you mentioned early retirement so you probably not get your bus passes yet, but when they come they are very useful.

The wonderful internet is there to use and all the information for transport is out there.

So with a bit of planning for public transport, walking, biking and sometimes moving the van we can go most places that we want to go in this country.

I am not being nasty but you could be more suited to a caravan and car instead of a motorhome

All the best

HWO

Guest JudgeMental

Cant help as no interest in expensive (compared to european) UK vans..especially those that think they're a caravan :D

Spain is fine! as long as you take precautions/don't put on your silly holiday head etc..etc...(there are other countries to visit)its a great winter getaway..with happy suntanned old folk everywhere. it was 20deg C in benidorm last weekend. A big subject and covered to death on here, have a delve into the "search" facility for old threads, and read away..then when you have narrowed it down to some specific questions most will be delighted to help.

Here most just book a site and stay there and venture out on bike or public transport. probably the most unfriendly country for motorhoming going, hence the popularity of caravans..and why we never holiday here as only 1.5 hrs from dover ;-)

We never travel in the uk for all the same reasons others have stated. Contrary to all the scare stories we have never had a problem in Spain, I suspect its still a safer country than our own. Much easier parking abroad in towns but we've decided electric bikes are the way to go for more flexibility.

We have a 6m coachbuilt motorhome with twin side couches and tour extensively in it both in the UK and Europe. In this country we look for a car park where you can back over a grass verge or similar, a 6m van can fit ok. and this has not given us a problem. Some places, Bude, Burnham on Sea, Tintagel, Weston Super Mare, Sidmouth for example do provide long spaces for motorhomes. The posher towns Wells for example can be more difficult and it is easier to leave the van on site and get a bus. During a recent tour of Scotland we found plenty of parking spaces most of which were free. We have a simple rule, if we can't park we take our money somewhere else. Europe is generally no problem. So look for a van no more than 6m (there are several) and look for a spot in the quietest part of the car park and if you see the the ticket man just ask politely. Don't be put off enjoy the experience.

RedRob,

Welcome. 1. Daytime parking. Our visits are mostly planned to attend Vehicle Rallies or associated events that provide a two or three day interest with ample parking- and there are many of them - Where possible we tend to use sites that have a bus route close by - unfortunately not your chosen transport.

Other large vehicle parking spaces are NT properties. Occasionally if we admire a scenic view we try to park some distance away and usually at the rear of any others as we are larger.. Our visits to towns are rare, when its of necessity we always park a distance away and walk in.

We have used a hotel car park, a pub car park, and a rail station but ensure the various control signs are read carefully and possibly ask first.

We have even parked in an industrial area and used taxis, anything is possible. My view is that I gain more from the exercise than admiring the view.

We travelled all the touristy bits with a motorcycle years ago so are less likely to re-visit them now.

Spain. 2. We are not keen on Spain or the sun so can offer no comments.

Suggestions for a S/H van. 3. Sorry on that one also. We have only ever bought new ones.

Comment. We lived in a caravan for 3 years and holidayed in them but never toured with one, Our choice of a M/H was the mobility aspect and the parking at home. We have owned and hired both large and small. The large types are restrictive in that one is confined to particular areas of interest. The small can be cramped but are more versatile and that is what we have now ... Why ... The large van at 6.5 Mts was not used enough whereas a smaller type is also an everyday shopping waggon.

PS. We travelled all the European countries some years ago and it was fine. I could drive all day then without a thought. Right now the UK suits us very well, short journeys are the norm.

PPS There are many opinions on where NOT to use the M/H as can be seen already. This view has always existed, its the 'foreign bit and language difference' that that excites the brain. 'Over there' is of course 30 times and more larger but like anywhere popular there are restrictions.

Enjoy what ever you decide, it matters not what others choose. Just thought we stay at home in the peak periods and school holiday times.

There is no doubt that sometimes parking even a PVC can be a challenge in the UK, but then it's not always straight forward in other countries, it's just the UK seems worse. Many councils seem intent on driving custom away, one of our local councils seems to be heading down this route due to the railway station having inadequate/expensive parking.

Many car parks are no go areas for vans, although graham's site did give info on 'friendly parking' (link anyone?) We mainly use on street parking for long periods (restrictions allowing) and supermarket or retail outlet parking for up to 2hrs, as these often have time limits which are policed by camera in/out so are just time limited. but do check any signs just in case they have jobs worth attendants.

Hi sorry to hear you sold your 155. Bought ours New in November 2011 following an offer we

couldn't refuse on our elddis 120.

We always plan our trips using ukcampsite and caravan club websites and its amazing how many

sites you can find with nearby public transport or cycle routes including cities such as london & Edinburgh.

Maybe an elddis 140 would suit you if you're happy with the brand ?

We have a 8m motorhome and not really had too many problems finding somewhere to park although we do generally take the opportunity to walk, cycle and use public transport and it does very much depend on your destination. Supermarket and retail parks are a favourite although like you say the time limits with cameras on the entry and exit points are increasing becoming a problem (but I have found a solution to that ;-) )

We are new to motorhoming and have found this site helpful for planning trips. http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/

We mostly visit country places so we can walk our dogs. As has been mentioned National Trust car parks are good, also RSPB. I usually check out locations with Google maps satellite view and Street View to check for height barriers. Planning seems to be the key.

Hiya we've sold our van now but used to plan a little ahead and find sites near public transport routes which made a nice change to travel on the bus as my husband actually got to look at scenery as we travelled:which he can't normally do when driving ,plus you can have a drink if you want:ours was 8.7 m and not all cc sites would take that length but there was plenty of others that did:.....i miss all that planning etc but heyho that's life :I've been looking on eBay and there's a lovely red iH .pp

Pampam - 2014-01-30 10:14 PM

I've been looking on eBay and there's a lovely red iH .pp

Go for it Pam, they are great 'vans! Was this it? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUCATO-IH-SAVANNAH-GOLD-CAMPER-VAN-MOTOR-HOME-/150682218931

If so, I hope that you put in the winning bid!

There are more here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=ih+motorhome&_sac=1

Cheers,

Colin.

My oh my what a great bunch of people you are taking the time to respond.

I thought there must be a secret to parking in the UK but it appears not. We love walking and cycling so maybe it's as you suggest planning ahead and taking your custom elsewhere if you can't get parked. That does seem to take the spontaneity out of touring but hey how life is a compromise.

As we are new to this site we will take your advice and look for previous threads on Spain.

We have been looking at the Elddis 140 as we couldn't fault the 155 it was just a bit long for me, husband had no trouble as ex lorry driver!

We are not too keen on European vans as we don't like the dinette set up as we prefer to lounge on the seats especially this time of year in the cold dark nights.

Any suggestions therefore on Uk vans less than 6.5m with a u shaped lounge or two long side seats would be much appreciated.

Thanks for all the comments so far.

Before you buy, ask yourselves how you want to use your van. Car parks are car parks, not motorhome parks, so if you want to get into town or even village centres in much of England, you will find a large vehicle difficult to park. If that is your main requirement, you may find a compact van conversion will work best for you.

If you want maximum ease of access, a VW Transporter conversion with a rising roof will probably give the best solution, as they will (just!) go under many height barriers. However, they are small and do not provide spacious lounge areas.

If you are prepared to sacrifice some accessibility with your van, go up a size to the Transit/Sprinter/Ducato type vans. If you stick to max 6.0 metres long you should still just squeeze into most car park spaces, but won't get under any but a few height barriers. You will still find lounge space restricted, though.

If you are prepared to pre-plan your trips and walk, cycle, or use public transport, larger coachbuilt vans should not prove difficult, but many UK town and village centre parking areas (plus quite a few abroad) will be out of bounds.

What will suit you best will also depend on the kinds of places you wish to visit. If you just want the seaside, or mountains and moorland, or cultural heritage, in UK or abroad, differing vans will tend to make life easier. If you want the whole mix something will have to give, as the Tardis has not yet been invented! All vans are a compromise and it just seems you didn't get the right compromise for your needs with your first purchase. You are not alone! Take your time, do your thinking first, don't expect too much from what you get, and you won't be disappointed.

We never plan ahead for parking, just head for a area we want to visit then see where we can park. whilst this might cause problems at such places as Cambridge park and ride who only allow vans in one car park, we don't want to spend hours trying to search put parking online.

Red Robbo - 2014-01-31 1:04 PM

My oh my what a great bunch of people you are taking the time to respond.

I thought there must be a secret to parking in the UK but it appears not. We love walking and cycling so maybe it's as you suggest planning ahead and taking your custom elsewhere if you can't get parked. That does seem to take the spontaneity out of touring but hey how life is a compromise.

As we are new to this site we will take your advice and look for previous threads on Spain.

We have been looking at the Elddis 140 as we couldn't fault the 155 it was just a bit long for me, husband had no trouble as ex lorry driver!

We are not too keen on European vans as we don't like the dinette set up as we prefer to lounge on the seats especially this time of year in the cold dark nights.

Any suggestions therefore on Uk vans less than 6.5m with a u shaped lounge or two long side seats would be much appreciated.

Our van is 7.6 metres, so we also find some car parks a challenge, This year I have bought an A-Frame, which I intend to use to tow our car (a Toyota Yaris) we used to caravan, but found the cost of running a large car or 4x4 (to tow the caravan) all the time, too high. So . This is 'our' solution to the 'height barrier' epidemic which seems to be sweeping the country. We have had 3 motorhomes since the caravan, from just over 5 metres, up to our present van, which we bought New and has everything we need.

You will hear that A-Frames 'defeat the reason for having a motorhome' I dispute that, of course.

They are a 'grey area' legality-wise in the rest of Europe, but as we tour mainly in the UK that doesn't bother us too much. Safety wise they are perfectly ok, and are used in the USA almost uniformly.

I don't have the load capacity to 'Trailer' the Yaris, otherwise I would have got a trailer. (for Europe).

Of course you can Cycle, Electric Cycle, or even Scooter (none suitable for us).

We too like Single beds, and UK type layouts. With the 'Hab' door on the 'Correct' side.

Good luck on your 'Hunt'.

Ray

Red Robbo - 2014-01-31 1:04 PM

We are Panel Van enthusiasts( like the Judge -- although it was not always so with him! ) R.R., -- which may not be your 'cup of tea' as you were previously caravanners and your Elddis appears to have been a BIG caravan with a cab on the front! By a notable maker of caravans anyway.

But -- how about one of these? http://www.webbsmotorcaravans.co.uk/motorcaravanDetails.php?ID=2040

Only six metres long, will go into most car park spaces, (except those with height restrictions - grr!) is much more manouverable than a coachbuilt 'van and has two long side seats. Might be a bit cramped if you want stay for several weeks in Spain however.

It all depends on your holiday 'lifestyle' really doesn't it?

I have no idea of your price range of course, but there are more of these sort around at various prices.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers,

Colin.

We try and avoid taking the motorhome off site where possible though there are some sites where we do. We look for sites with good walks with the dog from the site, possible access to shops within walking distance and good public transport especially busses where we can use our bus passes. Over the years we have kept a list of sites with appropriate comments and a note of how long we want to stay. Cromer in Norfolk rates a 7 day stay because we have a relatives there and the frequent cost hopper bus service enables us to spend days out further down the coast. We often walk to a nearby town and take the bus back with the shopping.

As we travel about we tend to be away for around 4 to 6 weeks at a time and we try to keep the trips between sites to less than 150 miles. On the way say to Scotland we will make 2 day stops at sites that are new to us to suss them out for future stays.

On the way between destinations we use the internet to identify big supermarkets were we can stop and stock up on supplies. We have never had a problem parking when doing this. Wife does the shopping whilst I stay with the motorhome and the dog. Suites me just fine!

Archived