Motorhoming - What is the secret?

Red Robbo

colin - 2014-01-31 2:19 PM

We never plan ahead for parking, just head for a area we want to visit then see where we can park. whilst this might cause problems at such places as Cambridge park and ride who only allow vans in one car park, we don't want to spend hours trying to search put parking online.

To which I would add two things Colin. First, in case the OP misses the point, your van is a relatively compact PVC. Second, were you to change to a larger van, you might find you spent longer looking for parking places on the ground, than it would take you to search out suitable places online! :-)

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-31 7:22 PM

colin - 2014-01-31 2:19 PM

We never plan ahead for parking, just head for a area we want to visit then see where we can park. whilst this might cause problems at such places as Cambridge park and ride who only allow vans in one car park, we don't want to spend hours trying to search put parking online.

To which I would add two things Colin. First, in case the OP misses the point, your van is a relatively compact PVC. Second, were you to change to a larger van, you might find you spent longer looking for parking places on the ground, than it would take you to search out suitable places online! :-)

OP is after pretty much the same size van as we toured Devon 4 years ago. ;-)

http://www.justgo.uk.com/pdfs/nomad.pdf

Many thanks for all your replies.

We had looked at the PVCs before we bought the Elddis 155 and thought we couldn't survive in the space for months on end, hence the larger van, (which was great for touring in France and the fixed bed was great). A smaller coach built now seems to be the preferred option at the moment.

However in view of all the comments we will now think long and hard on what it is we really want to do and where we want to go before we make another costly mistake.

Thanks again for the replies and we will certainly use this site again. :-D

Red Robbo - 2014-02-01 11:31 PM

We had looked at the PVCs before we bought the Elddis 155 and thought we couldn't survive in the space for months on end, hence the larger van,

It's an odd thing surviving in a van for weeks, for us this means being able to quietly sit on our own, doing our own thing in the evening, having a large rear lounge would not be ideal for us as this would mean one of us sitting in the cab, whilst with our present PVC gf can lounge on the rear bed reading her kindle or watching tv, whilst I can sit in the dinette reading, doing sudoku or t'internet on phone, gf inveribly goes to bed before me, so she can pull across the dividing door and have minimal disturbance from me having lights on or making a noise.

Get secondary transport. we carry a scooter on a rack on the back. Some tow cars. The scooter means we can stay on the best Aires that are quiet and free or cheap CL or out of the way wild spots in the UK.

I wouldnt have a motorhome if I couldnt have a scooter. Must be a right pain in the backside.

Barryd999 - 2014-02-02 8:39 AM.........I wouldnt have a motorhome if I couldnt have a scooter. Must be a right pain in the backside.

We have no scooter, no car in tow, and just two light, non-electric, bikes which we use for riding around, but not for visiting towns etc. We don't find this a pain, though it does require some planning and organisation.

The key is to understand how one will use one's van, and how much one is prepared to compromise in one area to gain in another. So, we probably lose somewhat on spontaniety, but gain a vehicle that is lighter and less encumbered, meaning, for instance, that access to "tighter" places is that much easier.

It is all a quite complex series of trade-offs and compromises - which means that what suits one person (or couple/family) will drive another nuts! This, IMO, is by far the most difficult bit go get right. By comparison, choosing the "right" layout is peanuts! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2014-02-02 11:35 AM

Barryd999 - 2014-02-02 8:39 AM.........I wouldnt have a motorhome if I couldnt have a scooter. Must be a right pain in the backside.

We have no scooter, no car in tow, and just two light, non-electric, bikes which we use for riding around, but not for visiting towns etc. We don't find this a pain, though it does require some planning and organisation.

The key is to understand how one will use one's van, and how much one is prepared to compromise in one area to gain in another. So, we probably lose somewhat on spontaniety, but gain a vehicle that is lighter and less encumbered, meaning, for instance, that access to "tighter" places is that much easier.

It is all a quite complex series of trade-offs and compromises - which means that what suits one person (or couple/family) will drive another nuts! This, IMO, is by far the most difficult bit go get right. By comparison, choosing the "right" layout is peanuts! :-D

I suppose we are just used to having the bike and would feel lost without it. It is very liberating and I think we see and do a lot more because of it plus its all part of the fun really. I love riding it although not so much in the winter.

Not everyones cup of tea I suspect and they are dangerous. More so in the UK I would say.

We started with a T5 pop up & had no problems parking any place we liked . But for longer holidays we used a tent as a store and eating area this allowed us to use the camper as a car for getting about , However after a back injury we had to sell as I was unable to pull the roof back down. After 1 year of looking we bought a auto sleeper Symbol 2008 5,4 meters long & we can fit into most parking spaces without height barriers .The seats convert to beds with 1 leaver and we have had 7 long trips to France and many weekends in England , and over 40000 miles so far still on the same Tyres we love it, BUT it is getting harder and harder to find car parks But the length of the van means road side parking is easy but overnight is now only practical in campsites THE CAMPER STOP BOOK is the way to go in Britain as we can stay in pub car parks for the price of a evening meal witch in the high season is cheaper than most camp sites Just needs a bit of planning . Many of our fellow motorhome owners with larger vans are downsizing because of the problems The larger the motorhome the more planning needed ,with ours if the weather looks good we often just leave home within 1 hour of leaving work . Van conversions seem to attract less hostility than the larger coach builds just my opinion .

Archived