smoking in your car?

capcloser

pepe63 - 2014-01-31 5:27 PM

What's going on?..by now, on the Chatterbox of old, there would've been howls of "..it's PC madness, I tells ya.....it's 'elf'n'safety gorn mad!...bl**dy limp wristed liberals.." etc

Come on now chaps, you're slippin'....Lift your game! ;-)

Give it time , Dave Pelmets still on his afternoon sleep !

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Had Enough

What's going on?..by now, on the Chatterbox of old, there would've been howls of "..it's PC madness, I tells ya.....it's 'elf'n'safety gorn mad!...bl**dy limp wristed liberals.." etc

They do have a point though. Parents shouldn't need the state to tell them what to do. We all know that every parent in the country is a bastion of common sense and thoughtfulness.

Next thing the nanny state will be insisting that parents belt up their children in cars using booster seats or properly installed child seats. It's ridiculous. OK, a few kids may go hurtling to their death through the windscreen in an accident, but it's a small price to pay to stop all this health and safety nonsense.

Quite right, the rozzers should be out there nicking burglars rather than worrying about a load of brats dying from cancer after years of inhaling secondary tobacco fumes, or smashing through a windscreen at fifty miles an hour. Bloody nanny state!

Before you know it they'll be stopping us having a few pints and driving.

Had Enough - 2014-01-31 6:26 PM

They do have a point though. Parents shouldn't need the state to tell them what to do. We all know that every parent in the country is a bastion of common sense and thoughtfulness.

Next thing the nanny state will be insisting that parents belt up their children in cars using booster seats or properly installed child seats. It's ridiculous. OK, a few kids may go hurtling to their death through the windscreen in an accident, but it's a small price to pay to stop all this health and safety nonsense.

Quite right, the rozzers should be out there nicking burglars rather than worrying about a load of brats dying from cancer after years of inhaling secondary tobacco fumes, or smashing through a windscreen at fifty miles an hour. Bloody nanny state!

Before you know it they'll be stopping us having a few pints and driving.

Dont you think it would be better to encourage people to be more responsible,buy introducing such laws you take away self responsibility and allow people to blame others,we hear it enough where its never the parents fault cos its the teachers or social workers,most people are responsible given the chance,anyway little timmy going through the windscreen will let the smoke out,joke!,before the screams of outrage and the thought police kick my door in.On a different note a friend had a lovely car that he cherished,new girlfriend had two kids and got them fish n chips to eat,he dumped here the next day and was most upset about the smell in his car.Hang on,update little timmy is ok so you can all relax

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2014-01-31 6:35 PM

Will the fuzz be waiting outside mcdonalds to nick those parents blocking up kiddies arteries with all that fatty gunk ? Or maybe an undercover raid on any parent at the ice cream van letting little tommy have a 99

No, why should they? A hamburger and chips and an ice cream once a week will do you no harm whatsoever. The state is only interested in ensuring that parents don't do things that may kill their children. But I can guarantee that if parents didn't give their children enough food, or gave them so much that they became clinically obese, the state would step in via social services. Would you disapprove of that or do you think that we should ignore it?

Do you disapprove of the laws that were brought in forcing parents to belt up their children in cars for instance, or is that another example of your health and safety gone mad?

Do you disapprove of laws stopping us from talking on mobile phones when driving, or is that the nanny state again?

Do you disapprove of laws that have stopped people from smoking in restaurants and bars so that the rest of us don't go home smelling like an ashtray?

When all these laws were introduced people like you were bleating 'nanny state', 'health and safety gone mad'.

Don't worry though. I'm sure that one day you'll get the hang of all this.

Guest Had Enough
capcloser - 2014-01-31 6:59 PM

Dont you think it would be better to encourage people to be more responsible,buy introducing such laws you take away self responsibility

Brilliant idea. We really don't need any laws on speeding, drink driving, talking on phones whilst trying to steer a car, making sure that people have their oldish cars tested every year to make sure that they haven't got bald tyres and dodgy brakes etc. etc. etc.

I'm sure that if we encouraged people to be more responsible we wouldn't need any laws at all.

Excellent suggestion, you should run for parliament.

I'm sure we're all waiting with baited breath to know how you're going to instill this sense of responsibility into the millions of stupid feckless thickos that make up a large part of Britain's population.

Had Enough - 2014-01-31 7:02 PM

antony1969 - 2014-01-31 6:35 PM

Will the fuzz be waiting outside mcdonalds to nick those parents blocking up kiddies arteries with all that fatty gunk ? Or maybe an undercover raid on any parent at the ice cream van letting little tommy have a 99

No, why should they? A hamburger and chips and an ice cream once a week will do you no harm whatsoever. The state is only interested in ensuring that parents don't do things that may kill their children. But I can guarantee that if parents didn't give their children enough food, or gave them so much that they became clinically obese, the state would step in via social services. Would you disapprove of that or do you think that we should ignore it?

Do you disapprove of the laws that were brought in forcing parents to belt up their children in cars for instance, or is that another example of your health and safety gone mad?

Do you disapprove of laws stopping us from talking on mobile phones when driving, or is that the nanny state again?

Do you disapprove of laws that have stopped people from smoking in restaurants and bars so that the rest of us don't go home smelling like an ashtray?

When all these laws were introduced people like you were bleating 'nanny state', 'health and safety gone mad'.

Don't worry though. I'm sure that one day you'll get the hang of all this.

Frank , if you needed a law to belt up your child your an unfit parent .

If you need a law to make you aware that driving while on the phone is dangerous then you are a complete prat

Having a law that stops smoking in public places is a great thing

Should the new law not be no smoking at all when driving a vehicle , is this not the same as using a phone ? You are not fully in control of the vehicle ?

Its easy to keep quoting sensible things to prove a point,not so easy to explain why that guy drowned in a pond because firemen and police on the scene couldnt help him because of health and safety,they hadnt had water rescue training,oh and it was 2ft deep! A how many villages have had to cancel street fairs etc that go back years because of health and safety? And the copper who refused to use a push bike cos he hadnt had the training? Wake up a smell the coffee >:-)

Guest Had Enough
capcloser - 2014-01-31 7:17 PM

Its easy to keep quoting sensible things to prove a point,not so easy to explain why that guy drowned in a pond because firemen and police on the scene couldnt help him because of health and safety,they hadnt had water rescue training,oh and it was 2ft deep! A how many villages have had to cancel street fairs etc that go back years because of health and safety? And the copper who refused to use a push bike cos he hadnt had the training? Wake up a smell the coffee >:-)

What's that got to do with smoking when you have children in a car. Are you suggesting that because a few idiots take things too seriously we should scrap all the laws that keep us and our children safe?

I don't know about smelling the coffee, you just need to wake up.

Guest Had Enough
antony1969 - 2014-01-31 7:15 PM

Frank , if you needed a law to belt up your child your an unfit parent .

If you need a law to make you aware that driving while on the phone is dangerous then you are a complete prat

Having a law that stops smoking in public places is a great thing

Should the new law not be no smoking at all when driving a vehicle , is this not the same as using a phone ? You are not fully in control of the vehicle ?

Sorry, I'd forgotten at every person in Britain is a paragon of intelligence and thoughtfulness. There was me thinking that there are lots of really stupid people around who did stick their child on the front seat of a car without a seat belt.

There was me thinking that there were millions of people who'd think nothing of smoking their cigarettes on the restaurant table next to mine and blowing smoke all over me.

And there was me thinking that there were people who thought nothing of having ten pints and driving before the breathalyzer was introduced.

It seems I was wrong and we really don't need any of these laws.

Thanks for putting me right guys.

My wife and I are none smokers and very much healthier and richer for it. If anyone asks if we mind them smoking in our car, motorhome or house the answer is quite simply YES if they don't like it they know what to do. One friend in our road who I was taking to a hospital appointment was quite upset to be told this. A stunning lack of gratitude give that I had given up an afternoon to take her on a 40 mile round trip which included waiting for her at the hospital and the car at the time was less than a week old.

Always amuses me to see the number of smokers standing outside their caravans and motorhomes for a late night smoke knowing the if they make it smell of smoke it will reduce the sales value.

Guest Had Enough

Its easy to keep quoting sensible things to prove a point.....,

You're right and I'm sorry. In future I'll try to argue more like a typical Chatterbox regular and write a load of badly thought-out reactionary b*****ks.

Had Enough - 2014-01-31 7:34 PM

You're right and I'm sorry. In future I'll try to argue more like a typical Chatterbox regular and write a load of badly thought-out reactionary b*****ks.

That's why I love ya frank and your my fave uncle , say it how it is xx

Perhaps i should have put you choose the easy things to quote,i suppose anything that requires a bit of thought is perhaps beyond you,lucky you are the only caring sensible person on the planet or we would all be in trouble,and as for laws concerninv seatbelts and mobile phones,surely education plays a part as well as law?

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2014-01-31 6:03 PM

That's a foul slur Antony 8-)................as any self respecting Brit should be in Spain at that time of day :-|................I was.....

Pi**ed ;-)

pelmetman - 2014-01-31 8:18 PM

antony1969 - 2014-01-31 6:03 PM

That's a foul slur Antony 8-)................as any self respecting Brit should be in Spain at that time of day :-|................I was.....

Pi**ed ;-)

Uncle franks been on the bubbly too Dave , trouble is it just makes him more angry and miserable than normal

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-01-31 7:34 PM

(lol) (lol)...........You forget Cap ;-)..............the intelligentsia need to make rules for us ficko's *-)........how else would they justify their jobs in enforcing them :D.............not to mention the dosh to be made from when they cock up by producing a report headed........"Lessons will be learned".......... :D

Yus Yus we is lucky to ave such kindly folk to looks after us poor unfortunates 8-) ............

But at least we didn't get sent to a public school 8-) 8-) 8-)................

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2014-01-31 8:33 PM

Uncle franks been on the bubbly too Dave , trouble is it just makes him more angry and miserable than normal

I expect it was that Camel that gave him the hump ;-) ...............

Guest pelmetman
capcloser - 2014-01-31 8:40 PM

As usual dave you sum up what i struggle to say,perhaps if i had gone to public school i would be able to mass debate better,lol,or at least quicker (?)

No Cap.......... you should've joined the Navy :D.............Us lower deck Lawyers are well known for pulling over inflated plonkers :D........

Ha didnt get me that time i put my coffee down now before reading your posts lol I ;-) i must admit i did expect lively debate cos its about smoking but i did expect more than the usual inane comments and a bit more thought about the erosion of free choice in this country,now wheres my baccy! One point we rarely smoke in our home but do when the weather is crap and i do get fed wiping the walls and ceiling down,perhaps i should paint them yellow.As far as smoking goes i admit i was a idiot to start,i got a job offshore when i was 22 and everybody smoked and fags were like 25p a packet so i started at the age of 22! .The smoking ban was a good idea,although dad claimed that it was ignored in benidorm but perhaps others say different

When these sort of things are brought up, I always think WHAT ARE THEY TRYING TO HIDE, as it always seems these very controversial subjects appear when there is something they want to hide, as like always the media and public get into a frenzy and then they can hide any really bad news etc behind the headlines, like having a purpose made smoke screen ?LOL not sure what they are trying to hide or perhaps stop, could be they wanted to kill the 50p tax saga, get it off the headlines.

Personally I think it is wrong to smoke in a confined space with anyone especially children who don't really know what damage it could be doing to them, But it does seem to be questionable to mmake it into law, as I really can't see how they can police it.

enodreven - 2014-01-31 9:19 PM

, But it does seem to be questionable to mmake it into law, as I really can't see how they can police it.

You may well be right about diverting the publics' attention from other things. That seems to be normal practice. ( Our media seems to make it easy for them ).

I assume that the idea of the new law is to make people think about what they are doing and hopefully change their practices.

It would be ' policed ' of course - I'm sure a few people will get arrested from time to time.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
capcloser - 2014-01-31 9:02 PM

Ha didnt get me that time i put my coffee down now before reading your posts lol I ;-) i must admit i did expect lively debate cos its about smoking but i did expect more than the usual inane comments and a bit more thought about the erosion of free choice in this country,now wheres my baccy! One point we rarely smoke in our home but do when the weather is crap and i do get fed wiping the walls and ceiling down,perhaps i should paint them yellow.As far as smoking goes i admit i was a idiot to start,i got a job offshore when i was 22 and everybody smoked and fags were like 25p a packet so i started at the age of 22! .The smoking ban was a good idea,although dad claimed that it was ignored in benidorm but perhaps others say different

Not as lively a debate if old 1foot was still around ;-)................but since he's been evicted from this parish :-S..............although I have heard he's got a new persona :D........

As for smoking.......never took it up B-).............which goes against all of the perceived logic if you believe everything you read :-|.................chain smoking parents......we had a tobacconists as part of our hairdressers.........cheap fags in the navy............yet neither I or my siblings took up the habit :-S

I guess I ain't normal .............I blame my parents 8-)

Archived