smoking in your car?

capcloser

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-02-05 2:53 PM

CliveH - 2014-02-05 2:44 PM

When a person who is caught using their mobile phone (Non Hands Free) and gets a fine - they could just say "Fair Cop" and pay up. But most don't, most swear they were using hands free,

And your evidence for this latest bit of wishful thinking to bolster your case is ........................?

Most of them don't have 'Hands Free' Clive, or they'd use it. Perhaps you haven't thought that the police will simply say: "Well, we saw you and you're on camera with a phone to your ear. But perhaps you can show us your hands-free system sir?"

Carry on with your fantasies!

Ahem ;-).............

"I'll leave you to have the last word, you are famous for it after all!"

*-)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks clive i understand strawman now,and at least you didnt start you explanation by calling me thick! Lol I know its not the same thing but an example of the police ignoring/not enforcing a law has got to be at music festivals,me and partner worked at Glasonbury festival 4yrs in a row,litter picking then stewards and the use of and low level dealing of cannabis was blatant and completely ignored, we were at main gate for an hour waiting to get in and one guy was shouting his wares like a market trader within ft of police in a riot van,one copper walked past our van and i said something cheeky about it and he said we are too busy to worry about him,he's harmless! For ages afterwards we were convinced they weren't police but people dressed up! Before anyone has a go i am not condoning drugs but it is another area where our goverments policies are woefully inadequate

Had Enough - 2014-02-05 2:31 PM
RogerC - 2014-02-05 1:00 PM
You really do need to step back and examine your attitude to almost everyone in the UK who's in a position of responsibility!

Actually I hold a number of 'public servants' in high regard.  Unfortunately there are those who are more interested in self aggrandisement and lining their own pockets.  If your powers of recollection were up to it you would recall my postings regarding my dislike/distrust of those 'office holders' are aimed entirely at those questionable individuals.  However with your selective powers of recall I doubt the foregoing would fit your argument. 

So your comment is yet another illustration of your childish vein of argument...........

My selective powers? Guess who wrote this about 'Most all public service organisations'.'There goes another flying pig then. The problem with the 'system' (most all public service systems/organisations) is that they are populated by low ability, self aggrandising, self serving individuals. In recent years I have seen precious little evidence of those 'at the top' being there on the basis of merit, ability or morality. Basically the culture seems based on 'What can I get out of it, what 'spin' (lies) do I need to proffer to hide my ineptitude and how long can I get away with it'.......oh and if they can take a few 'cronies' with them along the way then, for them, so much the better. The cronies will ensure the 'chief' keeps his/her snout in the trough that much longer.The bottom line folks is we....the providers of the income for these thieves/liars and manipulators have no recourse and as a consequence we have no option but to live with it. We really do have no other option.........apart from revolution!"That to me speaks of a rather obsessed man!

You are entitled to your opinion, which you so regularly take advantage of on here.  However accusing me of being obsessed you are so very wide of the mark.  My approach to those I refer to above is because there is no place in public life (office) for those who use their positions to realise personal gain by dubious means.........for that you could read theft as perpetrated by some MP's of late.

Should I support and admire a Council leader that makes hundreds of employees redundant because of budgetary restraints/shortfalls and then a couple of months later votes in a 37% remuneration increase for herself?  I think not.

So obsessed?.....no one bit.  Just a realist who despises those who put self before 'office and duty' and who see nothing wrong in obtaining financial advantage in the process.  I also despise those who, in terms of 'ass covering' or self interest lie to the public in order to cover up their failing in their duty.

If you can't see that these things happen or you simply accept them then that is your prerogative.  However I for one was brought up to be honest and to have a moral compass.  Unfortunately those traits are seriously lacking in some of those in 'office' hence my dislike of the way they conduct themselves.

However each to their own so enjoy your blinkered adoration of the high and mighty.  They love toadies!!

Had Enough - 2014-02-05 2:46 PM

CliveH - 2014-02-05 1:39 PM

Had Enough - 2014-02-05 12:23 PM

CliveH - 2014-02-05 11:25 AM

My point was that with so few police on the ground such that good legislation re tailgating and centre lane hogging is not being actioned - how can anyone think that a parent having a crafty smoke in their own car is going to be "caught".

Er, as we've explained to you many times Clive, they'll be caught in the same way as people talking on phones or not wearing seat belts. But what is it about the following proposition that you clearly are too thick to understand?

If it becomes law, the very fact that it is now illegal will ensure that the majority of smokers no longer smoke when there are children in the car.

Why is that so hard for you and your thick mates to understand?

This is just unbelieveable? Are you really so dumb that you can't work out that making something illegal stops most people from doing it!

And just as with mobile phones the police will make examples in the early stages to ram home the message and the resulting court cases will deter others.

God, it couldn't be more simple!

Yes - and herby is the nub of the issue Frank.

You seem only able to comprehend "simple" notions - the rest of us who have the ability to look at things from a wider perspective realise that just because something is law does not mean that populations thereby abide by that law.

The proof is that there is not enough police to apply the sensible and far more easily policed Centre Lane Hogging and Tailgaiting law.

Yes - using your mobile phone is against the law - but not if it is hands free. And I see far more people using non-hands free phones than I do police patrols! - So the law is hardly an effective deterrent.

Yes - smoking in front of kids is stupid. It ought not to happen - but I can see smokers keeping an "e-cig" handy to "prove" that they were "hands free"

And the last thing we need is stupid politicians passing laws that criminalise otherwise law abiding people - however stupid their actions may be.

I give in Clive. When you talk about criminalising people who will get a fine you've clearly lost it. When you talk about the bulk of the population ignoring the law, you've obviously lost it. If you're flashed by a speed camera for instance you are not criminalised. Errant nonsense!

When you ignore all the evidence from previous legislation which has changed attitudes, you've obviously lost it.

And of course all politicians are stupid, except of course the odd few who agree with you!

You simply can't grasp the concept of laws changing attitudes despite there being so much proof that they do; seat belts, phones in cars, drink driving, speeding. People didn't stop doing all these things because they've suddenly become more sensible. they stopped doing them because a law was passed and was enforced. And the nonsense that you keep trotting out about how people will try to fool it by e-cigs etc. is just puerile and laughable.

As I said, I give in. Your limited native intelligence, as I've often said, simply can't think beyond your knee jerk reactions.

Finally, I note that you haven't commented on the article from Professor Terence Stephenson, President, Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health. Perhaps because it doesn't accord with your simplistic views?

But as Symbol Owner wrote:"That is an extremely good article, Frank, put very succinctly. Says all you need to know to make the case, really."

I'll leave you to have the last word, you are famous for it after all!

If only you would Frank - but once again you want us to "do as you say - not as you do"

This gambit of saying the other person will have the last word is a silly ruse to try to stop the debate now that you realise you are on a sticky wicket.

As for the article - I read it - agreed with all of it!

But despite this - you are once again guilty of Strawman arguments!!!

I do NOT disagree that children should not be subject to cigarette smoke

What I am saying is that regardless of all the medical evidence to suggest that smoking is bad - some idiots still do it.

Passing a law to make it an offence will have bugger all effect!

It is like drug use - that is against the law - penalties are huge - but does making a law against it have any effect? Not according to the statistics.

And yet some in the medical profession seek to DECRIMINALISE drug use - because it is the criminalisation of the user that causes the knock on effect on society.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2012/oct/15/decriminalise-drug-use-say-experts

And yet here you are - legend in your own lunchtime - supporting a law that will criminalise a silly parent!

*-)

Guest Had Enough
RogerC - 2014-02-05 3:12 PMYou are entitled to your opinion, which you so regularly take advantage of on here.  However accusing me of being obsessed you are so very wide of the mark.  My approach to those I refer to above is because there is no place in public life (office) for those who use their positions to realise personal gain by dubious means.........for that you could read theft as perpetrated by some MP's of late.

Should I support and admire a Council leader that makes hundreds of employees redundant because of budgetary restraints/shortfalls and then a couple of months later votes in a 37% remuneration increase for herself?  I think not.

So obsessed?.....no one bit.  Just a realist who despises those who put self before 'office and duty' and who see nothing wrong in obtaining financial advantage in the process.  I also despise those who, in terms of 'ass covering' or self interest lie to the public in order to cover up their failing in their duty.

If you can't see that these things happen or you simply accept them then that is your prerogative.  However I for one was brought up to be honest and to have a moral compass.  Unfortunately those traits are seriously lacking in some of those in 'office' hence my dislike of the way they conduct themselves.

However each to their own so enjoy your blinkered adoration of the high and mighty.  They love toadies!!

I'll remind you of what you said!There goes another flying pig then. The problem with the 'system' (most all public service systems/organisations) is that they are populated by low ability, self aggrandising, self serving individuals. In recent years I have seen precious little evidence of those 'at the top' being there on the basis of merit, ability or morality. Basically the culture seems based on 'What can I get out of it, what 'spin' (lies) do I need to proffer to hide my ineptitude and how long can I get away with it'.......oh and if they can take a few 'cronies' with them along the way then, for them, so much the better. The cronies will ensure the 'chief' keeps his/her snout in the trough that much longer.The clue to your obsession is in the words "most all public service/systems organisations.............."So you appear to have great knowledge of all public servants and you appear to think that they are all:'low ability, self aggrandising, self serving individuals.'And you follow it up with:"Basically the culture seems based on 'What can I get out of it, what 'spin' (lies) do I need to proffer to hide my ineptitude and how long can I get away with it'.......oh and if they can take a few 'cronies' with them along the way then, for them, so much the better. The cronies will ensure the 'chief' keeps his/her snout in the trough that much longer."Mmm, methinks that you're beyond a simple obsession! You need help!

pelmetman - 2014-02-05 2:08 PM

Been out for a nice Chinese with the old man...........5.25 euro a head for 3 courses including half a litre of wine..............per person B-)............forgot to mention the Sangria and prawn crackers on arrival ;-)..........................15.75 = 14 quid'ish for 3 people........... :D.......

Just thought I'd throw that into the argument :-| ..................Cheap food and drink will be the death of me....................even though my parents were chain smokers............especially in the car *-)...............

nothing to do with the topic dave but while your sitting there in the sun i'm sitting near extremely wet lowestoft thinking about cooking me hot pot and staring out the window at what appears to by a monsoon! Oh and its 5degrees c here but woodburners on so still cosy.Dogs will want a walk soon lol.Back on thread now,just to tell everyone i have reached for the fags a few times over the last couple of days and thought,no i dont really need one so some good has come from this thread!

Guest pelmetman
Had Enough - 2014-02-05 3:24 PM

Mmm, methinks that you're beyond a simple obsession! You need help!

I'm beginning to think this forum provides an outlet for Frank :-| ..................coz if he spoke to his staff as he does to people on here I doubt he'd have any ;-) ...............

Must be why he came back after being evicted............HE needs more therapy :D

Guest pelmetman
capcloser - 2014-02-05 3:32 PM

pelmetman - 2014-02-05 2:08 PM

Been out for a nice Chinese with the old man...........5.25 euro a head for 3 courses including half a litre of wine..............per person B-)............forgot to mention the Sangria and prawn crackers on arrival ;-)..........................15.75 = 14 quid'ish for 3 people........... :D.......

Just thought I'd throw that into the argument :-| ..................Cheap food and drink will be the death of me....................even though my parents were chain smokers............especially in the car *-)...............

nothing to do with the topic dave but while your sitting there in the sun i'm sitting near extremely wet lowestoft thinking about cooking me hot pot and staring out the window at what appears to by a monsoon! Oh and its 5degrees c here but woodburners on so still cosy.Dogs will want a walk soon lol.Back on thread now,just to tell everyone i have reached for the fags a few times over the last couple of days and thought,no i dont really need one so some good has come from this thread!

If it makes you feel any better Cap...............it was quite overcast today :D................

http://www.accuweather.com/en/es/murcia/308556/hourly-weather-forecast/308556

But things are improving B-)

I see Frank as a simple soul who sees everything in Black and White. (as I used to when printing with my old Gnome Beta II) - trouble is this means that he sees everything as either "Lost" or "Won".

You see it all the time in his posts

"XXXXX now has lost the argument........."

Trouble is life is not like that. There are shades of grey (50 according SWMBO 8-) )

When it comes to the Human Race - sadly I fear that Frank is well and truly Lost.

Yeah loads better cheers dave (lol) As it happens i've got some san miguel in the fridge so if i put all the lights on and crack a bottle i can pretend i'm elsewhere,nothing against lowestoft you understand but there a lot of better places to be in the winter! Lol

RogerC - 2014-02-05 3:12 PMYou are entitled to your opinion, which you so regularly take advantage of on here.  However accusing me of being obsessed you are so very wide of the mark.  My approach to those I refer to above is because there is no place in public life (office) for those who use their positions to realise personal gain by dubious means.........for that you could read theft as perpetrated by some MP's of late.

I'll remind you of what you said!There goes another flying pig then. The problem with the 'system' (most all public service systems/organisations) is that they are populated by low ability, self aggrandising, self serving individuals. In recent years I have seen precious little evidence of those 'at the top' being there on the basis of merit, ability or morality. Basically the culture seems based on 'What can I get out of it, what 'spin' (lies) do I need to proffer to hide my ineptitude and how long can I get away with it'.......oh and if they can take a few 'cronies' with them along the way then, for them, so much the better. The cronies will ensure the 'chief' keeps his/her snout in the trough that much longer.The clue to your obsession is in the words "most all public service/systems organisations.............."So you appear to have great knowledge of all public servants and you appear to think that they are all:'low ability, self aggrandising, self serving individuals.'And you follow it up with:"Basically the culture seems based on 'What can I get out of it, what 'spin' (lies) do I need to proffer to hide my ineptitude and how long can I get away with it'.......oh and if they can take a few 'cronies' with them along the way then, for them, so much the better. The cronies will ensure the 'chief' keeps his/her snout in the trough that much longer."Mmm, methinks that you're beyond a simple obsession! You need help!

You antagonistic, selective numpty...........I wrote:

Quote: most all public service systems/organisations.  Unquote.

I did not comment on any individual or individuals other than one Council leader.  I most certainly did not say 'all'.  Just in case you missed it the first time .....I wrote ...MOST which given recent history includes MP's, NHS, Police, Social Services, Local Councils and more recently the Environment Agency to name but a few.  If you can not see the inept leadership and/or self serving attitude of those in 'Office' in those departments then you have little grasp of reality.  So do try and pay attention........your obsession with argumentative reposting with your tangential interpretation of the original post would be quite amusing if it wasn't so sad.

With that in mind I am under the impression that you have a rather unhealthy propensity to find discourse/argument in whatever you do.  It is really quite unpleasant.

You seem to have an unenviable trait to selectively pounce on words taken in isolation or worse still to 'spin' other posters writings.

You are beyond understanding or redemption.

Guest Had Enough
RogerC - 2014-02-05 3:56 PM

I did not comment on any individual or individuals other than one Council leader.  I most certainly did not say 'all'.  Just in case you missed it the first time .....I wrote ...MOST which given recent history includes MP's, NHS, Police, Social Services, Local Councils and more recently the Environment Agency to name but a few.  If you can not see the inept leadership and/or self serving attitude of those in 'Office' in those departments then you have little grasp of reality.  So do try and pay attention........your obsession with argumentative reposting with your tangential interpretation of the original post would be quite amusing if it wasn't so sad.

With that in mind I am under the impression that you have a rather unhealthy propensity to find discourse/argument in whatever you do.  It is really quite unpleasant.

You seem to have an unenviable trait to selectively pounce on words taken in isolation or worse still to 'spin' other posters writings.

You really do need help. You make Victor Meldrew look like Mr. Happy. What a miserable unhappy world you live in. You poor man. Get some help.

Guest Had Enough
CliveH - 2014-02-05 4:26 PM

WHO SAID THAT?

DID SOMEONE HAVE A LAST WORD?

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

Oh dear, you're really not very bright are you? I said I'd given in with you on this subject and I have. I haven't yet given in to Roger ConspiracyFreak or anyone else whose posts I fancy responding to.

Now try to read a bit more carefully and engage your brain cell.

;-)

Ah! - this is you showing your overly sensitive side is it Frank?

You asked if I had read the link to your article and I twice said that I had and that I agreed with it.

So any comments on the "experts" that call for some drugs to be DECRIMINALISED because criminalising a habit, however stupid, is seen to be counter productive?

I provided a link -

Had Enough - 2014-02-05 3:59 PM
RogerC - 2014-02-05 3:56 PM

You really do need help. You make Victor Meldrew look like Mr. Happy. What a miserable unhappy world you live in. You poor man. Get some help.

With such a pathetic response I take it that my comments have hit home and you really have no counter or, as is your wont, any tangential argumentative comment to make.

It is interesting that when faced with fact you have no adult, educated comments to make and simply resort to type............juvenile.  I have noticed your propensity for resorting to the juvenile quite a lot when you have unequivocal fact offered in response to your rampant admiration for the 'good and great' leadership of Public Office.......it is quite funny.

Please do tell where you get your deeply rose coloured glasses from? I presume it is the wearing of them that colours your opinion of the 'high and mighty'...............or maybe it really is a case of 'ignorance is bliss' because you are certainly that.........ignorant!!

Guest Had Enough
RogerC - 2014-02-05 5:35 PMWith such a pathetic response I take it that my comments have hit home and you really have no counter or, as is your wont, any tangential argumentative comment to make.

It is interesting that when faced with fact you have no adult, educated comments to make and simply resort to type............juvenile.  I have noticed your propensity for resorting to the juvenile quite a lot when you have unequivocal fact offered in response to your rampant admiration for the 'good and great' leadership of Public Office.......it is quite funny.

Please do tell where you get your deeply rose coloured glasses from? I presume it is the wearing of them that colours your opinion of the 'high and mighty'...............or maybe it really is a case of 'ignorance is bliss' because you are certainly that.........ignorant!!

I was being serious. I genuinely believe that you have a severe problem and that you need help. I've heard of glass half-empty people but you're a glass completely drained sort of chap.I don't have rose coloured spectacles but what I have is the brains to know that not all public servants are corrupt, self serving and avaricious.I also feel eternally grateful that I live in Britain, a country where our standard of living and longevity has improved tremendously over the years since I was born, and this is because of the measures put in place by those politicians that you despise.You are without any doubt, the most negative, miserable and depressing individual that I've ever come across. But what's worse than that is your overbearing arrogance that leads you to believe that only you have the answers and that everyone else in any position of responsibility is an idiot, or a thief or at the very least is only in it for personal aggrandisement and gain. You are a sad, deluded and depressing person and I truly feel sorry for you as you seem burdened down by hatred for everyone in any position of responsibility in the public sector.I believe that you need help. For anyone to go through life with your outlook can only lead to illness and depression. Please, have a close look at yourself and at your outpourings on here and consider the reaction of those close to you. Living with you must be hell.

Wow Frank!

All that you say could SO EASILY apply to you!

Has someone said this to you and about you before

Seems to me that more than a bit of Projection is going on here!

Edit - what is Psychological Projection?

"Psychological projection was conceptualized by Sigmund Freud (6 May 1856 – 23 September 1939) in the 1900s as a defense mechanism in which a person unconsciously rejects his or her own unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world.[1]

For example, a person who is rude may accuse other people of being rude.

Although rooted in early developmental stages,[2] and classed by George Eman Vaillant as an immature defence,[3] the projection of one's negative qualities onto others on a small scale is nevertheless a common process in everyday life.[4]

It certainly seems to be a common process with a certain person on here!!! :-S

Guest Had Enough
CliveH - 2014-02-05 5:58 PM

Wow Frank!

All that you say could SO EASILY apply to you!

Has someone said this to you and about you before

Seems to me that more than a bit of Projection is going on here!

Edit - what is Psychological Projection?

"Psychological projection was conceptualized by Sigmund Freud (6 May 1856 – 23 September 1939) in the 1900s as a defense mechanism in which a person unconsciously rejects his or her own unacceptable attributes by ascribing them to objects or persons in the outside world.[1]

For example, a person who is rude may accuse other people of being rude.

Although rooted in early developmental stages,[2] and classed by George Eman Vaillant as an immature defence,[3] the projection of one's negative qualities onto others on a small scale is nevertheless a common process in everyday life.[4]

It certainly seems to be a common process with a certain person on here!!! :-S

Wow, if you say so Clive. You know so much about absolutely everything! Now you're an expert on psychology. Is there no end to your talents?

It's a good job that you don't have to pay for Wikipedia. You'd be broke, or is it broker? ;-)

When you have done as much manpower training as I have Frank! - If you had then you would realise that psychology is a vital factor in successful training.

Many of the fundamental principles of psychology form the basis for management training.

Three major areas from a management training perspective would probably be:-

* the individual psychological processes of learning, personality and motivation which are at the heart of most management training courses

* the social psychological processes of group dynamics, leadership and stress which all arise from the interaction of people

* the psychology of the actual training experience including the crucial training skill of communication and what is needed to meet the organisational training needs

The second point is where you intrigue me Frank - you have little or no skills or understanding of this area of "interaction" whatsoever! Which as I have said before - given your oft cited relative success in life - is indeed surprising.

Guest pelmetman
CliveH - 2014-02-05 6:51 PM

The second point is where you intrigue me Frank - you have little or no skills or understanding of this area of "interaction" whatsoever! Which as I have said before - given your oft cited relative success in life - is indeed surprising.

He has staff for that kinda thing Clive ;-)..........

antony1969 - 2014-02-05 7:00 PM

If anyone's interested I've just tied the rope around the tree

The only time i did that was when in my youth I took a lady of ill-repute into a wooded area one hot summers evening.

She asked " Have you taken precautions? "

And I said " Yes - I have tied my feet to that tree "

8-)

CliveH - 2014-02-05 7:13 PM

antony1969 - 2014-02-05 7:00 PM

If anyone's interested I've just tied the rope around the tree

The only time i did that was when in my youth I took a lady of ill-repute into a wooded area one hot summers evening.

She asked " Have you taken precautions? "

And I said " Yes - I have tied my feet to that tree "

8-)

Instead of going doggin Clive she took you loggin , tough luck

Archived