Slovenia tolls

Cliffy

We are travelling down to Croatia in May via Austria and Slovenia we will be stopping for a few days in Ljubljuana it grieves me to pay 40 euros for a Vignette on the downward journey and stay but I sure dont want to pay again on the return trip when I will be just nipping through in to Italy.

My question is:- Can I easily get from Croatia to the Italian border without going on a toll road in Slovenia?

Can't answer your question. but I would question the basis of why you put it.

The €40 quoted is (weekly) for toll group 2B. As a motorcaravan, I believe you should be classified in toll group 2A, where the weekly cost is €15.

I'd suggest you look at the last page in this link:

http://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/3_vinjete/Seznam%20izmerjenih%20vozil_The%20list%20of%20measured%20vehicles.pdf

...where (in English) it confirms the above.

edited to clarify:

...All motorcaravans not exceeding 3.5t s/be group 2A regardless of height at front axle.

We spent a couple of weeks in Slovenia without using the toll roads when you get to the toll both coming from Austria tell them you are only going to Jesenice and they will let you through. On the way back there is usually a police at the toll both checking the vignettes just tell them you have only come from Jesenice. Most of the roads are fairly good.

Don't miss driving down the Soca valley, the road of a hundred hairpins as we found out they only count the really sharp ones, it's a good road and well worth it.

Don't risk blagging it through Austria we have seen the Autobahn closed everyone directed though a rest area so the police could check vignettes quite a few Dutch were caught.

Cliffy, you can get from Germany to Lubljana without using tolls, and from Croatia to Italy without using tolls.

For example: take the German A8 to Salzburg and briefly join the Austrian A10. Leave A10 at jinction 8 for the B159/B99 to Lieserbrucke, and briefly again join A10 south to Sankt Peter. Leave A10 at Sankt Peter onto B100/B83 via Villach and Kalgenfurt. At Klagenfurt join L96 "Sudring" to junction with B91. Join B91 over the Loiblpass (tunnel) south to Slovenian border, and on to Slovenian roads 101/411/412/211 and then via Kranj to Lubljana. The Loibl pass is usually open, is restricted for caravans, but a motorhome under 3.5 tonnes should be OK. It is part of European route E562. For details of any further restrictions (length, height etc) e-mail holiday@austria.info, giving details of the pass, the vehicle size, and its MAM. The brief sections of Austrian motorway involved are, according to AutoRoute 2013, toll free.

From Croatia, head for Pasjak NW of Rijeka and take the Slovenian road 7 for Trieste/Italy. Again, according to AutoRoute 2013, this route is toll free. Croatia joined the EU in 2013, but is not in the Eurozone (currency is the Kuna). While on this route see if you have time to go to Hrastovlje, and visit the extraordinary little fortified church of the Holy Trinity, covered inside with stunning frescos. When we visited in 2008 there was a very modest charge for entry, and if you demonstrated you can take pictures without flash, you can even take photos. GPS for small car park: N45.50929 E13.90058. Absolutely magic! About 13 miles south by road from Kozina (which is on road 7, near the Italian border).

You will find navigating these routes much easier with a good sat nav, with up to date maps, set to avoid tolls. For route finding, I'd recommend a copy of the latest version of AutoRoute, as it makes the planning so much quicker and easier.

Hi,

Part of the pleasure for me in Slovenia is not using the toll roads and going through all the towns and villages. Ljubljana is well worth a visit, and have been a few times. It s the pits of a city really but the historic centre is marvelous and a must see. We always ( have been many times) staying in Kamnik at the small basic campsite. It improves each year as they slowly add to the facilities, free washing machine and free warm showers all add to the fun. However Kamnik itself is a lovely town overall and it is great fun to get the train to Ljubljana instead of driving. Its an experience on the train, quite a long walk from station to center of Ljubljana but all makes it a very nice day out. The train is cheap but you can always get the bus instead. ( get the train!!!)

For anyone reading whio fancies Kamnik, there are local shops, a good tourist information centre and a few historiuc building you can visit. Nearby there is an Arboretum well worth visiting, do not do what we did and walk...its long way and you need to reserve your legs for walking around the Arboretum which is massive. There are a couple of cafes in the park. There is an entrance charge but do not know how much it is as we sneeked unknowingly in the workman's entrance - a long story. I made up for it though enjoying numerous 'Kaffee und Kuchen' in the park kiosk cafe at great expense in total.

There is also a lovely walk up the to the Stari Grad, but if this is not for you stick to the Mali Grad in the town.

It's a pity about the introduction of tolls in Slovenia. My first time there was pre-toll so you can imagine the shock i had when i returned the following year. The fees are among the highest in Europe but if any of us feel 'hard done by', spare a thought for Slovenian nationals who have to pay €100 pa. When you consider their national average income is quite low, that's very expensive for them.

So in effect are you also saying then it is a pity they built the motorways and they would have been better off without all the new roads and hence no tolls.

Would it have been better if they built the new Motorways and then increased every Slovenian's Income tax instead? They charge a toll to help pay for the roads so those in transit through the country not contributing to local economies also pay their fair share towards the cost of the NEW motorways.

Robinhood - 2014-01-31 8:13 AM

Can't answer your question. but I would question the basis of why you put it.

The €40 quoted is (weekly) for toll group 2B. As a motorcaravan, I believe you should be classified in toll group 2A, where the weekly cost is €15.

I'd suggest you look at the last page in this link:

http://www.dars.si/Dokumenti/3_vinjete/Seznam%20izmerjenih%20vozil_The%20list%20of%20measured%20vehicles.pdf

...where (in English) it confirms the above.

edited to clarify:

...All motorcaravans not exceeding 3.5t s/be group 2A regardless of height at front axle.

Thanks for pointing that out. I did not read the notes and assumed that Motorhomes were being treat as they are in the UK. as cash cows. 15 Euros is not so bad.. I certainly would not want to chance dodging the tolls. I am not one of those who turn up late at an Aire and leave early to avoid paying the five or so Euros. Fair is Fair

Brian Kirby - 2014-01-31 12:52 PM

Cliffy, you can get from Germany to Lubljana without using tolls, and from Croatia to Italy without using tolls.

For example: take the German A8 to Salzburg and briefly join the Austrian A10. Leave A10 at jinction 8 for the B159/B99 to Lieserbrucke, and briefly again join A10 south to Sankt Peter. Leave A10 at Sankt Peter onto B100/B83 via Villach and Kalgenfurt. At Klagenfurt join L96 "Sudring" to junction with B91. Join B91 over the Loiblpass (tunnel) south to Slovenian border, and on to Slovenian roads 101/411/412/211 and then via Kranj to Lubljana. The Loibl pass is usually open, is restricted for caravans, but a motorhome under 3.5 tonnes should be OK. It is part of European route E562. For details of any further restrictions (length, height etc) e-mail holiday@austria.info, giving details of the pass, the vehicle size, and its MAM. The brief sections of Austrian motorway involved are, according to AutoRoute 2013, toll free.

From Croatia, head for Pasjak NW of Rijeka and take the Slovenian road 7 for Trieste/Italy. Again, according to AutoRoute 2013, this route is toll free. Croatia joined the EU in 2013, but is not in the Eurozone (currency is the Kuna). While on this route see if you have time to go to Hrastovlje, and visit the extraordinary little fortified church of the Holy Trinity, covered inside with stunning frescos. When we visited in 2008 there was a very modest charge for entry, and if you demonstrated you can take pictures without flash, you can even take photos. GPS for small car park: N45.50929 E13.90058. Absolutely magic! About 13 miles south by road from Kozina (which is on road 7, near the Italian border).

You will find navigating these routes much easier with a good sat nav, with up to date maps, set to avoid tolls. For route finding, I'd recommend a copy of the latest version of AutoRoute, as it makes the planning so much quicker and easier.

Thanks for that Brian I will print it out. We are travelling the route from Salzburg (Camping Grubhof) to Villach via Camping Brunner am See, then on to Bled and Lubljana, then on to eventfully Dubrovnik. We are looking forward to the trip.

Wonderful trip. Just looked up Camping Grubhof. I assume I am correct it is near Lofer. Wonderful area..just watching (and listening to music) on campsite webpage.

http://www.grubhof.com/en/comfort-camping-holidays/holiday-region-map/videos-of-lofer.html

Awwwwww, I want to be there now..just love the moutains of Austria, the towns and the people.

It's the music on the videos which has got me all nostalgic and yearning to go back NOW and not in 5 months time.

Brambles - 2014-01-31 9:07 PM

Wonderful trip. Just looked up Camping Grubhof. I assume I am correct it is near Lofer. Wonderful area..just watching (and listening to music) on campsite webpage.

http://www.grubhof.com/en/comfort-camping-holidays/holiday-region-map/videos-of-lofer.html

Awwwwww, I want to be there now..just love the moutains of Austria, the towns and the people.

It's the music on the videos which has got me all nostalgic and yearning to go back NOW and not in 5 months time.

Yes, that's the one.

This will be our seventh European trip in four years of motorhoming and we are still getting excited while we are planning it. The help we get from this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Thanks folks.

I suspect there will be others on here who disagree, but anyway.....

Bled was a very pleasant place to visit, and the walk all the way round the lake was delightful, BUT, the campsite was absolutely heaving when we were there; not very relaxing and not the type of site we would (ideally) look for.

We used the site at Bohinjska Bistrica instead, which is maybe some 12 miles away, and though also quite busy, much more spacious and relaxed. There is a regular bus service to Bled, and a rather less regular train service (we used the former to get there, and the latter to get back) both of which are very cheap. Facilities are good, and the little town has everything you could need.

It also positions you well to visit Lake Bohinj, which is somewhat different to Bled, and very attractive (though the site at the head of the lake was, again, very packed, and with many trees and non-delineated pitches, not the best for finding a decent pitch).

Guest JudgeMental
Bled campsite is fine, it is a transitory one night stop so every morning looks a bit bleak, but full by the evening. We swam in lake, had a few beers and meal at the lake side bar..cycled around the lake..whats not to like! the scenery is lovely.....

Brambles - 2014-01-31 7:39 PM

So in effect are you also saying then it is a pity they built the motorways and they would have been better off without all the new roads and hence no tolls.

No. That's just your interpretation of what i wrote.

What i actually said was it's a pity the charges are so high....among the highest in Europe, but hits the Slovenian national a lot harder than tourists such as ourselves.

Average gross salaried income for Slovenian is £1200. They pay £82 a year for their Vignette. By comparison a Swiss average salary is four or five times more.....yet pay just £26 a year for their Vignette.

Slovenia first introduced their Vignette in 2008. Much of the motorway network had been in place long before then.

Archived