Licence Categories

Madmaggott

I'm sure that there will be a knowledgeable individual on here who can advise on the categories on mine and my husbands drivings licences (plastic) which have just come back after going to DVLA for change of address?

Mine:  A; GH

Husbands: GH

I passed my car test in 1972 and my husband passed car test in 1963 and his motorbike test in the same year.

Right, I've found out the answer so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else wants to know.  The A on my licence is not an entitlement but an exception showing that I can only ride a 3 wheeled motorcycle. So the absence of the A shows my husband's full motorcycle entitlement. 
Easy when you know!

Madmaggott - 2014-01-31 1:39 PM

Right, I've found out the answer so I thought I'd post it in case anyone else wants to know.  The A on my licence is not an entitlement but an exception showing that I can only ride a 3 wheeled motorcycle. So the absence of the A shows my husband's full motorcycle entitlement. 

Easy when you know!

The 'vehicle categories' that relate to the entitlements shown on the latest photocard driving licence are described here

http://tinyurl.com/noq94mx

Earlier categories are shown here

https://www.gov.uk/old-driving-licence-categories

I think the "A; GH" and "GH" categories you refer to are on the paper part of your licence, not on the plastic photocard part. Wherever they are, I believe you'll find that they relate to provisional-entitlements rather than being 'exceptions'.

Both you and your husband have provisional entitlements to learn to drive "G" (Road-rollers) and "H" (Tracked vehicles) vehicle categories. Additionally, you have an "A" provisional entitlement to learn to ride a motorcycle.

Your husband does not need a provisional entitlement to learn to ride a motorcycle because he obtained a full motorcycle entitlement in 1963. This entitlement should be shown in the "A" section on the rear of the photocard part of his licence.

Both of you are probably entitled to ride/drive a motor tricycle or quadbike weighing up to 550kg under the "B1" entitlement you both would have acquired when you passed the car driving-test. The "B1" entitlement should be shown on the photocard part of both of your driving licences.

Archived