Thule - Omni-bike rack

Pipkim

We have a Knaus fitted Eurocarry bike rack on our Sun Ti.

Knaus now fit the Thule Omni-bike racks as standard.

Does anyone have any experience of this type? It appears to be very similar in that it is tubular aluminium and looks quite a solid unit.

Thanks in anticipation

PilgrimPhil

Guest JudgeMental

Is this on a coachbuilt? My omni sport 2 door (for a panel van) was/is a pile of crap...2nd replacement one (had to threaten them with court under the sales of goods act) no better..they truly are rubbish....Maybe CB models better I don't know. but I would go for a tow bar mounted rack. Have just ordered my next van and that has the busbiker NL swing out bike rack..expensive but a proper piece if kit

edit: have red post properly and it is a CB :-S Have you decent bikes? how are you going to secure them on a rack that can be cut through in a minute with a hacksaw. if cheap bikes it dont matter so much.

Thanks for that response.

Our bikes aren't "special" by any means - we paid £200 for each of them in 2005, so probably don't "owe" us much now.

I have yet to actually see the Thule bike carrier in the flesh but it is shown on the back of a Knaus in their brochure.

Pity they don't still do the Eurocarry one - it has worked well for us and the only problem has been when I went over a hump back bridge too fast & one of the bolts sheared off - luckily we were only 2 miles from home with bikes dangling off the back, held on by one bolt & the security cable!

PilgrimPhil

Guest JudgeMental
you can get much better german racks but they ain't cheap..to be honest your bikes aren't worth stealing so any rack will do :-D

Hi Phi

Looks like you are getting closer to the Knaus as a replacement for the Knaus eh?

I think I told you when we got our elec bikes we looked at the towbar mounted version of the Thule rack. It was undoubtedly a hefty piece of kit - with a hefty price tag too. But we did want a towbar mounted one that you can tilt back to give access to the rear boot without taking it and the bikes off.

In the end we bought one from Riversway Leisure made by Towsure - the Diamante. So far it has proved very good at about half the price (£225) of the Thule one although it is not quite as robust.

Let us know when the big decision is made!

David

Archived