Hiring motorhomes

Lizzy

We have looked at several sites for hiring so that we can 'try before we buy'. But by the time we can collect the van - [often on a friday afternoon or evening] - get going, pay for the hire - then it has to be returned valleted by the next friday morning [so we lose a day's travelling to get home in time to Hoover out] ......... the cheapest for a week in March was £450! I could have a really GOOD time ina hotel for that :-D Has anyone hired first? We did test drive a caravan behind our Volvo estate and didn't like the sway one bit - hubby was green for 3 days afterwards (lol)

Even so, £450 is a lot less than £30,000 plus for a 'van you don't like, and is loads cheaper that finding you don't like motorhoming at all after you've bought one!

We hired first, for a week, just to be sure the 'van worked for us, and that we would take to motorhoming.  It didn't solve all the problems, but we had a weeks holiday as well, so it wasn't total penury!  If you don't speculate, you don't accumulate - or something along those lines!

Try motorholme.com or is it .co.uk ? I can never remember. My van is rented out through them and most times we arrange collection / delivery to suit both parties - as for the cleaning - I don't expect to clean the toilet after others have used it ! But so long as its not disgustingly dirty there's no problem .

[QUOTE]Lizzy - 2006-09-01 8:33 AM If we buy a motorhome and find out we don't use it as often as planned, what are the logistics of hiring it out mainly to friends? Do any of you hire out your private 'homes?[/QUOTE] Yup, I hire out mine through Motorholme and Hire Buddies. It's not easy and you don't make a lot of money, but it is possible to cover some of your yearly expenses. However you don't want to be 'touchy' about your motorhome being away with somebody else. They generally don't treat your motorhome with particular care, so you have to be prepared to put some work in to keep it really nice. A system is in place to cover damage costs, but it is still a bit 'difficult' sometimes! Anyway, I have a beautiful 5 Berth Bessacarr E435 available for hire based in Southwest Scotland.....if you're interested! Jimmy

Lizzy, Firmly believe it is the best thing to do to see if you will like a particular type of van or not. Some hirers even offer to refund hire fees if you buy a van from them. If the hire vehicle is 6 - 12 months old, you can see what your purchase may look like after your 5 years use as Hirers will tend to abuse. David

• 2 weeks later...
Guest PartOwner
Hi Lizzy, You may not of heard of us as we are a relatively new company, but have you considered a part-ownership scheme as opposed to just all out hiring? Some of the advantages are the low costs involved for a share in a top spec motorhome which you enjoy as your own vehicle; you will only share with 3 other owners (maximum), and you get back a quarter or a half share of the vehicle 'as sold' price after 4 years (minus our small commission) - this avoids you and the other share owners abusing the vehicle like a hire vehicle. If you are interested, more details can be found on our website at: http://www.partowners.com P.S. - Please let us know what you think of the idea in general too - we would like to get some feedback...! Steve

Hello to Partowner, I know a friend in a flying club and due to the obvious expense of small aircraft, he has become a part owner, along with 10 others and with the running/maintainance costs shared........... he can carry on his love of flying. I have always thought that, unless full timing, most motorhomes are sitting unused probably 50% of their lives. I'm sure this idea could work, but only with true MH lovers. John

Guest PartOwner
Hi John, (Sorry to Lizzie fo going slightly 'off topic'!) - Yes, we also thought about offering share schemes in light aircraft, and boats too... but we saw a gap in the market with expensive brand new luxury motorhomes. We spend two years researching and arranging Terms and Conditions as well as arranging insurance cover - more difficult than we first thought! Our biggest problem now is advertising and getting potential motorhome part owners to get used to the idea, as it appears to be a fairly new concept in the UK... If you are not a motorhome 'full timer', and only use your motorhome a few times a year, we think it can be a great alternative to hiring or buying a vehicle outright... and definately at a lower cost! Steve

It sounds a good idea! I even suggested this to Hubby and 2 couples we are friends with as they are the same age group as we are and keen on a camper but like us, don't know how often it would get used. The biggest problem was sorting out insurance cover - who would pay how much etc.. But Hubby isn't keen - yet. We do a lot of archery and he feels we would probably hog it on the weekends others want to use it! *-) As for advertising - how about in your library or council offices on their notice boards? Or amongst the Ramblers Association in your area - there may be members who would like to venture further? Where are you planning on being based?

Guest PartOwner
Hi Lizzy - If you and hubby were to purchase a half share in a Hymer C, B or even an S class via our website, you will find that ALL INSURANCE IS INCLUDED, (as long as you are over 25) as well as the rolling calendar to when you can use your vehicle (This saves arguments and makes it fair for all!) - All is explained in detail on our website at: *snip* Michele - We are currently advertising in this months 'Which Motorcaravan' magazine - See our ad near the back of the magazine. As we are an internet based venture, the Motorhomes purchased via the website can be stored at the nearest site to the group buyers - again, this is explained in detail on our website. Thanks for the advice - we have only had the website launched for a few weeks, and trying to advertise it nationally but cost effectively is proving more difficult than we thought! Maybe we should start a new thread asking what others think of the idea! Steve

Well I,m not sure what they would see it as .Take no notice of me I know nothing as said on many occassions ....Why dont you pop up on to the not so serious chit & chat , ? if you are just talking about it in a general chat session ? Then I,m not sure what they would could or want to say . You could e mail them direct no harm in asking if you are allowed to chat about it. In saying that I have never actually seen anyone sell/ promote anything on here so maybe ............................................. Ask them on a thread adressed to them and then they would give you their thoughts on it . you don't get no where if you don't try? you never know when you become big you might be able to take out full page spreads with them . Now wouldn't that be nice good luck with your new company michele

I have both solo-owned and part-owned various gliders and powered aircraft. The right ownership syndicate works well and, since so much of the annual costs of operating an aircraft are fixed (hangerage, insurance, annual maintenance visit), greater use significantly reduces the cost per hour for everyone. The normal scheme is to have a monthly fixed charge to cover the fixed costs and a charge per hour 'wet' (i.e., including fuel) for airtime to cover fuel and hourly maintenance charges for the 50 hour checks. However there is one big difference between an aircraft and a motorhome: the former cannot be modified in any way whatever without it being done by a qualified, CAA certified engineer. So most aircraft have no 'special' additions. Every motorhome we've owned has had fairly significant additions made to it, from cupboard shelves and shower screens to solar panels, extra batteries and electrics. It is, after all, our 'home from home'. And this 'personalisation' is a key reason (as well as, typically, low mileage) why owners keep their motorhomes much longer than they do cars. This would be much less worthwhile in a motorhome only kept for 4 years. And I don't know how you decide who gets it for the winter months in Spain or Morocco this year . . . .

Archived