My first motorhome was...

Charabanc

Bedford CA ex-Ambulance - 1500cc Petrol Engine with column change gearbox. Similar capability as Charabanc's (on a good day LOL) but it was back in 1970 & the vehicle was already 6 years old on it's 2nd engine.

No problems with DAMP, so they can be built. Aluminium sides GRP roof, with GRP internal panels on a greenheart timber frame.

Oooooo a lovely original Commer Autosleeper camper van which we got in 1996 which we called Marmajuke (MMJ reg), a beautiful thing, but a bit toooooooo wee for us and the dogs! So we bought an ex-ambulance (Ford 3 litre petrol engine) in 1997 which I converted and was absolutely lovely ... probably why I like the large back doors of our current camper! :-D

Guest JudgeMental
In 1974 a VW T2 van VERY roughly converted...it got us as far as Crete and died. came back on coach penniless after a fantastic 4 months away :D

Guest pelmetman

1979 V reg Fiat Amigo bought in 84........... it was 4 berth 8-)............

and was always breaking down *-).................progress eh? :D...........

Caddies104 - 2014-01-31 11:05 PM

Suntor Low Profile, great first van, 30mpg, but after 7 years got fed up with making up the bed at Night, and wanted a garage for the Electric bikes.... Autotrail Fitted the Bill..... Love it..

MelB reminded us above was not our first Van. We had in 1980 a Commer Caravanette, enjoyed it back then but with Children on the way, gave up for a few years, 26 in fact....

I started with a posh one and still got it Hymer Tramp 654 SL Gold Edition.

It's going, now to be replaced with an A Class.

Been camping in one form or another since I was 15, worked our way up slowly, various tents, trailer tent, folding camper & caravans.

K reg Transit V4 converted in 1978 with high top roof and windows fitted and all internal cabinet work designed and fitted by yours truly. Took us all (family) down to Spain for several years running. No electronic gizmos then, great memories. :->

As a kid, Dad bougtht a Bedford Dormobile, reg RYD512.as Kids , we ended up in clapped out tent.

Once grown up and married with our own family we indulged in a VW T2 with popup roof, Devon Conversion.

7 years it lasted before kids got too old for the bunks in roof, so went over to caravan/car.

tony g3nwl

Lenny, which A-class? Another Hymer?

My first motorhome was an Elddis Voyager on a Talbot. We called it 'The Trundler' because it was slow and steady. We loved the growl of the engine on our first trip away with it. Less so on the way back when a few other bolts dropped on to the road and we discovered the growl was because the engine wasn't mounted properly.

We told the kids the gear lever was a magic wand that we had to wave about from time to time to keep the van going.

Only had it for a year and traded in for a new Swift with proper passenger seatbelts and higher luton cab roofline.

First van was H reg Toyota Hi Ace, we threw a mattress in the back for our 2girls and went to the South of France. We needed breakfast so pulled onto what we thought was spare land, wife got the frying pan, bacon, eggs, and started to make breakfast, at this point I realised it was not spare land but someonrs building plot. so I said to the wife, im going to reverse the van off the land, but I reversed into a culvert with the rear wheels hanging over the edge. Said to the wife were knackered, she carried on cooking and said aye you will sort it, which I did, Frenchies were driving past and shouting Bon Appetite.!!

Priceless!!!!

Archived