My first motorhome was...

Charabanc

First van was H reg Toyota Hi Ace, we threw a mattress in the back for our 2girls and went to the South of France. We needed breakfast so pulled onto what we thought was spare land, wife got the frying pan, bacon, eggs, and started to make breakfast, at this point I realised it was not spare land but someonrs building plot. so I said to the wife, im going to reverse the van off the land, but I reversed into a culvert with the rear wheels hanging over the edge. Said to the wife were knackered, she carried on cooking and said aye you will sort it, which I did, Frenchies were driving past and shouting Bon Appetite.!!

Priceless!!!!

Mine was a 1988 Autosleeper Talisman on a 2litre Talbot Petrol. a really solid van, unfortunately the 'Talbot bit' wasn't, and was slowly rusting before my eyes, I replaced all the metal panels in the cab, Bonnet/both front wings/both doors/ front grille panel and was about to change the Scuttle panel, When we saw an Autocruise Starlet 2, and fell in love.

Sold the Autosleeper for almost as much as we paid for it, but we HAD spent a bit on it.

It was a good starter van, and didn't 'break the bank'. Ray

My first van in 1984, I'm only on my second van now, was a 1966 vw split screen van which I loved but only did about 17 mpg, had 6 volt lights which were rubbish, it took me to my fell races and archery competitions until I pxed it for a little Citroen car with Roger Hotchkiss who gave me £50 in px (what a robber he is and what a fool I was). Whatever, I love my 1999 Hymer and its just behaved faultlessly bringing me 1,400 miles to Spain, lovely relaxed 2,8 engine.

Lenny, I have a Hymer 504 B Class. Was tempted by the Exsis but my bus driving brother advocates shorter and wider [within reason]. They don't import the 504 B Class any more unless on special order.

I bought a new Arto in 2000 when they were c£35,000, outstanding value for money and cheaper than a Hymer. Initially we had a few build issues, possibly because of a poor PDI. The whole family loved the van. It suited us down to the ground. We changed after 5 years as it was our silver wedding anniversary. Paul Kershaw , who was responsible for bringing Niesmann's into this country at Hymer UK Preston, did a better deal on a Hymer for us. We all have fond memories of the Arto and if we had the money, would buy another. Hymer have killed off that dream by pushing the Arto up market so it doesn't compete with the core Hymer products.

1971 VW T2 'bay'. Drove and slept in it everywhere - Through Europe even as far as Greece as a 20-something surf bum. I think it was a Danbury - factory camper conversion from new and very comfortable it was too.

I still have a VW camper today, (there have been at least 15 other aircooled VW's in my life)

Current one is a Westfalia pop-top as a bit of a toy for the odd weekend and VW shows and we've driven this one to Greece too.

Note: - old VW's do NOT like the Alps! Even Norfolk hills make them break out in a sweat.

Oh... and I'm still a surf bum at 53

1005771689_Snowy100kb.jpg.c25f70678f673ded69d53913e48ab8dc.jpg

Brock - 2014-02-02 10:00 AM

Lenny, I have a Hymer 504 B Class. Was tempted by the Exsis but my bus driving brother advocates shorter and wider [within reason]. They don't import the 504 B Class any more unless on special order.

They don't import the Exsis i678 either but I wouldn't pay the rip off UK prices for a Hymer anyway buying from same Belgium dealer we brought the current van from.

UJJ118J (I think) 1971 Dormobile Deauville on a Bedford CF panel van, 1600cc petrol. We bought it in 1978/9 and sold it on in 1986.It used to carry 4 adults and 4 children and towed a trailer containing an awning, a frame tent and toilet tent, plus all the bits that came with them plus fibreglass sailing dinghy on top! Notable trips were to North Wales, North Devon and Brittany. The chap we bought it from used it to tow a trailer carrying a stock car! They don't make them like that any more!

j

j

A Dethleffs BUS 2. We bought it new (ex demonstrator) in October 2003. We loved the build quality and the Alko chassis which meant that it cornered like a sports car. We probably should have kept it longer but we fell in love with the Hymer Van 522 at the earls Court Show in 2005.

A 1972 VW T2 with pop up roof, Devon Sundowner Conversion. Blue and White.

The bunks and pop top curtains were still in their cellophane wrapping even after 10 years, and less than 25k on the clock, running on crossply tyres. Probably worth more than our current van looking at the stupid prices being asked now. :-S

David

A 1964  4 berth split screen VW 6 volt electrics , it ran well too, Family out grew it and sold it for £250, would be worth a fortune now. we then moved up to a Bedford CF Bedouin, cant remember what the converter was. It was all fibreglass apart from bonnet and doors, it was a five berth, a double at the back a double at the front ,driver and Passenger seat folded back to make up the front double ,and a single slung between the passenger and drivers door Jambs, mid  L shaped kitchen with partition dividing front from rear , I actually fitted a Laycock DeVille overdrive unit from a Vauxhall VX490 to the gearbox on the Bedford CF More MPG, apart from when it rained and the plugs got a soaking ,it being an inclined engine. then 4 more VWs before caravanning the back to CB Motorhomes, what we have stayed with.

It was 2004 Lance Lance Lite 845 SHORTBOX with White Baked-Enamel Aluminum Exterior.And Radius Sliding Windows with Screens, Front Cabover Safety Glass Window, Sliding Pass-Through Windo, Awning, Side, Front Rub Strips and many accessories. And i still love it.

Corky 8 - 2014-02-03 6:44 PM

A 1964  4 berth split screen VW 6 volt electrics , it ran well too, Family out grew it and sold it for £250, would be worth a fortune now.

Don't remind us we have probably all done something like that I remember selling a Split Windscreen Convertible Morris Minor for £20. :-(

it was a fiat amigo my wife thought we were getting a type 2 v dub!! how wrong she was!! and with the two of us and our three kids, towing a trailer, we set off for ten days in north wales aug 86 one of the worst summers on record.

as the van was so small i had purchased an ex hire tent 17ft square in which we were to sleep in while using the camper for cooking etc. the first day was spent just getting there as at a max 50mph towing the trailer, it took a long time!! the weather was appalling and we spent the first two nights in the fiat crammed in like srdines in a small tin can!! we finally got the tent up on the third day, so elated, went out for the the day to explore. came back to find the tent had blown down and our belonings scattered all over the camp site so called it a day and wet, fed up, set off back home to hampshire, only to have the wretched thing throw the drive shaft on the road behind us it put us off anything to do with camping of any sort for 10 yrs!!

yet here we are again only now with an american rv!! from one exteme size to the other!!

pete

Guest pelmetman

I'm not surprised it broke down ;-).................But you towed a trailer with a fiat amigo???? 8-) 8-).................

(lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

An early 1950s Bedford CA Dormobile pop top panel van which we paid the grand sum of £10 for in 1964 and because it was a non runner we towed it the 35 miles home from near Redhill down the old A23 to Brighton with a Mini Cooper S.

It never ever went as fast again under it's own 'power'!

Where have those 50 years gone!!

Thewad - 2014-02-06 2:20 PM

A swift kontiki 645 2007, I know it's not as romantic as some but I only bought it last week and is my first one B-)

Welcome Malcolm, and don't worry, there's nothing unromantic about a KonTiki. One day, when either the oil has run out or when even in France we're all confined to expensive campsites, you can tell your grandchildren about the golden age of motorhoming - and you'll know you were part of it.

laimeduck - 2014-02-01 8:54 AM

Martin Walter 1958/9 Bedford CA Dormobile.

Did several trips in this black porthole model, the first of three Bedford CA Dormobiles we had in 1958 to 1975. Toured each summer either to Italy, Spain, Portugal or Yugoslavia.

I knew I had a picture of it somewhere! Off to the showroom to be traded in for a newer model in about 1961/2

dormobile.thumb.jpg.5c931466e979aed98c7b86d038550618.jpg

Archived