Is Murcia FULL? Mid Feb - end March.

snowie

Setting off for Spain in a couple of weeks, It's our first time seeking winter sun, so no previous experience to call on. Just about to book ferries. Haven't booked any sites in Spain.

Question: We keep reading on this forum that sites are full.

Are we likely to find any sites that have space for us; on spec? Not interested in "Wilding"

It's looking risky.

Any info/advice will be appreciated,

If you are down there now how are sites?

alan b

Guest pelmetman

Lo Monte has been busy........although the odd space is starting to appear for a day or two ;-) .......

There are other sites that are not so packed, but by the time you get here I suspect some will be on the move,as many tend to hold up on one site for 3 months to get the best discount :-> .....

Calpemar you often need to book, although there is another site in Calpe that normally has space, but the facilities are not as good, although the pitches are bigger :-|

In general though I'd be surprised if you struggled to find anywhere to stay 8-) ............

JudgeMental - 2014-02-02 1:41 PM

why dont you just book one....

Hi Judge; the main reason is that we like to shop around, and as we've not been to the area with the van we've absolutely no idea what's available.

There seem to have been more reports of sites being very busy this year than previously; so getting a bit twitchy.

alan b

Will be following you down on 25th February and this posting has been very helpful. We considered Le Monte however they would only consider a booking for a weeks minimum with a deposit of about 90% and as it is not our intention to stay long on sites but to travel about, did not book.

What I have done is followed the booking process through, to an extent, on a number of sites and have yet to get a full notification.

Although not my preferred site I have kept in mind La Manga Eco which is a huge site and I am sure there will be spaces. It is an excellent site with all the facilities but unless you have alternative transport is a bit remote.

Will be keeping an eye on this posting so any information is very much appreciated.

Guest JudgeMental
snowie - 2014-02-02 1:49 PM

Hi Judge; the main reason is that we like to shop around, and as we've not been to the area with the van we've absolutely no idea what's available.

There seem to have been more reports of sites being very busy this year than previously; so getting a bit twitchy.

alan b

So you want to go to this site but dont know how long you want to stay is that it? How long are you away for...Personally would just book the week and chill then move on or whatever...., Or if a whistle stop tour just wing it, you will get in somewhere. We like benidorm because its cheap and alive all year round, but i dont know what this area is like but have read many times other resorts dead out of season?

Guest pelmetman

Eddie has a point......... if you like a lively area with a bit of nightlife, then Benedorm, Alicante, Calpe etc are the places to go.................we tend to prefer it quieter which is why Pilar suits us, there's a dozen or so restaurants that are open within walking distance along with a supermarket :D.........

But as first timers then having no fixed agenda is best in my view................booking is only necessary if you want a particular site for a few months over the Christmas and early winter period..............as an example we are on the waiting list for next year here..............as we left it too late 8-)..................

JudgeMental - 2014-02-02 2:52 PM

snowie - 2014-02-02 1:49 PM

alan b

So you want to go to this site but dont know how long you want to stay is that it? How long are you away for...Personally would just book the week and chill then move on or whatever...., Or if a whistle stop tour just wing it, you will get in somewhere. We like benidorm because its cheap and alive all year round, but i dont know what this area is like but have read many times other resorts dead out of season?

I suppose this is a recce for future winter breaks.

If we had been at this time of year and had found sites that we like we would have made bookings.

I'm not planning to move the van more than 3 times once on the coast. It's not a touring holiday. Six weeks total, so probably 4 weeks relaxation, ideally on the coast . If public transport not good then we'll hire a car and do some sightseeing. Reading, sketching and painting, that's the bones of a plan.

Taking an awning to increase our space, so not going to up sticks too often ; but who knows?

Thanks for suggestions; I'll probably post progress reports if anything helpful to say

regards

alan b

I don't know if Murcia b full, but we head to Benidorm where u always get a site, most people head into El Raco, we personaly go into Villimar, lovely site with indoor heated pool, club house n spotless. They offer reduced rates for4 weeks, but as I say plenty sites, and u can walk to beach n shops, or take local bus to the lovely villages of alfaz, albir n altea, or go the other way to La Cala. or Villijoysa.0r trains available, for Alicante n Valencia. also car hire very cheap till April. we drove to Murcia four weeks ago from Albir, approx. 2 hours., have a great time. (lol)

horse444 - 2014-02-02 6:14 PM

I don't know if Murcia b full, but we head to Benidorm where u always get a site, most people head into El Raco, we personaly go into Villimar, lovely site with indoor heated pool, club house n spotless. They offer reduced rates for4 weeks, but as I say plenty sites, and u can walk to beach n shops, or take local bus to the lovely villages of alfaz, albir n altea, or go the other way to La Cala. or Villijoysa.0r trains available, for Alicante n Valencia. also car hire very cheap till April. we drove to Murcia four weeks ago from Albir, approx. 2 hours., have a great time. (lol)

Thanks for that Margaret; Villimar and the heated pool sounds good.

We've just booked the ferry so no going back!

Phew! it's getting exciting!

regards

alan b

Hi Alan,

Don't worry about getting on sites down here. We've been coming a number of years without reservations and haven't failed to get a pitch. The sites we use wont take a booking for a short period anyway. Also, plenty of them will let you wait, usually on their parking area, until a pitch is free if it is a busy time.

I've listed below just a few of the ones we've used over the winter period.

If we're driving down the Med. coast we often stop at this one first:

http://www.vilanovapark.com/?lang=EN

Further on there are some excellent sites to choose from in the Valencia region. Here are just two:

http://www.campingdidota.es/en/

http://www.bonterrapark.com/?idlengua=3

And, as has been said, you couldn't go far wrong in Benidorm. Or, alternatively, two other sites in the Alicante region run by the Marsh family:

http://www.campingmarjal.com

http://www.marjalcostablanca.com/en/

Enjoy your trip.

Tony Jones - 2014-02-02 11:42 PM

Couple of years ago we stayed on "Camperstop Murcia," few minutes out of town. Something between an aire and a campsite - EHU, basic shower block, about 12€ a night. Don't know if it's open all year though.

Thanks Tony; found reference to it on "Motorhome Fun"; we'll keep it in mind

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

So what route you taking Snowie..and what awning did you buy, I missed one on ebay yesterday :-S

All being well will be down there around Easter time...I like going when hot weather more or less guaranteed.

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2014-02-02 4:15 PM

I suppose this is a recce for future winter breaks.

If we had been at this time of year and had found sites that we like we would have made bookings.

I'm not planning to move the van more than 3 times once on the coast. It's not a touring holiday. Six weeks total, so probably 4 weeks relaxation, ideally on the coast . If public transport not good then we'll hire a car and do some sightseeing. Reading, sketching and painting, that's the bones of a plan.

Taking an awning to increase our space, so not going to up sticks too often ; but who knows?

Thanks for suggestions; I'll probably post progress reports if anything helpful to say

regards

alan b

Something to bear in mind if planning to stay put for a while ;-)................many of the pitches down here have on pitch drainage, water, EHU etc and sometimes wifi and satellite tv..............

So a length of "Elephants Willy" is useful to make use of the grey drainage, along with enough hose to reach the pitch tap...............probably 18 mtrs of both should be enough, as sods law usually dictates the services are at the opposite end to where you want pitch for the sun :D........

So if I went south in Spain looking for a SITE with no booking and no ideas apart from trying to find somewhere for a night or two. How are they advertised in the towns or on the roads.

This is assuming I have no site information at all and have never been to Spain before.

Or is it a matter of driving and driving and hoping to come across one.

Supermarkets are OK for food as numbers are numbers when buying but when eating out do all the owners and staff understand ALL languages?

Guest pelmetman
Will85 - 2014-02-03 9:16 AM

So if I went south in Spain looking for a SITE with no booking and no ideas apart from trying to find somewhere for a night or two. How are they advertised in the towns or on the roads.

This is assuming I have no site information at all and have never been to Spain before.

Or is it a matter of driving and driving and hoping to come across one.

Supermarkets are OK for food as numbers are numbers when buying but when eating out do all the owners and staff understand ALL languages?

In towns along the coast you will see the odd tent sign to indicate a campsite Will ..............although I'd be inclined to have some idea of the site I'm looking for by getting the ACSI book ;-)............

As for language.............I am fluent in the international language of speaking slowly and loudly in English whilst pointing...............I find they give in in the end :D........

Plus many speak English in the resorts anyway :->

We arrived at La Torreta in Benidorm yesterday and it is virtually full - completely full for larger vehicles I would say. We telephoned Calpemar on Saturday to be told that they are fully booked until March.

Incidentally Camping Lo Monte was full on Thursday with vehicles being given permission to camp in the car park until there are vacancies. Our friends got in on Thursday but have been asked to move pitch twice since their arrival.

Kind regards to all.

Mad Mitch.

JudgeMental - 2014-02-03 8:16 AM

So what route you taking Snowie..and what awning did you buy, I missed one on ebay yesterday :-S

All being well will be down there around Easter time...I like going when hot weather more or less guaranteed.

Hi Judge;

we are skirting around Paris, staying overnight at a campsite at Dreux (probably; 3 in this area ), then via Orleans-Limoges-Brive le Gaillard-Toulouse-Perpignan-Barcelona and south to Valencia/Murcia.

The route dictated by campsites en route; that are open, and the possibility of calling in on friends in Limoge area and Perpignanarea.

I finally found a "Quadrant" type awning, by Outdoor Revolution Compactalitite Pro 325 from World of Camping approx £250 I think, which I'm hoping will do the job. I can see it being tricky if trying to put up in a gale, but we had a go on the drive at the weekend and it was ok. It'll be easier in Spain I'm sure!

Photo attached.

The slider will open fully without dragging awning off side of van, and I'm hoping it's pretty aerodynamic; and substantial. It's a bit bigger than I would have liked but ticked most boxes. It weighs approx 21Kg

I've seen some that have inflatable "air-poles" for want of a better word, but they are too expensive (hope I don't regret penny-pinching), which are a better shape but I think would be heavier.

Easter sounds good, and to be honest if weather in Lincs are stays as it is I'll be wondering why we are going so early. A mild winter here would suit me fine.

Regards

alan b

1835624600_awning-forum.jpg.f53d656833089b8baad679bca1885676.jpg

Guest pelmetman
snowie - 2014-02-03 12:49 PM

I finally found a "Quadrant" type awning, by Outdoor Revolution Compactalitite Pro 325 from World of Camping approx £250 I think, which I'm hoping will do the job. I can see it being tricky if trying to put up in a gale, but we had a go on the drive at the weekend and it was ok. It'll be easier in Spain I'm sure!

Photo attached.

The slider will open fully without dragging awning off side of van, and I'm hoping it's pretty aerodynamic; and substantial. It's a bit bigger than I would have liked but ticked most boxes. It weighs approx 21Kg

I've seen some that have inflatable "air-poles" for want of a better word, but they are too expensive (hope I don't regret penny-pinching), which are a better shape but I think would be heavier.

Easter sounds good, and to be honest if weather in Lincs are stays as it is I'll be wondering why we are going so early. A mild winter here would suit me fine.

Regards

alan b

Take an iron Alan ;-)...................you'll soon get those wrinkles out (lol) (lol) (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

have been twice now..don't know if i fancy the Nov-Feb period to be honest...doubt its warm enough for me. late march - May..and september to beginning of November best IMO. when I left early November evenings were becoming decidedly chilly..whereas October was fantastic.

the awning looks OK and has carbon poles....but is not freestanding and while I don't move/use the van much at all in spain, I do drive it out sometimes, airport, sightseeing, LPG, etc..etc..so to taking it down every time I want to use the van would be a chore I suspect :-S

I'm just chasing the older style heavy drive away awnings on ebay..missed one the other day as new phones alarm failed to go off... but woke me at 3 am next morning! :-S

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2014-02-03 2:36 PM

I'm just chasing the older style heavy drive away awnings on ebay..missed one the other day as new phones alarm failed to go off... but woke me at 3 am next morning! :-S

See you know I talk sense sometimes Eddie ;-)................down here at this time of year something substantial is preferable :D............although by the time Alan arrives the worst of the gales should be over.......not that we've had anything like last year 8-)..............Yet :-S

Guest JudgeMental

new van a bit more spacious and to be honest dont even know if i will need the hassle of an awning :-|

might just get some sides for the roll out......

1634692410_UScamper.jpg.af13a113e19c45deba3f1e4bcdaa871e.jpg

Archived