Smart Tow or Towbars to Towcars?

P7EMO

Hi - new to motorhoming and I'm looking to tow a Fiat Panda behind my vehicle. I've read all about the changes to regs regarding inertia type A frames so I'm looking at an electronic version and have come across 2 who can supply within easy reach of NE England.

The problem is I have no idea how good they are.

Can anyone give me any feedback re the Smart Tow vacuum system or the Towbars toTowcars electronic system.

I have had the Towbars2Towcars system since June 2010 , fitted to my first toad then transferred to my present one , all I can say about it is that I have not had any problems at all , it works well and is light and easy to fit, and when its not on the car you can hardly tell it is a toad.

Recently I had them update the a frame part to there latest method of connecting to the car , and I can only praise them for their service and civility in all the dealing I have had with them

The other advantage for me is that I am quite close to their premises

JudgeMental - 2014-02-02 6:00 PM

lets see how you get in in europe with these......still not legal are they *-)

I sometimes take it to France with no trouble , but my main use is here in the uk when we are away for long periods , or we are staying where there are facilities nearby or on a bus route .

We are in a position to afford to have it whether we use it or not , which for many years with kids and things was not possible

And you should try not to be so Judgemental :-D :-D

Thanks Grandadbaza - that's a start,

The Europe thing is still vexing - I've caravanned around Europe since '96 and have seen countless MH a framing in France, Germany, Belgium and Holland and no-one has ever told me they've been fined other than some stories from Spain. Obviously the new Regs due this year may change this but will they be retrospective? According to both Companies their kit is compliant with current legislation and future proposals

P7EMO - 2014-02-02 6:57 PM

The Europe thing is still vexing - I've caravanned around Europe since '96 and have seen countless MH a framing in France, Germany, Belgium and Holland and no-one has ever told me they've been fined other than some stories from Spain. Obviously the new Regs due this year may change this but will they be retrospective? According to both Companies their kit is compliant with current legislation and future proposals

as much as I sing the praises of towcars , I would not buy for the future on what any supplier promised me , I am happy to pay my money and take my chance to tow around the UK and France but to buy for use in Spain I would wait for legislation cos 100 euro fine each time your stopped can be very expensive

Guest JudgeMental
Hmmm...smells like spam to me...many get fined in Spain in particular and elsewhere.. stop trying to fool others by promoting these things. and aren't they lightly to fail new 2014 UK regs as well?

JudgeMental - 2014-02-02 7:16 PM

Hmmm...smells like spam to me...many get fined in Spain in particular and elsewhere.. stop trying to fool others by promoting these things. and aren't they lightly to fail new 2014 UK regs as well?

Sorry I gave up eating Spam many years ago didn't realise it was still on sale :-S

I am starting A-Framing this year, bought a 'nearly new' Car-A-Tow frame, and am having our car (a Toyota Yaris) converted this Month. This uses a standard inertia braking system, I have been doing 'personal' research over the last 3 years, asking ALL people I came into contact with, Which system they used, How reliable, any Downsides, any nasty experiences, would they recommend a type or a dealer. It was very Enlightening, everyone said it was the BEST way to take a car with you on holiday, mainly due to the easy storage, Didn't get any negative reports at all (well over 100, I WAS a pain in the Arxx) and everyone was willing to share their experiences.

Honest : if I COULD use a trailer, I probably would, they are not THAT more expensive than the A-Framing Kit (new) especially the electronic kit you are talking about, and there IS the problem of Spain, where it's not the A-Frame that is illegal but the very ACT of towing one vehicle with another.

BUT, I can't as my Van doesn't have enough weight allowance for towing a trailer AND a car on it.

But there are plenty of good, reasonably cheap 2nd hand transporter trailers about. For me though, A Framing is fine.

When I was in the USA, virtually Every RV was towing a car or 4x4, on an A-Frame.So, it's safe enough. Ray

The changes that will impact on the inertia-braking methodology traditionally used on the A-frames employed by most UK motorcaravanners to tow cars are unlikely to be applied retrospectively. The changes' primary effect will be to inhibit A-frame suppliers from marketing products with an inertia-braking system.

A non-inertia-braked A-frame sidesteps potential reversing problems that have made the practice legally questionable in the UK, but I see no reason why this should affect - positively or negatively - the legality of A-framing in other countries. As the A-framing practice is considered by Spanish authorities to be illegal for all motorists driving in Spain, A-framing there with a non-inertia-braked system will be no more permissible than with an inertia-braked system.

(Let's be in no doubt, A-framing UK motorcaravanners have been fined in Spain and have reported this to motorhome magazines/clubs and on internet forums. It would be startlingly naive to believe that, if one chose to A-frame in Spain, there would be no risk of being fined or, if stopped by the Spanish police, that it would be straightforward to argue one's way out of a fine.)

Ive just been reading on another MH forum some-one had been stopped and made to unhook the car when they were in Spain, and an on the spot fine of over 100euro which had to be paid on either a credit/debit card the police produced a card machine :-S the wife wasn't at all pleased at having to follow her O.H and was very nervous I believe.

So Judgemental was only telling you how it is :-D Don't shoot the messenger.

maggyd - 2014-02-04 1:11 PM

Ive just been reading on another MH forum some-one had been stopped and made to unhook the car when they were in Spain, and an on the spot fine of over 100euro which had to be paid on either a credit/debit card the police produced a card machine :-S the wife wasn't at all pleased at having to follow her O.H and was very nervous I believe.

So Judgemental was only telling you how it is :-D Don't shoot the messenger.[/

original poster asked for info on 2 different systems not legalities of Spain-stick to topic!QUOTE]

Guest JudgeMental
sorry but I smell a rat..most of us sick to death with this nonsense anyway. and recently we had a similar situation? someone pops up,mentions the product, within minutes up pops a reply, and its the same old same old! Always from peps i dont recognise at all..highly suspicious deceitful promotion I think!

I would just get an inertia braked one and save a large wadge of cash. The electronic ones are way overpriced , and no better at braking the car.

P7EMO - 2014-02-05 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the posts but I'm really after comparisons between the 2 products - so far its 2-0 to T2T. Anyone using Smart Tow?

You may be out of luck asking for practical advice on this forum regarding the "Smart Tow" system.

One long-term forum member (DWC66) was having a Smart Tow system fitted in late-2012

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/A-Frames-or-Trailers-/28194/61/

but his most recent forum logon was in June 2013.

Your best bet for seeking "Smart Tow" feedback would probably be via the MotorHomeFacts and/or MotorHomeFun forums, as there are comments there on the system. For example

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-126343-smart-tow-smart-box-duo-electronic-braking.html

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftopic-87175-days0-orderasc-0.html

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/motorhome-chat/71215-frames-2.html

(If you want to explore what "Smart Tow" stuff is on those forums, use GOOGLE Advanced Search.)

Realistically, you are very unlikely to find any motorcaravanner who can give you unbiased 'in use' practical-experience advice on BOTH systems. People will choose one or other system based on research, advertising, price, etc. and will then be in a position to comment on their chosen system's pros and cons - but that's not really what you want (I think). The chances are minimal that you'll find a motorcaravanner who has used both systems and can provide head-to-head comparison advice.

Both systems use a traditional A-frame to tow the car, so there's no reason to expect one system to be better than the other regarding towing. The braking methodology differs between the systems, and an explanation is provided on each suppler's website. If you have fine-detail questions, each supplier should be able to answer them.

Hi,

we did indeed have the Smart Tow system installed, after seeing it on a Smart car at a show. We wanted to get a Smart and their system was a neat install ( no trailing wires from within the engine bay) compact, not very heavy and their fitting centres suited our location better.

We only ever wanted the system for use in this country, due to the road access in some of our regions ( West Country, Wales, Scotland etc). No need in our view abroad as much more geared to motorhomes and accepting of same.

Since having it installed it does what it says on the tin, is easy to set up ( once ) and once rolling you dont know its there.

So all in all we have been pleased with the sytem.

Archived