Newbie one day full timer

The wandering manc

Guest pelmetman

Spend 5k on the camper and have 65k in beer tokens.....................at worst ;-)

Or discover a nice life and sell your 5k camper for 6k in the summer B-)

As per ss, I always say to those with zero experiance, hire first before lashing out loads of dosh, doesn't mean you are 100% guaranteed to get a purchase right, but at least you stand a chance of getting something you can live with for a while, or you could do as dave says and buy cheap to learn the ropes then if you sell on less to lose.

Decide exactly how and when you are going to use it and what you need from it. We spend many months in ours (more than in the house) so good beds, room to move and lots and lots of wine and beer storage!!!!!!!! Seriously though its different strokes for different folks. Big vans cost more to run, park etc but give more space for long term use. Ours is 8mtrs but then again we are not 8st either. Don't rush, Took us 2 years before we finally decided. Happy hunting.

Decide exactly how and when you are going to use it and what you need from it. We spend many months in ours (more than in the house) so good beds, room to move and lots and lots of wine and beer storage!!!!!!!! Seriously though its different strokes for different folks. Big vans cost more to run, park etc but give more space for long term use. Ours is 8mtrs but then again we are not 8st either. Don't rush, Took us 2 years before we finally decided. Happy hunting.

Eyup wandering manc I had plans to full time in our arapaho we loved that van sadly circumstances forced our sale ,but when the time is right that's the van I'd full time in although I do like hobby toskana 750 just my personal choice am sure there's plenty of others with different ones :also I to suggest you hire before you buy it's surprising what you discover you'd prefer to have/not have good luck pp

Looking again at your post you don't actually say that you are a newbie to motorhoming, but do say you are to forums.

If you are a newbie to motorhoming, then what suits somebody else might not necessary suit you, if on otherhand you have some experience then stating your preferred layout would get more relevant results.

Hi wandering manc & welcome to the forum

IMHO you need to get out & see the many varied layouts in the market place. Missed the Manchester show, but NEC later this month, should give you a flavour of what's available, but visit as many showrooms as possible. This will give you an idea of "WHAT YOU THINK YOU WANT" Make a list of "must have", "would like" & "don't want". Once that decision is made, that's the time to look for a hire vehicle or two.. Which will redefine your list, then you will be in a much better position to identify what's available to suit YOUR requirements.

Good hunting, but buy with the head, not the heart.

We are also newbie's and we have had our motorhome for about 6 month's now.

The most important thing is make sure you get the right layout for your needs.

We had put a deposit on tag axle rear lounge motorhome but after the deal fell through we took our time to look at other different layouts.

In the end we went for rear single beds at the rear and lounge up front and we love it (also a tag axle).

We also went with a motorhome with a winter pack, alde heating etc, which if you intend to spend a lot of time in your motorhome is well worth the pennies.

There are so many different layouts out there, but take your time and choose the best one that will suit your needs. Good luck.

Thank you all so much for your positive comments it's been a real help...after spending 4 nights a week away from home for the past 15 years..(truck driver!). I am finding it hard to justify a mortgage, council tax and all the rest of it for some where I spend so little time. If this is going to happen I've set myself a 12 month target.. So plenty of time to do my homework..just the freedom and flexibility alone is a massive incentive in its self.. Thanks again for your input x

You really do need to try different layouts before splashing out that amount of cash as getting it wrong will cost you many thousands of £££££s.

Hire at least one, and preferably a second, of the largest vans you can find and see how you get on with them for at least a long weekend comparing and contrasting as you go.

And unless you want to get a load of spam or worse from the ne'er do wells that frequent these forums you might consider removing your email address from your profile as anyone who wants to contact you individually can still do so with safety via the private message facility?

You don't say where you live but there may well be dealers or motorhome hire companies near you, or that you know of in your travels, or can find via Google, so as good a place as any to start is by talking to them and seeing what they can offer?

We have full-timed for many years,all in self built moterhomes because of finances,i agree you must have a comfortable fixed bed,and then of course plenty of storage and lounging space for when the weather is crap,we ended up in a fifth wheeler which i know is not relevant to your question but suits us for now,but i do miss the freedom a motorhome gives to just head off on a whim,we have to do a bit of planning when we take the unit away now

I was very impressed with this that was on the Motorhome chanel

Andy Harris reviews a Winnebago Via, imported by Stingray RV

and it was no way like 70.000 Im sure it was a tad under 53.000 it had slide outs and under 7mts :-D I think !!!!

Archived