bearing

van640

Hi, Have a 1999 fiat ducato 2.8jdt and just change front wheel bearing which is two taper roller bearings with a spacer sleeve. These were very tight going on and I presume are right as the spacer sleeve makes sure you can not over tighten bearings.I thought tapered bearings could not be pre-set. has anyone had any Esperance with this and know what torque hub nut should be and dose it mater if they are pre-set. Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks.

If I remember correctly, you tighten it up then back it off until you can insert the split pin. If it's tightened right up the bearing will overheat. Check online to get definitive info'.

Front wheel bearings on a front wheel drive must not have any play in them, if there is play then the bearing is FUBAR and needs to be replaced. Front wheel bearings on Sevel built vehicles will require the central hub nut to be tightened to a significantly high torque depending on chassis variant, I think from memory the Maxi chassis front wheel hub nut needs to be tightened to about 300-400 NM. Taper roller bearings can be "pre loaded" with the use of a central spacer between thie inner races. The Maxi chassis variants will need a significant hydraulic press to remove and refit the bearing which is a one piece unit, I've had one so tight it took a full ten Tonnes in the press and still wouldn't budge till a bit of warmth was applied.

D.

Thanks for info have been running for some time with play in both bearings but mot pointed to excessive play, so as I have the tools to do it removed hub to dismantle what I thought would be a single pre-set bearing. AS I have said both bearings were very tight to come off and same going on, both outer races were pushed on to there place followed by inner ones, when assembled still off vehicle and with out hub nut all play had gone. This I think is pre-set with spacer between each bearing. and the hub spins free. any thoughts thanks

Archived